B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

washer fluid leak

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2009, 02:14 PM
1st Gear
Default washer fluid leak

I've had a leak somewhere in my washer fluid system for a while, and today I found the location. The location is circled in the pic below; it seems to be coming from the small nozzle that connects the washer pump to the line. Does anyone have any suggestions as far as how to fix this goes? I was thinking of waiting for the fluid to drain, waiting for the nozzle to dry, and using some sort of resin around the nozzle, but if anyone has any suggestions they think would be better, I'd be much appreciative.

Old 02-20-2009, 03:51 PM
2nd Gear

I have a leak somewhere too but mine seems to be bigger or something because i put fluid in the tank and as i pour it starts coming out form the bottom. I think i might have a crack or something, need to check when it gets warmer

Old 02-20-2009, 05:17 PM
Site Moderator

May end up having to replace the hose/angle connector since it is so old it may have stretched and not provide a good seal anymore. Or maybe wrap some electrical tape around the pump nozzle to see if it gets a tighter fit (that would only be a temp fix obviously).

man, I have since replaced both pumps in mine (the pumps housings are known to crack after a time and leak), but my fluid still leaks out to just below the sensor level. Drives me insane. I have to look at it again this weekend.

Old 02-23-2009, 12:00 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Emilgevor
I have a leak somewhere too but mine seems to be bigger or something because i put fluid in the tank and as i pour it starts coming out form the bottom. I think i might have a crack or something, need to check when it gets warmer
This is just a suggestion, and possibly a far fetched one, but your leak might be due to what I originally thought was causing my leak. When I changed my timing chain, I had to take the whole front end of the car off. Part of disconnecting the bumper involved removing a tube that carries the washer fluid to the headlight washers. I was thinking that my leak was caused by myself ineffectively putting this back together when I put the bumper back on my car, as when I initially removed it, fluid just poured out of the bottom of the car. Regardless, maybe this is where your leak is originating?

Old 02-23-2009, 10:37 AM
Site Moderator

My leak is somewhere near the headlight washer pump, because it always drains out to just under the low-level sensor (which is just above that pump). It never drains empty - just enough to have the damn low fluid alert beep at me every day. It very well could be the hose connection to the bumper.

Old 02-23-2009, 02:08 PM
2nd Gear

you know what i think you are right because one of the headlight washers dont come out when i spray! I will have to look at it when its warmer out thanks for the reminder it might be it

Old 02-23-2009, 11:19 PM
1st Gear

Hey guys, i had the same issue, actually it happened more then one time it was like if i use the window washer like 2 or 3 times i think from the pressure that little tube used to pop off and drains all the fluid out. after couple times ive used this clamp thing http://www.roadraceengineering.com/p...amp-hd-std.jpg small one of course and it seems to be fine.

Old 02-24-2009, 12:27 AM
Site Moderator

after couple times ive used this clamp thing http://www.roadraceengineering.com/p...amp-hd-std.jpg small one of course and it seems to be fine.
Yeah a few people go to the clamps. Those are simple hose clamps you can get a home depot, by the way.