Engine noise when starting. Help!! - AudiForums.com
AudiForums.com

Go Back   AudiForums.com > Audi Models > Audi A4 > B6 Models
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

B6 Models Please discuss all 2002 - 2005 B6 A4 topics here...

submit to reddit

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-07-2011, 04:24 PM
1st Gear

Default Engine noise when starting. Help!!

i have an A4 2002 with 2.0L petrol engine (ALT) , when i start the car in the morning i hear a chain noise for like one second and it goes away, i have replaced the cylinder head chain with the adjuster but the noise is still coming. Any idea??
Old 03-09-2011, 01:16 AM
1st Gear

My Jetta and Audi do this, NO IDEA what it is but the jetta has been doing it for about 70k miles now and the audi has been doing it since I bought it, I don't think it is doing anything bad, I know its irratating but I don't think there is anything wrong with the cars.
Old 03-09-2011, 01:17 AM
1st Gear

Default start up noise

My Jetta and Audi do this, NO IDEA what it is but the jetta has been doing it for about 70k miles now and the audi has been doing it since I bought it, I don't think it is doing anything bad, I know its irratating but I don't think there is anything wrong with the cars.
Old 03-09-2011, 01:52 AM
1st Gear

Old 03-09-2011, 12:37 PM
1st Gear

yea i know it's not a big deal but need to check :s
Old 03-17-2011, 11:27 PM
1st Gear

Default I have that same metallic "clanging"

I live up in New England and found it only to happen after a deep cold night. Freezing and below....

Last edited by StopEject!; 03-19-2011 at 12:32 AM.
Old 03-18-2011, 12:15 PM
1st Gear

Every cardoes this, as there is no oil on top of the motor after sitting for awhile. It does it even for a few seconds more right after an oil change because you've just drained all oil out and it needs to circulate through the filter also. No big deal! This is what it soumds like your talking about anyway.
Old 03-31-2011, 03:27 PM
1st Gear

i have been told that you need to check on the bucket tappets, you may need to replace them. i know at some point the car doesthis even at cold weather or till the oil reaches up when i start the car.
Old 04-01-2011, 08:10 AM
Administrator

Send a message via Yahoo to ImTheDevil

Cpagelll is correct. Also, the cam chain tensioner in the head (which drives the intake cam off the exhaust cam) tensions with oil pressure, so until pressure builds up, the chain will rattle. It's common and normal in these cars.
Old 04-05-2011, 06:08 PM
1st Gear

idk if its the same issue, but when i started mine it would sound like a jet airplane.. it turned out to be that my hose was broken underneath from the secondary air pump, once that was fixed, no more sound.
Old 04-09-2011, 02:12 PM
1st Gear

actually i will remove the cylinder head cover look into the cam shaft tappets, i may remove them and replace them if i didn't find anything and see the changes after.
Old 02-14-2013, 07:02 AM
1st Gear

Default Knocking Sound upon startup

I have an AUDI A4, ALT, 2002 model. My engine was redone at 265000km and all major parts changed. Upon start up, it refused to hold idle, then mechanic discovered excess petrol being pump.
Upon twigging it started, then a nasty knocking sound came through as if something was dry. He continued checking until he concluded that there is not much oil pressure and I need to replace the oil pump which is damn expensive. I sought further advise which people told me that it might be a clocked in take pipe(It could be the strainer on the pickup pipe is blocked). A key question was also asked if the mechanic ever did the pressure tests to establish the lack of it thereof. Please advise.
Old 02-14-2013, 11:05 AM
1st Gear

Hello hubab ak!
Saw your post and decided register to be able to post. Maybe I can help. I have too 2001 A4 with ALT 2.0 96kw engine. When started cold engine, there was rattle noise 1-2 sec. After that no rattle. Only once at cold start. I think your problem is same as mine was. Listen backside of valve cover. Now to check that, let somebody start cold engine. If noise comes from the backside of the engine, under valve cover at drivers side, then that's it. Then you need adjuster, what is connected to intake cam. Adjuster code is 06B 109 088 D. If so, then it's expensive work. I know exactly how to do that, but I let dealers do that change(6 hours). I had that rattle 8 months, until decided change that part. If rattle is there anytime when you start engine, then it's even worse. Then you need adjuster valve too. Now bad part. As I said its expensive work. Adjuster change with work at dealers 570 euro(adjuster costs 430 euro). After that no more rattle(5 months). Excuse my english, and hope this helps! If you need adjuster valve code then I have it too(hope not, because this costs 290 euro).
All the best!
Old 02-14-2013, 11:05 AM

submit to reddit

Tags
a4, airplane, alt, audi, b6, car, chain, engine, interior, jetta, metallic, rattles, sound, start, starting, suspension