B6 Models Please discuss all 2002 - 2005 B6 A4 topics here...

Any happy 2002 Audi A4 3.0 Quattro sedan owners out there?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2010, 06:42 PM
1st Gear
Default Any happy 2002 Audi A4 3.0 Quattro sedan owners out there?

Getting one myself next week, but I'm overwhelmed by negative posters all over the web about this particular car. Are just the squeaky wheels making all the noise out there? Or does a happy 2002 Audi A4 3.0 driver exist that hasn't had all the multitude of problems I've seen out there (wipers failing, ignition coil and cat failure, gobs of electrical issues, etc, etc) ??? I'm hoping for reassurance that I'm not getting a lemon. The car I'm looking at is in mint condition, but I know looks can be deceiving.

Old 05-07-2010, 06:34 PM
3rd Gear

I'll stick my neck out. I bought a 2003 A4 3.0 MT6 with 69k miles in August 2008 for my daughter. Now at 81k. When I bought it I received the entire service record from the dealer (the previous owner had it serviced by Audi). I replaced brake pads, replaced the dinosaur oil with Mobil1, and recently changed the transmission and differential fluids and flushed the brake system. All this was maintenance, no issues.

It did show an occasional CEL for missing. When I received the coilpack letter I took it into the dealer who told me the coilpacks were great but the cats needed replacement. With 79k on the car, it was done under warranty. Since then I have had the CEL come back for the clutch pedal switch which has been replaced, but the CEL returned. This is annoying but not serious, and my indie will take care of it when I have time to get the car back to him.

Otherwise the car is solid, comfortable, and so far reliable. I like the size more than my A6, but I needed the larger car. My daughter loves the car, and in black/black and clean/waxed, it is a striking looking vehicle.

Old 05-07-2010, 08:08 PM

i thought i'd post since i had that same exact car. i bought that car with 62k miles on it in Jan 2009. It ran great until Jan 3, 2010. Out of nowhere i started it up, and it ran like garbage. Long story short, the timing belt didn't snap, but teeth were "sheared" off, and all my exhaust valves were bent. After $2800 for that repair, the car still ran like garbage, so i traded it in on March 24, 2010 for a Honda Civic (i don't work full time anymore, full time college student) because i needed something cheap/reliable.

I loved that car and took great care of it, but that timing belt went at 76k miles. Get that service done ASAP if you haven't no matter what the mileage is. I hope to one day own another Audi, b/c that was the only issue i had. I ended up losing a lot of money on the car, but you live and you learn. Hope you enjoy your car.

Old 05-08-2010, 06:14 AM
1st Gear

Thanks for the posts. I was beginning to think that with no replies, that was my answer to my rhetorical question! Luckily, the seller recently replaced the timing belt and water pump (with receipt as proof) and one cat will be replaced too. I'm currently driving a 1999 Mazda Protege purchased new and now with 212K miles. Runs great, only routine maintenance done on it (3 timing belts, fluids, brakes, tires etc). Never has had electrical issues and I've never been stranded and still has original clutch. Given that problem-free car, I'm looking to move upscale with the A4, but I guess I'll have to get used to opening up my wallet more!

Old 05-08-2010, 08:25 PM
3rd Gear

I got an 04. I like it.

Old 05-13-2010, 05:22 PM
Default 2002-a4 3.0

I bought mine in 2006 with 54K miles on it. I am now at 155K miles. Only 2 major (over $500) repairs. Great car fun to drive. If you take care of it it will take care of you. Be prepared to spend a lil more on day to day stuff. Like gas, tires, oil changes, wipers.

Old 05-15-2010, 01:23 AM
1st Gear

Yup, i have one and i love it 83k miles, put a new timing belt/fluids...Took mine up to the mountains today i haven't had that much fun in so long...I get around 20-25mpg on shell 91, pretty good for a 3.0 v6. But the most important thing about the car is that you have to take care of it, and the power is perfect on it and evenly balanced..it goes fast when you want it to go fast

Old 05-15-2010, 11:34 AM
1st Gear

Thanks for all the reassuring posts. I got it a few days ago and am loving it. Drove in a hard thunderstorm and it was rock solid. Very proud to own one and it really puts a smile on my face when I'm behind the wheel.

Old 05-15-2010, 11:50 AM
Site Moderator

Its a great car don't get me wrong, it just isn't the best design audi has ever made. As long as you're aware that you will be spending more for maintenance/repairs, then it shouldn't be an issue. It will serve you well for several hundred thousand miles, just remember that the timing belt is a major issue with this engine, don't wait longer than 80k to change that belt.....EVER. There is another issue starting to come up, and thats wearing away the cam lobe on a random camshaft. Audi doesn't know the cause but speculation is the lifters get starved of oil (or clogged) which puts added pressure on the cam lobe.
So if you develop a random misfire on one cylinder, and replacing the ignition coil pack doesn't fix it, pull the valve cover and take a look at the cam lobes.

Old 05-17-2010, 10:19 AM
Former Sponsor

Ray (shop owner) has had one for a long time, it has 150k+ on it and gets driven every day. No problems. The 3.0L engine is reliable, it does need the timing belt service and upkeep on maintenance though.

Quick Reply: Any happy 2002 Audi A4 3.0 Quattro sedan owners out there?