B6 Models Please discuss all 2002 - 2005 B6 A4 topics here...

A4 Expensive Timing Belt replacement

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2008, 03:05 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by CRAZYHAWK
My local independent shop charges $500 for the timing belt job.

www.edge-motors.com
That's Sergei's place, right? Crazy Russian, lol. Highly recommended in the VAG community.

Old 12-06-2008, 08:37 PM

Where you from? Is that Canadian dollars or US dollars? I only ask cuz your saying things in kilometers instead of miles... Etc... I know the metric system is so much better but just wondering anyways... Cuz I know the canadian dollar is a lot more...

Old 12-08-2008, 06:02 PM

Yikes... $4000 is serious overkill, even for the V6 3.0.

My mechanic (and I swear, it's seriously a good idea to get a local mechanic you know and trust who you visit regularly so you don't get hosed) who happily broke down the costs of this procedure for me.

It does take 6+ hours for the timing belt replacement labor-wise, and it can take 7+ hours for the water pump -- so get 'em both done at once! The timing belts aren't horribly expensive, but the water pump can be around $200. The procedure is pretty labor extensive and requires removal of the front bumper etc, hence the high labor costs, so still, like one of the earlier people on this thread mentioned, a quote of anything between $800 to $1200 isn't unreasonable for this.

Probably worth getting it done around 75,000 miles too. You know that if that timing belt breaks while driving you're looking at serious damage, then that $4000 repair cost (probably more) would be very likely.

I'm not an expert on this -- just been doing some research -- so anyone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong on this!

Old 12-10-2008, 07:30 AM
Default 02 A4, 3.0 Timing Belt job, Canadian cost

Had my 02 A4 3.0 timing belt, tensioners, accessory belt & tensioner, waterpump and cam end seals changed at the same, by a good independant import mechanic for $1,400 CDN (taxes extra).

Tom

Old 12-23-2008, 01:27 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by A4 2Discover
Had my 02 A4 3.0 timing belt, tensioners, accessory belt & tensioner, waterpump and cam end seals changed at the same, by a good independant import mechanic for $1,400 CDN (taxes extra).

Tom
What mileage did you have the belts done? I'm coming up on 70k

3.0 Q B6 Avant

Old 06-15-2009, 01:23 PM
1st Gear

Hi All,

I bought my 2000 Audi A4 Quattro 1.8L Turbo in June 2008 at about 98,000 miles. The car ran great then and still runs fine, but I am concerned about its performance as I've noticed an overall decrease in driving power and a belt noise under the hood. I want to say the previous owner had the timing belts changed, but did not want to second chance this as I know what a PITA it is if this is not changed.

I wanted to see if anyone knows how reputable the following mechanic is as they are posting a pretty good deal on their timing belt repair (and other repairs), and I'm trying to avoid being taken to the cleaners by the dealership. Their information is as follows:

www.eurospecmotoring.com
Craigslist posting: http://losangeles.craigslist.org/lac...218140259.html

Also, what is the average repair time for a timing belt/water pump, and how much can I purchase all the parts for at a auto store (i.e. Auto Zone, Kragen, etc.)?

Any help/information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Jeff

Old 06-22-2012, 10:05 AM
1st Gear

hey every one i have a serious problem with my car it is a 2002 a4 3.0 i think my ecu is fried sometimes when i fire up the car it will rev up to 3000rpm and will stay there until i start driving and after about 5 min it will go back to normal.. and if i turn of the engine it wont start up after about 20 min so i have to wait every time.( this happens rarely)!! Also when i drive the car in the rain it wont start after until i boost it because the battery completely dies. and i see white smoke coming from the battery's positive terminal! recently the car will not start at all! i was told it is the alternator.. any advice?

Old 01-27-2013, 10:12 PM
1st Gear

When I was an Audi VW tech we got paid 5 hours to do the timing belt in a 3.0 and parts were around $600. Which is roughly $1200 at the most. I have done hundreds of these timing belts on the side for customers for $750. The only time I have seen customers spend that much was when the belt broke and bent the valves or one of the cams wore a hole through a lifter and the head needed to come off.

--------------
Reed
Street Visions
Street Visions Used Cars BMW, Mercedes, Audi, VW, Saab

Last edited by Reed Johnson; 01-27-2013 at 10:23 PM.
Old 05-11-2015, 08:17 PM
1st Gear

[QUOTE=m5racer;767390]wow thats rediclious, if they charged you 4,400 jsut to replace the timming belt you got ripped off bigtime. Im pretty shure the with parts and labor a timming belt on a 1.8t should cost:

Independent shop 700-800
Audi Dealer 1,000-1,1000

I recently got this done. Had the water pump done separately earlier, but took it in for a fuel pump replacement and got timing belt and tensioner done. Fuel pump and belt and tensioner total was $1075. Independent shop. Took two days. Feel like it was a solid deal.

Old 05-20-2015, 12:11 AM
1st Gear

Just as another data point, my 2004 A4 3.0 is getting a T-belt job (including water pump) AND oil change AND overall inspection (just bought the car and need a baseline) for just under $2400. Given they need the car for a day and a half, I thought it was fair.

And don't be fooled by miles - rubber degrades over time! My A4 has 75k miles and I'm feeling like I'm on borrowed time. If the car is over 10 years old, disregard mileage when it comes to an interference engine and a timing belt. Unless you always wondered what it sounds like when pistons meet valves...

Quick Reply: A4 Expensive Timing Belt replacement