B6 Models Please discuss all 2002 - 2005 B6 A4 topics here...

EPC Light and stalling

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2016, 09:13 AM
1st Gear
Default Similar problem happened to me

About a month ago, I turned on the car to warm up, got ready for work and came back out 20 minutes later the car was off? I thought maybe it was me, but then the engine wouldn't turn on. The check engine light was on for a little while so I thought it was from whatever that was. I had it towed to the mechanic. Several codes came up in the diagnosis. The reason for the car not starting was not the reason for the check engine light. The light was for the oil separator and sensor, and the reason for the car not starting was the fuel pump (the electrical one IN the tank). I had him replace all 3 parts and the car seemed fine...for a week. Then on my way home from work I got 2 miles and it started losing power, then stalled out. It started again only to go 15 feet and turn off. Then it wouldn't turn back on. I had it towed to the same mechanic, and he was baffled. He drove it for 45 minutes with no problem, and not one code came up. His best guess was that the wires to the fuel pump may have overheated before I replaced it, and lost connection. He crimped them back together, didn't charge me anything and I took the car back and it was perfectly fine again, for about two weeks. Yesterday, I turned on the car, warmed up for a few minutes, put it in reverse and instantly shut off. Tried a second time, same thing. Third time.. car wouldn't turn on. A few hours later my father in law came to look at it and it turned right on. What is going on? I am reading all of your responses because this is hard to diagnose.

Old 07-08-2016, 03:30 PM
1st Gear

Did any of these fixes work long term? I'm having the same problem. I filled up with gas, and then it started. Been happening since. We have put new plugs and fuel filter on, only to have it leave my son-in-law setting at work to be towed home. Thanks in advance.

Old 07-13-2016, 04:07 PM
1st Gear

I ended up replacing the fuel pump module. It has been fine since. It was hard to diagnose, because if it was looked at the wrong way it would turn on or off.

Old 07-14-2016, 11:49 PM
1st Gear

Thanks for the reply. We replaced the ecm. If you bumped or wiggled it, the car died. New one is in and so far so good but still early.

Old 03-03-2017, 07:10 AM
1st Gear
Default new to the forum :)

thanks for the tread chaps.
will be trying this when i get the part

Old 03-03-2017, 09:53 AM
1st Gear

Great job guys! I was looking at this deal https://dsrleasing.com/car-listings/...-lease-409-mo/ what do you guys think?

Old 03-05-2017, 09:28 PM
1st Gear
Default Fixed the issue and then hit a d*mn deer :(

We had a coil pack go bad. Fixed that, still issues.
My son in law got a new ECM - one without a tune - and put it in and no problems following!
Yes, I missed the extra power from no tune.
Is it possible that the tune was crap, causing burned out spark plugs, etc?
No matter. FFWD to the end of January and a d*mn deer ran out in front of me and totaled the car
i love it so much and it was driving so great, that I bought it back to salvage.
Now waiting to get a chance to look for parts (driver's side fender and hood are a must) and the easy parts - fix the radiator, power steering fluid tank, and other stuff...
It makes me sick to see her sitting in the driveway

Old 03-06-2017, 07:46 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by ian69
Great job guys! I was looking at this deal https://dsrleasing.com/car-listings/...-lease-409-mo/ what do you guys think?
Hi! According to me, https://dsrleasing.com/car-listings/...-lease-409-mo/ such a great deal and the car is looking awesome.

Old 03-28-2017, 08:30 AM
1st Gear
Default Audi A4 1.8 TFSI 2008

Having the same problem, but I have now heard 2 different fixes. A lot of you are saying the speed sensor, however I have also heard the Throttle Body sensor could be the reason.

Old 03-29-2017, 07:44 AM
1st Gear

Hello rees397! Thanks for the information but I want to know that how the throttle body sensor works?

Quick Reply: EPC Light and stalling