B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

What are the first mods I should make to my 1.8T ?

Old 05-20-2010, 09:01 PM
Lightbulb What are the first mods I should make to my 1.8T ?

Hey guys,
New here, just bought a 1997 A4 1.8T. I want to begin modding but don't know where to start. This is my first Audi as well as first turbo vehicle (I've always been into American muscle cars until recently). I'm looking to do some engine mods for improved horsepower, some ascetic mods to make it look sexy, as well as some pure show mods like a BOV/DV. At the moment I have around $500 to spend (just started a new job and checks will be arriving soon bringing me more money to work with). Can I get a few pointers/tips on where to start? Like I said, a few performance ups, visual ups, and show ups.

Thanks everyone

Old 05-20-2010, 09:20 PM
Tech Guru

ok, first off.... start with the newbie guide

but i would make sure the maintenance is up to date, if that is then i would do tune/boost gauge and dv combo... next wheels and suspension, then work your way to the big power...

but like i said read the newbie guide, it will tell you where to start and all that fun stuff

Old 05-20-2010, 09:49 PM

Maintenance is up to date. I bought the car from a friend of mine who is a mechanic. Turbo has been replaced, new clutch, new manifolds, new plugs, all fluids are new, new brake lines/pads/rotors... etc. And yes I've read the newbie stickies however things are not listed by any price and are just kinda spread out. I know what I SHOULD do, but where should I start. Just a list of maybe 4-6 things that I can do easily for a quick horsepower boost and nice looks for under $500.

Thanks

Old 05-20-2010, 09:51 PM
Site Moderator/B5 Tech Guru

The best bang for your buck is to chip it and put a new DV in, and boost gauge if you have a little extra spending money.

Old 05-20-2010, 09:59 PM
Tech Guru

Originally Posted by GET_SOME
Maintenance is up to date. I bought the car from a friend of mine who is a mechanic. Turbo has been replaced, new clutch, new manifolds, new plugs, all fluids are new, new brake lines/pads/rotors... etc. And yes I've read the newbie stickies however things are not listed by any price and are just kinda spread out. I know what I SHOULD do, but where should I start. Just a list of maybe 4-6 things that I can do easily for a quick horsepower boost and nice looks for under $500.

Thanks
wtf did he change the turbo and manifolds and not upgrade them?

but anyways:
you can find boost guage for about 80 bucks

dv look in the classifieds, i just sold one for like 75 bucks

and tune, i sold my apr for 300ish... all that is less than 500

but if you go to a dealer, you will pay 500 for just the tune

Old 05-20-2010, 11:10 PM
1st Gear

IMO Do your first 3 upgrades in this order: 1) Chip/DV 2)18" Audi style rims 3) Coilovers. The fourth thing to do would be your exhaust because it allows you to get more out of the chip. You can also paint your lowers at any time to match the rest of the car for a cheap mod that makes these cars look so much better.

Old 05-20-2010, 11:15 PM
2nd Gear

It's a 97, how many miles is on that thing?

I'll give it to you straight and show you what I've spent on my car, and I haven't even gotten to performance mods yet, and I'm a lil ticked at myself for that, but whatever.

Hawks HPS pads Front Only (ECS Tuning) $117.88
DDM HID Kit $94.63
S5 Projectors - Headlamps $273
Custom Europlate $44.95
Brake Rotors F+R $203.25
Magnaflow $180
Muffler Install $100
18inch RS4 Rims $521
Lowering Springs, Rear Pads, Spark Plugs $268
Tirerack - 4 Tires $428.86

$2113.87

I don't even have my tint in there, which was 130$. And my rims and tires haven't been mounted yet, I just got them. So you see where this is going.

You may want to seriously create a spread sheet and then think about what you want to really really really do. It will help, or next thing you know, you blew 2K on headlights and rims. And you could of blown that towards a turbo.

Last edited by mikekey; 05-20-2010 at 11:19 PM.
Old 05-21-2010, 12:48 AM
2nd Gear

500 bucks is a good little starter fund, but its all gunna grow exponentially.. but the best part is all of the maintenance you dont have to do

heres a list and costs to me.. ill put in order from the first i purchased til the last.

Hardwired iPod to glovebox new -$150 (crutchfield.com)
Forge DV new - $130
AWE boost gauge new ~$200 (awe-tuning.com)
K&N intake new - $70 (i think K&N's website)
Borla 2.25" cat back new - $760 (AWE)
Ebay short shifter new - $25
Xenon interior bulbs new - $50 (eurosporttuning.com)
18"x8" RS4 reps new - $450 (OE wheel distributors)
General UHP tires from tirerack new ~$340
APR tuned new - $350 (on sale for single program thru my mechanic who is an APR dealer)
VMR 2.5" test pipe new - $160 (ebay)
Depo 2 piece projectors new - $230
DDM 6000k HID lows new - $50

If i had $500 spare and i could do it all over again.. and were buying new like i did, boost gauge and DV.. HIDs would be a poor choice with the pre facelift (pre 99.5) headlights even though its inexpensive.. short shifter is an excellent upgrade.. the shifter isnt as nice quality as B&M or JHM but it works great and for the money is wellll worth it..

Old 05-21-2010, 10:00 AM
4th Gear

Chip since it has the biggest effect on how the car fells for $500.

Old 05-21-2010, 01:16 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by osin34
500 bucks is a good little starter fund, but its all gunna grow exponentially.. but the best part is all of the maintenance you dont have to do

heres a list and costs to me.. ill put in order from the first i purchased til the last.

Hardwired iPod to glovebox new -$150 (crutchfield.com)
Forge DV new - $130
AWE boost gauge new ~$200 (awe-tuning.com)
K&N intake new - $70 (i think K&N's website)
Borla 2.25" cat back new - $760 (AWE)
Ebay short shifter new - $25
Xenon interior bulbs new - $50 (eurosporttuning.com)
18"x8" RS4 reps new - $450 (OE wheel distributors)
General UHP tires from tirerack new ~$340
APR tuned new - $350 (on sale for single program thru my mechanic who is an APR dealer)
VMR 2.5" test pipe new - $160 (ebay)
Depo 2 piece projectors new - $230
DDM 6000k HID lows new - $50

If i had $500 spare and i could do it all over again.. and were buying new like i did, boost gauge and DV.. HIDs would be a poor choice with the pre facelift (pre 99.5) headlights even though its inexpensive.. short shifter is an excellent upgrade.. the shifter isnt as nice quality as B&M or JHM but it works great and for the money is wellll worth it..
You know AWE is charging 239 for that gauge now, but I found this: http://www.jhmotorsports.com/shop/ca...roducts_id=573

Hey how do you like your OE Wheels, I just got mine yesterday, but they haven't been mounted to a tire or the car just yet.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What are the first mods I should make to my 1.8T ?