B6 Models Please discuss all 2002 - 2005 B6 A4 topics here...

Air lock in power steering or pump knackered?

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2011, 04:09 PM
1st Gear
Default Air lock in power steering or pump knackered?

Hi, I was getting a really bad groaning noise coming from my a4 b6 1.9 tdi 130 power steering pump so yesterday I did a full bleed and refill which I thought had cured it. Once I'd refilled it I done the bleed procedure, leave cap open turn steering wheel full lock to full lock at least 10 times then top up fluid as required, and as I drove it out of my garage it seemed quite. Got in it the next morning and it was groaning like there was a dolphin stuck under the bonnet! Checked the fluid level and it was bang on full. Tried to bleed the air out of the system again using same method but this time I must have turned the wheel lock to lock at least 30 times but it's made no difference!

Could there still be air in there? Any idea how to get it out? Or does it sound like the pumps goosed?

Ps I used the proper Audi fluid that I got direct from the dealer so it is the correct stuff

Thanks for any help

Old 10-22-2011, 03:48 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by jimmybeattie
Hi, I was getting a really bad groaning noise coming from my a4 b6 1.9 tdi 130 power steering pump so yesterday I did a full bleed and refill which I thought had cured it. Once I'd refilled it I done the bleed procedure, leave cap open turn steering wheel full lock to full lock at least 10 times then top up fluid as required, and as I drove it out of my garage it seemed quite. Got in it the next morning and it was groaning like there was a dolphin stuck under the bonnet! Checked the fluid level and it was bang on full. Tried to bleed the air out of the system again using same method but this time I must have turned the wheel lock to lock at least 30 times but it's made no difference!

Could there still be air in there? Any idea how to get it out? Or does it sound like the pumps goosed?

Ps I used the proper Audi fluid that I got direct from the dealer so it is the correct stuff

Thanks for any help
Does the fluid look foamy after driving the car????That obviously would indicate air in there.I had the same issue with my 04 Audi 3.0,noise,groan,and noticed foamy fluid on the reservoir.I flushed the system with new fluid and still the same problem air in the system.Finally someone on the internet suggested to replace the stupid BANJO fitting from the pump hose, and BINGO!!!!!!! No more noise or groan or foam!!! 75 cents hose clamp fixed the problem.