B6 Models Please discuss all 2002 - 2005 B6 A4 topics here...

03 1.8T Quattro 5sp/78k

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2010, 09:27 PM
1st Gear
Default 03 1.8T Quattro 5sp/78k

A local dealership has one listed at $9900 and wanted to get some insight before I go back down there to look at it again.

I have a 95 A6 2.8 Q A4 w/ 126k miles and she's treated me well, however, the thought of having a "T" seems nice...but at least w/ my A6, I know it's not going to brake down.

Of course this car is w/o warranty and warranty direct has quoted me $230/mo for extended Warranty!!! Which compared to my 95 being only $91/mo makes me think they have a LOT of claims.

My research has found that the CVT is a serious issue and then of course the TB and turbo can BE a serious issue down the road.

The price is non-negotiable.

What should I bring to the table in terms of questions other than Tranny, Turbo, TB questions?

Would it be advantages to have a local shop look at it? Would they be able to see/detect things that typically go wrong w/ this model that typically go undetected until it's to late?

Thanks in advance.

Old 10-10-2010, 07:21 PM
1st Gear

I don't know much but there are better deals then that and you have answered all of your questions and the timming belt would need to be changed soon so that some $$ right there. I say walk.

Old 10-10-2010, 10:50 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by gooddriver?
I don't know much but there are better deals then that and you have answered all of your questions and the timming belt would need to be changed soon so that some $$ right there. I say walk.
After sleeping on it and thinking about it today, I would have to agree. Walk. I'm almost certain the TB hasn't been done yet and in all likely hood would immediately become a problem shortly after I sign the paperwork and drive off the lot w/ it.

Thanks for the input.

Old 10-11-2010, 09:39 AM
1st Gear

I'd run like the wind just because it's a CVT, regardless of any other concerns. Even if the car is in perfect, needs nothing condition, I've just heard too many horror stories about the CVT. Find a manual transmission and/or a quattro and you'll be much, much safer long term.

Old 10-11-2010, 10:15 AM
2nd Gear

Ok the thread title says 5 spd and quattro, so there is no way this car has a cvt. But, it still sounds like a bad deal. I just sold a 5 speed quattro avant in great shape with 75k miles for 9500, and thats a very rare car. Extended warranty on that car would have been 3300. Not worth it, especially on a manual trans.

Old 10-11-2010, 11:13 AM
1st Gear

Yeah, I mentioned CVT because the OP did in his post. Does seem contradictory with the thread title...

Old 10-11-2010, 01:08 PM
1st Gear

Sorry for the Confusion. I only mention CVT for the fact that there were Tranny issues, of course CVT having nothing to do w/ the M5, but that there could possibly be tranny related issues w/ the manual that somebody may have mentioned that I wasn't able to find via search.

My bad.

Old 10-11-2010, 01:11 PM
1st Gear

Either way, I don't "feel" good about it, so I'll wait until after winter time to look again. Maybe by then, I might find a great deal on a b7. We'll see.

Either way, thanks again for the input.