B6 Models Please discuss all 2002 - 2005 B6 A4 topics here...

Crankshaft Position Sensor/Starting Problem Question (03 A4 1.8t)

Old 02-17-2009, 09:06 PM
1st Gear
Default Crankshaft Position Sensor/Starting Problem Question (03 A4 1.8t)

edit: did some searching and found this: https://www.audiforums.com/forum/sho...+sensor&page=2 which seems to be what I'm looking for. I'm going to try this and report back but any other input is appreciated.

GF has an 03' 1.8t A4 with ~49k on it. Lately when she's starting the car it will sometimes begin normally (starter turns engine over, engine "revs" when the starter cuts out) but then will immediately die after the "rev" and then take anywhere from 2 to 8 times of waiting and re-attempting to start. I initially thought it was a power system problem (alternator and/or bad connections) since when I would turn off all accessories it would start with virtually no issues for me. However she brought it into the dealer to look at (I should add she also found out the extended warranty that was purchased with the car when they bought it used just expired due to it being 4 years from original purchase date) and was just told the "crank position sensor" needs to be replaced. They quoted $500 for parts/labor to do this. Questions for the gurus here:
1) Does this make sense? Logically I can see this causing the car to have issues starting but the car hasn't shown any problems with idle or any accel/decel. Also, no CEL's have come up at anytime.
2) Does the price sound right? It's already at the dealer and it's kind of a hassle for her to get it and take it somewhere else so unless she's looking at saving a considerable amount of green, it's prob not worth it.
3) Is this something I could do if I were to get the part? I know my way around Subaru engines and limited knowledge of Audis but haven't replaced one of these before...
4) Anyone know the part number of the crank position sensor?

Any help is much appreciated!!!

Thanks!

Last edited by chrisWRX; 02-17-2009 at 09:19 PM.
Old 02-21-2009, 02:08 AM
1st Gear

Yes, the crank shaft position sensor intermittent failure will cause some symptom like that. It also may cause car stalling while driving.
I am not sure your car has crank shaft sensor problem. Other engine / computer problem can cause engine stall, long cranking, cranks but won't start and the computer will set the crank shaft sensor code.
Ask the dealer again about the fix. Do they do something else beside the sensor.
$500 to replace just crank shaft sensor is too much. In my area, it costs around $300 (part and labor) labor rate $180/hr. Labor time 1.2 hr Sensor $71

Old 02-21-2009, 09:17 PM

Yes, engine speed sensor will cause startup issues. Get the part and DIY. Here ya go.

http://www.a4mods.com/index.php?page...tml&category=5

Old 09-15-2012, 02:32 PM
1st Gear
Default Unable to Unplug the Sensor

Hi! I'm trying to do this repair myself following the above DIY guide. It'd be really easy if I could unplug the stuck speed sensor. This is my first repair so forgive me if this is a dumb question, but is there a trick unplugging the sensor? Mine seems really stuck in there...is there a tab I need to push to get it to release?