B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

What are the first mods I should make to my 1.8T ?

Old 05-21-2010, 02:34 PM
2nd Gear

i abosoloutley love them.. theyre a pain to keep clean and looking perfect (short dirt road) especially when it rains.. but they look amazing and everyone gives me props on them and tell me they look awesome.. i really do love them. and the paint quality and quality of the wheel is outstanding.. in a few years only a couple VERY tiny knicks, you cant even notice them.. well worth the money

also yea ive noticed them charging more for their gauge now.. i know i paid less than 240 for it, but it was around 200 i think.. personally i like theirs way more than APRs.. looks way more OEM

Old 05-21-2010, 03:04 PM
1st Gear

Yeah Im def going with the AWE one since like what osin said, it has a definate oem look plus it has some hold buttons? i think. which is a plus

Old 05-21-2010, 03:11 PM
4th Gear

Just remember, when it comes to your visual mods, you're driving an awesome piece of German engineering, not a ricer. Modify accordingly.

Last edited by bradtyler02; 05-21-2010 at 05:46 PM.
Old 05-21-2010, 04:26 PM
2nd Gear

exactly.. which is why id never go with an A pillar mounted gauge/cluster.. i mean you can do whatever you want, but im sure by looking youll see what you like and dont like, and hopefully its tasteful and clean and not ricey lol im sure youll be fine.. im really considering getting another Omori (the gauge AWE uses in their vent boost gauge) for oil pressure and a third one would be awesome to go across all three center vents.. or possibly just the oil pressure in the center vent to go along with the boost in the left hand center vent

Old 05-21-2010, 05:53 PM
2nd Gear

The JHM motor sports looks pretty damn close to the AWE one. The ECS tuning one that is one piece, is pretty ugly along with APR's.

I'm with you, I want the car to look like a classy sexy car, not a rice rocket, not like eurotrash or a tuner. No offense but painting your wheels green to me screams imature teenager.

I dunno, maybe I'm ghetto, I just wanna look like a baller, shot caller, wish I was alil taller, wish I had a rabbit in the back....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MHkj804LCl0

Old 05-21-2010, 06:06 PM
4th Gear

I was thinking more along the lines of crazy body kits with a gawdy paint job and a huge wing on the back...

Don't get me wrong, a nice body kit that isn't excessive with a good, but low key paint job, lowered on some nice 17's or 18's looks great. Of course, it's your car, and it's up to the owner of what he or she wants to do with it. But, you will find that 99% of Audi owners on this forum frown on the whole ricer thing.

But, back to the original question. Your first mod should be a chip and DV (and skip the BOV idea altogether). The gains vs. the money spent is incredible. After that, save up for a good cat-back exhaust (I love my NeuSpeed, sounds good and is a little cheaper than most others) and through in a test pipe (if you don't have to worry about emissions testing) or HFC (if you need to pass emissions).

When you get your chip, make sure you regap your spark plugs (better yet, buy new ones) to .028.

I wouldn't worry about a new intake at first. The stock set up is pretty efficient, but a high quality drop in filter should help, but avoid K&N, or any other oiled filter. Some people have major MAF problems after using K&N. Some people don't have any problems at all. I say, why risk it.

Get yourself a new N75 valve from ECS Tuning for about 75 bucks. I can't speak from personal experience yet, but I've heard a few good things about them. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, because I plan to order on myself in the near future.

I'm pretty pleased with my GlowShift boost guage. It wasn't too expensive, and on the red setting, it matches pretty close. I hesitated for a bit about putting it in my left center vent, but finally broke down and did it, and it turned out pretty nice. I even purposely recessed it a bit so it would be a little more flush, and canted it slightly to the driver's side.

I'm not sure if you noticed or not, but I haven't even started into visual mods yet... you gotta make sure the performance is good to go before you try to make you car look like it can go fast...

Old 05-21-2010, 06:22 PM
4th Gear

Funny part is that even if the oil filter was not what caused the MAF to go bad it is going to get blamed for it just because it is on the car and everyone keeps saying it is the reason their maf went bad. But yet K&N has already proven that fact to be FALSE many years ago.

If your car blows up while your woman is in the car and it ran perfectly fine when she wasn't, does that mean she blew up your car?

Old 05-21-2010, 06:58 PM
2nd Gear

lol i like what youre sayin mike.. my maf coincidently did die the winter after i installed my K&N intake in early summer.. but it could have been anything.. ive since gone a full year with my other (used) maf with no issues.. but i think its time i clean that filter hahah

Old 05-22-2010, 01:18 AM
1st Gear

i would never spend 200+ for a boost gauge thats just insane i paid $36 shipped for the VDO gauge from jegs and spent 2 hours making the center vent with my dremel and it looks just as good and i highly doubt the k&n filter is the cause for the maf going bad its just a crap part audi has like the icm's and the coils

Old 05-22-2010, 03:33 AM
4th Gear

All I'm saying is that I've heard too many complaints about the oil from the K&N filters fouling up the MAF sensor. I'm not saying it does, I'm not saying it doesn't. It's the same arguement about the whole DV/BOV. Some say they have no problems, other's can't get their car to run afterwards. I say, why risk it...?

And yes, Mike, IF I let a woman drive my car (HUGE IF), and it blew up... TOTALLY her fault... hahaha!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What are the first mods I should make to my 1.8T ?