B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

writeup on A/C compressor replacement?

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2010, 10:03 PM
1st Gear
Default writeup on A/C compressor replacement?

Hello

I did a search and couldn't find what I needed. I am probably going to need to replace my Dad's A/C compressor on his 1996 A4 2.8 FWD. Its blowing warm air.

He took it to a shop and they wanted $1400 just to fix the compressor, the dry filter and expansion valve. And there still may be a leak elsewhere in the system after that is done. Apparently, the compressor is not holding pressure. But they wanted to replace the dryer and expansion valve in order to keep the compressor under warranty. yada yada yada.

I am not that familiar with Audi's, because I have an E34 525i. So I was hoping I could find a write-up on A/C compressor replacement. I can get all those parts for roughly around $500 for new and rebuilt.

I am assuming I will have to take apart the whole front end of the car to get to it to replace it? Is there anyway to replace the compressor, dryer and expansion value without taking off the bumper and what not? I am hoping the leak problem is just in the compressor which is shot and not in the evaporator. Because there is no way in he** I am taking out an Audi dash.

I also suppose I need a Bentley manual for this car too. :/

Any tips? or write ups?

thanks

Old 06-04-2010, 10:08 PM
Site Moderator

You just have to move the front end forward, however its possible to get out of there without taking off the bumper and lock carrier. There is just 4 bolts holding the compressor on, then un-do the lines, it should be pretty straight forward.

The front end is surprisingly easy to remove though.

Old 06-04-2010, 10:25 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by auditech79
You just have to move the front end forward, however its possible to get out of there without taking off the bumper and lock carrier. There is just 4 bolts holding the compressor on, then un-do the lines, it should be pretty straight forward.

The front end is surprisingly easy to remove though.
cool thanks. seems pretty straight forward. Would a compressor not holding pressure be the cause of a leak and result in juts blowing warm air? or do you think it probably something else too.

Also, are the dryer and expansion valve accessible from the engine bay?

Old 06-04-2010, 10:31 PM
Site Moderator

Leak? probably not, but a blown compressor would cause the pressures on both the low and high side to be the same, which won't work.
The leak is probably either coming fromt the condenser, the shrader valve on the charge ports, or somewhere on the evaporator.
You don't need to replace the dryer and expansion valve, however if you leave the system exposed to air for longer than a few hours you WILL need the reciever dryer.
I would replace the compressor then take it to an A/C shop to have it put under a vacuum for 45 minutes boiling off the air, then have them inject the refrigerant with dye. Run the A/C for a few days of normal driving then try and locate the dye with a black light, it should look neon green under a black light.

Old 06-04-2010, 10:37 PM
1st Gear

Leak? probably not, but a blown compressor would cause the pressures on both the low and high side to be the same, which won't work.
The leak is probably either coming fromt the condenser, the shrader valve on the charge ports, or somewhere on the evaporator.
You don't need to replace the dryer and expansion valve, however if you leave the system exposed to air for longer than a few hours you WILL need the reciever dryer.
I would replace the compressor then take it to an A/C shop to have it put under a vacuum for 45 minutes boiling off the air, then have them inject the refrigerant with dye. Run the A/C for a few days of normal driving then try and locate the dye with a black light, it should look neon green under a black light.
cool. will do. So the dryer or expansion valve wouldn't be a cause of a leak? The car had dye put in it at some point and they didn't see anything coming from the engine bay after they checked. So that tells me evaporator But my Dad seems to think that maybe him driving it in heavy rain would have washed the dye out. I dunno about that.

The compressor needs to be done first anyways I guess.

Thanks again.

Old 06-04-2010, 10:42 PM
2nd Gear

If you do this could you post pictures/DIY?

Old 06-04-2010, 10:46 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Skythe
If you do this could you post pictures/DIY?
will do. Won't be til July though, when I get back to CA. Currently changing my car from an auto to 5 speed.

Old 06-05-2010, 02:34 PM
Site Moderator

Originally Posted by darrenforeal
cool. will do. So the dryer or expansion valve wouldn't be a cause of a leak? The car had dye put in it at some point and they didn't see anything coming from the engine bay after they checked. So that tells me evaporator But my Dad seems to think that maybe him driving it in heavy rain would have washed the dye out. I dunno about that.

The compressor needs to be done first anyways I guess.

Thanks again.
The evaporator is on the common side unfortunately, but i would put in more dye just to make sure though, can't hurt.

Old 06-06-2010, 11:12 AM
1st Gear

The evaporator is on the common side unfortunately, but i would put in more dye just to make sure though, can't hurt.
Ya, I'll replace the compressor then do the dye deal. FUN STUFF

Old 07-14-2011, 10:38 PM
1st Gear

when replacing the compressor, what type of oil do you put in the compressor? I have seen a 2 oz can of compressor oil for like $60 and I have seen refrigerant cans that say they already have oil in them... just don't want to over do or under do it. Thanks.