B6 Models Please discuss all 2002 - 2005 B6 A4 topics here...

Electrical problem?!

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2016, 01:10 PM
1st Gear
Default Electrical problem?!

Hi, today I pulled in after driving 10 miles, switched off to get my orders before her ladyship got out and when I started up again the panel on the radio wasn't showing the channel I have on so I press 'TP' and radio starts rolling thru stations over an over, won't stop and no matter what I do it won't return to normal. In the end it's doin my nut in so I think ' take out the fuse' which I do. It seems to solve then problem short term so I carry on my way. A few mins later it's getting warm so I go to open my window but now neither of the front windows will open. Well, I thinks I can live with that short term but then when I get to where I'm going I get out and lock the doors but the lights don't flash when I press the remote and it don't make that nice satisfying 'Kerlunnk' noise so, I check the doors and only the fronts lock. The rear doors are still unlocked and can be opened. OK unless like I was you're parked in Handswoth, like I was. It's still the same now but I put the fuse back in and the radio can be tuned OK but the doors, bock ones anyhow are unlocked. Also, the CD changer, never used and which is only single play, is making noise like its selecting a track but there's no disc in there to select from. So, there's my problem, I'm shocked really too that, the rear doors cannot be locked manually, they can only be locked off the fob or thru the door switch which isn't working either. Can anyone suggest anything please

Old 10-20-2016, 03:15 PM
2nd Gear

I got 2 ideas here:

A. Your Central convenience module got wet (or is going bad) and is causing issues now. Have you had any rain or excessive moisture recently? Check the module underneath the driver's side carpet/seat.
B. Wiring has been known to fail in these cars because of where they are located. Open the door panel (again driver's side) and check the wiring from and to the convenience module. Some people have noticed bad cables causing these issues and once replaced all was well again.

Old 10-20-2016, 05:13 PM
1st Gear

Yes, we had coffee from McDs on the way and my 'dearest' spilled some on her side. Could that have done it. Would it simply dry out or will it need work doing on it

Old 10-20-2016, 05:15 PM
1st Gear

Also mine was in the cup holder on the dash and some spilt down the side of the cup and into the radio area so to speak... Thanks very much by the way!

Old 10-21-2016, 10:23 AM
2nd Gear

just a spilled drink should not do it - the carpet will soak up a lot of moisture before it gets to the module. Not saying impossible but unlikely.
So let's say for a moment that something did get into the module and is causing these issues - drying it up will usually not restore functionality. Unfortunately once the module gets wet the connections will corrode and cause a short. You are still back to checking the wiring and the module itself. Both are not that hard to reach if you want to give it a try. I'm sure there is a video of that job somewhere that will assist you taking stuff apart.

Old 10-21-2016, 05:40 PM
1st Gear

She recons that the liquid got into the radio/CD player, do you
Think that would cause it...Anyhow I have a week off work next week so I am gonna have a go myself, I will look for the video, and see what I can find.

Old 10-21-2016, 09:46 PM
2nd Gear

Well at the least that would explain your radio problems as they should be unrelated to the other issues. The convenience module controls stuff like: interior / foot-well lights, electrical mirrors, electrical locks, windows.
Sounds like you might have to replace that head unit as well. Luckily they can be pretty cheap if you source a direct replacement - or use the opportunity and replace it with an aftermarket unit

Old 10-23-2016, 05:37 PM
1st Gear

Mirrors are fine, still working. Also the only interior light that isn't working is the one that comes on when you open the door or remove Ign key. I'm not mak
Ign much progress here. I removed the front seat and can see the module but am not sure what it is Im looking for now

Old 10-23-2016, 09:53 PM
2nd Gear

Primarily you are looking for moisture and corrosion. If the box appears fine/dry - you can open it up and make sure that the inside is also in good shape. If that checks out, it's time to check the wiring going to the drivers door. Somewhere between the module and the door connector wires get messed up from being pinched in and moving constantly (from opening/closing the door).

Old 10-24-2016, 09:57 AM
1st Gear

Thanks, that helps.