B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

What are the first mods I should make to my 1.8T ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2010, 09:35 AM
4th Gear

No I didn't say she was driving, just said she was in the car at the time. Just like the K&N filter was in the car at the time.

Most people blame something they have no clue about which is how things get a bad rap. Most of all the oil issues on those types of filters is because the user soaks the filter after they clean it and this happens because way too many people use a product without reading the directions first. I have seen cars come in to shops that had filters that looked like they were actually dipped into a bucket of oil and the customer wondering why the car wasn't running anymore. lol

Just like how the Lucas oil additive got a bad rap even though it does NOT foam up like 1 person said, it blew up from there with everyone saying it foams even though they had never even used it or tested it themself. You cant believe everything you read on the web because 99.9999% of the time it is just hear say.

Old 05-22-2010, 01:26 PM
4th Gear

Hmmm... well, if she was in the car, but not driving it, and the car blew up...

Yep still her fault!

Old 05-22-2010, 02:51 PM
1st Gear

definately a chip first without a doubt. but definately read up on the companys. and think about what your gonna want to do later one with the car. i got a giac it was great major difference, like the the motor actually belonged in the car now. haha. with the upgraded dv of course. i got my boost gauge from podi.ca theres just something about the center vent ones that im not into. and since all you have to play with is 500 thats pretty much all you get until those checks come rolling in.

also, i use lucas oil additive, hasnt messed anything up for me. i've used it in every vehical i've ever owned. why not add it, if you've got high miles you could always use the extra protection.

Old 02-16-2022, 01:02 AM
1st Gear
Default Wheels

Originally Posted by osin34
500 bucks is a good little starter fund, but its all gunna grow exponentially.. but the best part is all of the maintenance you dont have to do

heres a list and costs to me.. ill put in order from the first i purchased til the last.

Hardwired iPod to glovebox new -$150 (crutchfield.com)
Forge DV new - $130
AWE boost gauge new ~$200 (awe-tuning.com)
K&N intake new - $70 (i think K&N's website)
Borla 2.25" cat back new - $760 (AWE)
Ebay short shifter new - $25
Xenon interior bulbs new - $50 (eurosporttuning.com)
18"x8" RS4 reps new - $450 (OE wheel distributors)
General UHP tires from tirerack new ~$340
APR tuned new - $350 (on sale for single program thru my mechanic who is an APR dealer)
VMR 2.5" test pipe new - $160 (ebay)
Depo 2 piece projectors new - $230
DDM 6000k HID lows new - $50

If i had $500 spare and i could do it all over again.. and were buying new like i did, boost gauge and DV.. HIDs would be a poor choice with the pre facelift (pre 99.5) headlights even though its inexpensive.. short shifter is an excellent upgrade.. the shifter isnt as nice quality as B&M or JHM but it works great and for the money is wellll worth it..
what size tires did you put on the RS4 reps?

Old 02-16-2022, 08:37 AM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by turbo kraut
ok, first off.... start with the newbie guide

but i would make sure the maintenance is up to date, if that is then i would do tune/boost gauge and dv combo... next wheels and suspension, then work your way to the big power...

but like i said read the newbie guide, it will tell you where to start and all that fun stuff
+1000

Newb guide has every answer you're looking for. You can also read other members sigs. They have plenty of info in them.

Welcome and G/L!