B6 Models Please discuss all 2002 - 2005 B6 A4 topics here...

Auxiliary Water Pump

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2008, 06:31 PM
1st Gear
Default Auxiliary Water Pump

OK, first off let me say that I did search, but couldn't find anything. I'm pretty sure that it is my auxiliary water pump from what I've read (the leak is coming from the back-top of the motor.) Does anyone know if there is a write-up on how to replace it. I have also noticed that my heat sucks lately...could that be related to the water pump as well? My car has about 49,000 miles on it.

Old 02-11-2008, 08:36 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: Auxiliary Water Pump

My car just hit 49,000 and I couldn't get heat either unless truly revving, and of course the water dripping from my engine bay, but it turns out it was my water pump.... replaced it and everything was great. Although I just learned that I made a mistake when I got mine replaced... the dealer puts in a pump with plastic components that will inevitably break again, but for about 30 bucks more you can get one with metal components that should have some lasting power... just something to look out for.

Old 02-11-2008, 08:43 PM
Site Moderator

ORIGINAL: M¥§T

OK, first off let me say that I did search, but couldn't find anything. I'm pretty sure that it is my auxiliary water pump from what I've read (the leak is coming from the back-top of the motor.) Does anyone know if there is a write-up on how to replace it. I have also noticed that my heat sucks lately...could that be related to the water pump as well? My car has about 49,000 miles on it.
There is no AUX. water pump on the 1.8T engine, only the 2.7T V6. If you're experiencing heating issues and loosing coolant the two major known issues are a leak at the coolant flange at the back of the cylinder head, or a leaky O ring under the intake manifold.
There is a TSB out for repairing the O ring under the intake manifold, look under there with a flash light and see if there is dried up coolant, it will only leak when the engine is cold.

Old 02-11-2008, 08:46 PM
1st Gear

Yea, I was thinking that at first, but I'm positive the leak is coming from the back of the motor. If I feel the back side of the motor, right around where the valve cover is, it is soaked with coolant. Within the past week it has gotten really bad, to the point where I am putting coolant in everyday.

Old 02-11-2008, 08:53 PM
Site Moderator

Its either the O-ring for the ECT sensor, or the O-ring for the coolant flange thats connected to the cylinder head then. I would replace them both just in case, the coolant flange is a pretty tough job for people with large hands.

Old 02-11-2008, 08:55 PM
1st Gear

auditech79,

That sounds exactly like my problem. I have noticed that it tends to leak when the car has been sitting for a long time. One more question, will Audi fix the O-ring if the car is no longer under warranty since there was a TSB issued about it?

Old 02-11-2008, 09:01 PM
Site Moderator

Only recalls will be fixed for free, not TSB's. The coolant flange doesn't have a TSB, but it happens a lot, even more on the 2.0T.
The coolant flange is a pretty cheap part (about $40) but putting it in will cost around 4.0 hours of labor.

Old 02-11-2008, 09:11 PM
1st Gear

OK cool! Is it very hard to do yourself? I'm very mechanically inclined, but this is my first Audi so some things are foreign to me (no pun intended[8D].)

BTW..sorry for the slow replies, I'm at work and the internet connection is horrible right now. I raced my computer against my phone, and my phone loaded AudiForums faster than the computer.

Old 02-11-2008, 09:15 PM
Site Moderator

Its not really hard to do the coolant flange, you just have to do a lot of them to get the hang of, cause you can't see the bolts, you have to feel around for them. Its also easy to pinch the O-ring upon installation, so i recommend using O-ring assembly lube or vasoline on the O ring.
I would say it would take you most of the day to do if its your first time.

Old 02-11-2008, 09:19 PM
1st Gear

OK, Then I will try to do it myself the first free day I get (hopefully soon). Thanks Auditech, I really appreciate all the info! I will let you know how it goes as soon as I finish it.