B6 Models Please discuss all 2002 - 2005 B6 A4 topics here...

Can't resync key fob

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2009, 02:48 PM
Cool Can't resync key fob

What's up guys? I'm back for more advice. This time it's a different problem. I've got a 2004 Audi A4. I bought the car used, and it only had one key fob. It has been working fine until recently, and now it doesn't work at all. I've attempted to resync it following the instructions in the manual, but it doesn't work. I also changed the battery to be sure. The fuse for the alarm is fine also. The only cause I can think of is that I used an OBD II tool recently to clear a code after I replaced a coil pack. Any ideas? I'm just about frustrated. Thanks in advance.

Old 08-20-2009, 04:56 PM
3rd Gear

That happened to me once, I just opened it with the key and drove it like that, apparently the key will sync itself once the car is turned on, I didn't know that and it sync'ed itself, after it was working I went and got another key. 300 USD.

Old 08-20-2009, 05:06 PM
1st Gear

I have the same problem on my B5. I replaced the battery, resync'ed the key, it worked, but then gradually stopped working. I'm not sure what to do, but I think my key may have gone bad and is draining the key battery.

Old 08-20-2009, 05:25 PM

I talked to the local Audi dealer. "Dickie" (ha) advised me to turn the key into the accessory position, and hold down the unlock or lock button for a few seconds. This didn't work either. I can't think of anything else to try. Maybe I'm holding my mouth wrong?

Old 08-20-2009, 07:39 PM
3rd Gear

You can still use your blade right? the only thing that doesn't work is the remote? Maybe it just went bad...

Edit:

They sell the remotes with the blank blades on ebay for about 30 dollars (that's where I got mine) you could use one of those and put your blade in it, the new remote should sync with no problem...

Last edited by Dan1969; 08-20-2009 at 07:41 PM. Reason: Added remote thingy magingy...
Old 08-21-2009, 11:14 AM

Thanks for the advice. I may eventually check into a replacement remote. For some reason when I got to work today it was magically working again. Got to love technology. Thanks for the help.

Old 08-21-2009, 11:11 PM
3rd Gear

If you don't want to spend the 300 dollars of the new remote you can buy a valet or emergency key, it'll run your for about 200 bucks. The transponder still needs to be programmed to your car by the dealer...

Old 12-14-2010, 03:12 PM
1st Gear
Default Similar problems

Ok, I've read the thread and seems similar to my issue. I recently bought a 2003 A4 Cabriolet 3.0 (my first Audi) and the battery was dead in one FOB and died very soon in the other. I got new batteries and replaced them then looked up in the manual for resync.

Well, I was lucky because the former owner had written in ink that the REAL method was to put one key in the ignition in accessory and then put the other key in the door and turn "Left, Right, Left." I did that and it worked (I think I pressed "unlock on the key first, but that wasn't in his instructions). So happy day.

Except... I did the same thing a day later switching the keys (so the one I use was in the ignition this time and my wife's one was going "L-R-L" and it worked, my wife's FOB could operate the keyless. However, MY FOB now lost it's ability to work the keyless. It is like it re-wrote the sync from the day earlier.

Anyone have any ideas?

Old 12-14-2010, 05:45 PM
4th Gear

thats they only way i know to resynce the key. Left right left and hold for a second. Then go drive around should wake up after a little bit of driving.

Old 12-14-2010, 06:59 PM
1st Gear

hey guys im new to audi too. for some reason my remote quits working too every few weeks...........

here is how i sync it every time....................

hold the unlock button on the FOB for 5 seconds. let go and insert into the ignition and start the car. then drive it and then it syncs.

Quick Reply: Can't resync key fob