Doors freezing shut - AudiForums.com
AudiForums.com

Go Back   AudiForums.com > Audi Models > Audi A4 > B6 Models
Search

B6 Models Please discuss all 2002 - 2005 B6 A4 topics here...

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-10-2008, 08:55 PM
1st Gear

Default Doors freezing shut

Ok.so it's cold as hell in Pittsburgh,PA and my doors keep freezing shut. I keep getting ice build up in the door jam between the scuff plate and the slot on the door. It happens on all 4 doors, making it a bear to get them open. Is this a problem anyone else is having? I haven't washed my car or anything. Not sure how the hell all this water is getting in there to freeze.
Old 02-10-2008, 09:19 PM
1st Gear

Default RE: Doors freezing shut

I get this all the time, it's really annoying. Sometimes they freeze so hard I'm worried about breaking a door handle trying to get them open.
I've hard that some silicone spray on the door gasket helps, haven't tried it though.

Old 02-10-2008, 09:45 PM
2nd Gear

yepp i live in new york and its like 0 degrees out right now without windchill so yeah i have the same problem, more so with this car than any other car i might add?

Old 02-11-2008, 08:08 PM
1st Gear

Burgh too and my doors were a PITA to open. Watch out too, tomorrow its getting worst[&:]
Old 02-11-2008, 08:10 PM
1st Gear

Ok.Pson, where do you get your car serviced in the burgh?
Old 02-11-2008, 09:27 PM
1st Gear

Myself Now if its bad I will take the drive to Next level tuning (Love those guys and JV great) or there is a place called rices auto near bridgeville thats great too (Thats where I am). Where do you go?
Old 02-12-2008, 06:48 AM
1st Gear

Thanks man. I've been getting dealer work done but warranty just ran out. I may check out one of those places. i guess they know Audi cars pretty well???
Old 02-12-2008, 05:50 PM
1st Gear

Quote:
ORIGINAL: rradovitch

Thanks man. I've been getting dealer work done but warranty just ran out. I may check out one of those places. i guess they know Audi cars pretty well???
Which one? what part of the bugrh are you? Then I can point you in the right way
Old 02-12-2008, 05:52 PM
1st Gear

I'm in Shadyside but I work in Canonsburg. I'm also in the Cheswick/Fox Chapel region quite often.
Old 02-12-2008, 05:58 PM
1st Gear

Quote:

I'm in Shadyside but I work in Canonsburg. I'm also in the Cheswick/Fox Chapel region quite often.
Ok your really close to me Rices auto is a great place...its off of the bridgeville exit like 5 miles. There is also a place on rotue 8 thats good too. If you give me a bit I could get numbers for you, both are far better then any dealer here. Most is cake work so if you need help and have a free weekend....I do them all the time. Last weekend I changed my axles out and this weekend I am helping another replace his Motor mounts and tranny mounts...but thats on a B5.
Old 02-12-2008, 06:12 PM
1st Gear

Sounds great! I have a good bit of routine maintenance coming up and have done very little as far as working on cars goes and I also don't have a garage. I don't want to pay dealer prices so i wanted to find a local shop that was familiar with Audis . Also, I'd really like to learn how to do some of this stuff myself. I guess I can check out Rice's if that's what you recommend. I'll take any numbers you can give. Thanks!

What do you drive?
Old 02-12-2008, 09:00 PM
1st Gear

Quote:

Sounds great! I have a good bit of routine maintenance coming up and have done very little as far as working on cars goes and I also don't have a garage. I don't want to pay dealer prices so i wanted to find a local shop that was familiar with Audis . Also, I'd really like to learn how to do some of this stuff myself. I guess I can check out Rice's if that's what you recommend. I'll take any numbers you can give. Thanks!

What do you drive?
Whats routine? Plugs, air filter, fuel filter, check fluids? Heck that I could show you and you would save a few bucks. R U at the 40,000 or 60,000 mark now? Rices is also a good shop and have their number at work (they don't have a web site). Also Rice handles many Audi, VW and BMW in the area. What I drive....I am very worried to post it...but I have a Passat. They are all the same and working on each is the same as well. I am paid off in May and want an A4 bad...just always loved them growing up.

If its the stuff above work wise, they are not hard at all. I will grab the number tomorrow and post it, but if you want to learn something...There is always Sat (not this one coming up I am already helping in a GTG).
Old 02-13-2008, 06:08 PM
1st Gear

Here you go (724) 941-6110

Old 02-14-2008, 06:15 PM
1st Gear

that **** happens to me all the time. Columbus gets pretty frosty and yes my god damn doors get stuck all the time. Even the windows get stuck which is pretty annoying. Ya I worry about breaking a handle also. So annoying!
Samco hose kit/TBB
AWE Twin 1
S-Flo intake
Old 02-14-2008, 06:47 PM
1st Gear

I was thinking about this...did you ever armor all the door gasket and grease the door locks?
Old 02-14-2008, 07:45 PM
1st Gear

No I haven't but I may tray that. It seems like a design/drainage flaw as that entire area gets really wet and then freezes. I don't have any trouble with the locks, only the door jam/scuff plate area getting frozen to the bottom of the door molding and the bottom side of the slot storage area on the door.
Old 02-14-2008, 08:14 PM
1st Gear

Quote:

No I haven't but I may tray that. It seems like a design/drainage flaw as that entire area gets really wet and then freezes. I don't have any trouble with the locks, only the door jam/scuff plate area getting frozen to the bottom of the door molding and the bottom side of the slot storage area on the door.
That means its working and no leaking on the TCU (if you have an auto) I can't say 100% but you should have nipples in the door way...that you should either cut open or pinch them every now and then.
Old 02-14-2008, 08:33 PM
1st Gear

Yup, mine freezes in the exact same spot. There are two door seals, it looks like some water gets between the inner and outer seals, flows to the bottom of the door and freezes like a soab.
I was wondering if there's supposed to be a drainage channel like Pson is saying, does anybody know?

Old 02-14-2008, 08:59 PM
1st Gear

Take a look...it will be in between the two door mounts...right under the top one. It will look like its off...like a 45 degree angle. I know they are on VW...just not audi...but I don't see why not

Quote:
ORIGINAL: tsd02

Yup, mine freezes in the exact same spot. There are two door seals, it looks like some water gets between the inner and outer seals, flows to the bottom of the door and freezes like a soab.
I was wondering if there's supposed to be a drainage channel like Pson is saying, does anybody know?

Old 12-09-2008, 10:39 PM
1st Gear

crap.... this just happened to mine too!! i also dont get where this water comes from to freeze up the door from opening. in the summer time, i did notice that there were water on the scuff plate area after washing the car even after a few days ago and thought nothing of it. but now i had to tug very hard on the door handle to open it, i was ssooo afraid i was gonna break it off. that or tear off the seals at the bottom of the door!

any quick fix solution for this?

Tags
2002, a4, audi, b6, car, door, doors, freeze, freezes, freezing, frozen, gasket, open, seal, shut