B6 Models Please discuss all 2002 - 2005 B6 A4 topics here...

2004 A4 1.8T Quattro suspicious leak and timing belt

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2016, 03:34 PM
1st Gear
Default 2004 A4 1.8T Quattro suspicious leak and timing belt

I just bought a 2004 A4 1.8T Quattro with 53,000 miles. I was doing some work on the wheels when I noticed some fluid stained my drive way. It's coming from the front and center of the vehicle, it looks like oil but it could be coolant,

I can't really tell. I took my car to my local Audi dealer they said that the timing belt had some wear in it and I needed to fix that ASAP, and that there was something with a gasket and the water pump (which is why Idk if it's coolant or oil). They said the fixes were just recommendations aside from the timing belt.

I've owned a few A4's in my time so Im used to fixing things, but right now Audi priced it at around $2k USD. I'm a disabled combat veteran (Marine Corps) who can't work so obviously Im not made of money, my question is

1. Should I just buy the timing belt and bring it to Audi or a local mech to save myself money, I'm pretty sure it was like $200 on ECS

2. How serious is the leaking fluid? Honestly the spot is only about the size of my fist and I've read this is a relatively minor issue, my last A4 was an 08 and burned oil like MF I used to have to quart up ever 1.5 months, not a big deal. Any suggests, tips, tricks DIY's?

I attached some pics because she's a really nice looking car, I did all of the exterior customs myself

Attached Thumbnails 2004 A4 1.8T Quattro suspicious leak and timing belt-img_8395.jpg   2004 A4 1.8T Quattro suspicious leak and timing belt-img_8396.jpg  
Old 08-08-2016, 08:48 AM
1st Gear

of course the timing belt has 'some wear.' about 53,000 miles worth. they should last 75-100,000 miles. the timing belt job is a kit with water pump, tensioner, etc. you need to do the timing belt yourself or find a local german shop - not the dealer. as for the leak, just watch your coolant tank level and your oil level. put a newspaper under the leak and determine what color it is.

Old 08-15-2016, 11:31 PM
1st Gear

it might be 53k worth of wear on the timing belt but you also have to consider its age. That is very likely an original belt that is going on 13 years old. For an A4 to have that few miles on it, it has likely sat for some time which would lead to some dried up seals here and there. Find a decent local german shop and get the full timing belt service done with water pump, serpentine tensioner and belt, etc. Decent place will run you about an even $1k but you will have piece of mind for the engine criticals. Some places might even let you bring them your parts but be sure you confirm before spending the cash. I would also look into having them do the coolant flange as that 0-ring might be your leak issue.

Good luck!

Old 08-30-2016, 06:52 PM
1st Gear
Default Hard to get

Not that I am an expert, but just had to deal with such a problem recently. I have coolant loss and did not take it seriously. Then it overheated in the middle of the highway. The pump was gone. A very slow leak first, then it just leaks. By that time you will be hearing the awful metallic whining it makes. Timing belt is serious matter. There are gaskets around it that may leak oil slowly. If it goes it can ruin the engine instantly apparently. Oil and coolant collect in a little pan and not always visible. You can see from top with a light.
Problem is these are very difficult to get to. You need to remove the whole front. If you have a garage and some tools, doable, but I did not. Whole thing is a kit. Maybe possible to buy cheaply separately. Dealer asked for my first born, went to a local mechanic and got raped anyway.

Old 09-03-2016, 11:03 PM
1st Gear

M, you have covered much ground here. all cars leak. you have described coolant and oil leaks that went to the bottom, I guess. If one does not check their fluids commonly, then they just might as well run the thing off a cliff. same result. I know your mechanic loves you. and this really is a site for DIY peeps. cheers