B6 Models Please discuss all 2002 - 2005 B6 A4 topics here...

Clicking Noise - Engine Bay

Old 06-06-2010, 06:26 PM
Default Clicking Noise - Engine Bay

This is related to a post I made a few days ago in that I have been looking at purchasing a 2002 A4 1.8t Quattro...

I went to go evaluate the vehicle at the dealership, and took it on a test drive. Everything seemed to work fine, and, actually, very well for a 70000 mile car. All of the features were in working condition, and I checked for leaking coolant, which there was none. The timing belt had not been changed yet, but I plan to complete that maintenance if I purchase the vehicle. I turned the car off as we pulled up, but after starting it again a short time later, with the hood open, there was an intense clicking noise coming from the engine bay which did not occur before.

Obviously, this worried me. I have arranged an inspection at a nearby Audi dealership, which will make me aware of other additional issues, so I guess I will know what needs to be done to the vehicle in due time.

However, I was wondering if any of you could guess as to why the engine made this clicking noise, and what it would mean as far as quality and future maintenance.

Regards,

Chris

Old 06-07-2010, 11:12 AM
2nd Gear

Yeah let us know about that. These engines do have a tapping noise that can be loud, but my mech said it was just injector noise.

Old 06-07-2010, 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by shane.trammell
Yeah let us know about that. These engines do have a tapping noise that can be loud, but my mech said it was just injector noise.
I'll surely post what the dealership reports. The A4 went in first thing, this morning. It might take them a day or two to finish the evaluation, because they had a long list of cars and work to do, but I'll update this thread very soon.

Again, hopefully everything checks out and I'll be the proud new owner of my first Audi.

Regards,

Chris

Old 06-07-2010, 06:12 PM
1st Gear

The engine in my wife's A6 made some clicking noises shortly before the serpentine belt tensioner grenaded. I know it's a different engine, but it wouldn't hurt to check it. Good luck.

Old 06-08-2010, 10:09 AM

I got a call from the dealership that is inspecting the vehicle this morning, and they attributed the clicking noise to the camshaft tensioner. The dealership that owns the A4, is footing the bill prior to attempting to sell it to me again, which I find appropriate and respectful. However, the repairs cost $600.00 apparently, to replace the camshaft tensioner. The vehicle still needs to undergo an entire inspection, and I know the timing belt is next, especially with 70,000 miles.

Though, this dealership says they will do a timing belt replacement on A4's for $550, labor and parts included. After browsing the forums, it seems like many have paid almost double or triple this amount, so I tend to think it's either a really good deal, or, they are using sub-par parts. Any opinions on this? Also, how appropriate is the cost on the camshaft tensioner?

Regards,

Chris