B6 Models Please discuss all 2002 - 2005 B6 A4 topics here...

AAAAHHhhhhhhhh!!! Help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2009, 03:02 PM
Default AAAAHHhhhhhhhh!!! Help!!!

So yesterday I was driving on the highway driving at a constant 70mph and suddenly the car starting slowing down, I tried to hit the gas and the car would not respond. So I get to the shoulder and get it towed to my local mechanic. I am being told that my timing belt went; which then damaged the valves in my engine and i'm being told I need a new engine. Mechanic told me he can get a engine w/ 80k installed with new timing belt, water pump, and tensioner for $3300. The car has 83k miles on it I bought it less then 2 months ago for $8,500 only had a 30day warranty on. I'm completely lost and have no clue what to do. I am on a really tight budget. Please offer suggestions, advice, recommendations. Please Thanks.

2002 A4 Quattro 1.8t

Last edited by briaziz; 01-10-2009 at 03:21 PM.
Old 01-11-2009, 10:53 AM

Well, the mechanic is correct - if the TB breaks your valves get bent and some major work needs to be done. The mechanically inclined might take it apart and rebuild with new valves, pistons, etc. A complete swap might be best for you, though. It depends on you, really.

Audi initially said our cars were due for a TB at 100k miles. With time they discovered the plastic impeller on the water pump can break and destroy the belt. They then decided to recommend the TB be changed earlier. I don't recall exactly but it could be 80k or 90k. I do know they have started inspecting them much sooner. They check mine when I have it there but I did my TB with some buddies at 75k.

I'm sorry I don't really have any advice for you. The best I can offer is reviewing the lemon laws. If you find something in there and can also find proof the TB should have been changed at 80k, you might find a way out. Finally, always use synthetic oil and a large oil filter in our 1.8 engine, oil sludge is the other well known issue you want to avoid.

Old 01-12-2009, 04:01 PM

briaziz

I'm pretty much in the same water. However, if I was in your situation I jump on that engine swap with your local mechanic. My mechanic is asking for a new engine long block which pretty much cost $4000 more or less + other parts here and there + labor = totalling $7000

Let me know how yours turn out. Like you I just bought my car used with 81k on it last Dec. 13 and it broke down Jan 2, 09

Been looking round online for a used engine or long block, so far unsuccessful

Old 01-12-2009, 04:27 PM

The manual on the 2002 states that the timing belt should be changed at 105K. Audi sent out a TSB stating that owners need to have the timing belt inspected by the dealer (at Audi's cost I believe) to see if required changing prior to the 105K. Do you have the service records? If you have record of inspection that states it doesn't need to be replaced, Audi may replace/rebuild the engine for you. Even if you don't have record of this, check with your Audi dealer. It may still be covered since the owners manual states 105K.

Hope this helps.

Old 01-14-2009, 08:54 AM
1st Gear

Have u tried the scrap yard for any jettas 1.8t? they have the same engine as we do. maybe u got better luck there and cheaper price