B6 Models Please discuss all 2002 - 2005 B6 A4 topics here...

EPC and Traction Control light (LIMP MODE)

Old 05-12-2012, 07:28 AM
1st Gear
Default EPC and Traction Control light (LIMP MODE)

about two weeks ago, my cars EPC and traction control, light with triangle !) came on and it went into limp mode. I took it to the dealer the day after and they scanned and suggested that the throttle body wasnt linking up with the ecu and it needed to be replaced along with the intake temp sensor because it was reading 2 degrees off. I got the parts, replaced them. STILL HAPPENED. Took it back and they said they needed to clear the codes. Did that, pulled out out of the parking lot and it happened again! Turned around and they re-diagnosed it and came to the conclusion that the ECU was taking a ****. This only happens when its hot outside, above 80 or so. In the mornings I have had zero problems. I've read forums and I think it may be the crank sensor but I dont want to throw parts at it with trial and error, but it seems that is what audi has me doing anyhow... The car has 124,000 miles on it and its a 2003 A4 Quattro with a 1.8T. Please HELP!!!!!!!!!!

Old 05-14-2012, 12:37 PM
4th Gear

do u have a flashing cell or no?

Old 05-15-2012, 10:37 AM
1st Gear

Not sure what you mean by flashing cell, but when my EPC and trac light come on, they stay on until I shut off the car. When I shut it off and restart it, it is cleared until i give it gas. This only happens when it is warm outside. Morning time it works great.

Old 05-15-2012, 01:29 PM
4th Gear

hmmm. Im curious if u installed the throttle body on your own or did the dealer do it? Did u adapt the throttle body to the car. Also make sure your connection on the tb is secure. If the plug on the bottom of the tb is lose is will throw those lights. Or it could be carbon build up. Or like the dealer said your ecu is taking a crap on you.

Old 05-15-2012, 09:16 PM
Tech Certified

You need to provide some of the fault codes that are present when this is happening.

Without out them your guess is as good as ours, since there is a few reasons to cause this

Old 05-17-2012, 11:33 AM
1st Gear

I installed the TB and a new intake temp sensor and then took it to audi to adapt it. They said they couldn't even adapt the old TB but they could adapt the new one, but the problem still exists. That's why they're thinking the ECU. The fault codes that were read out found numerous fault codes for engine throttle body actuator.

I do have an update on the situation though. When I first start the car and apply throttle, I do hear a relay in my dash clicking back and forth a few times. This happens about the first 3 or 4 times I apply throttle then goes away. The car doesn't always go into limp mode right away when the relay's click but sometimes it does, depending on the temperature outside. It used to limp out at around 80 degrees now it starting to go at around 75 degrees. I also changed the oil in the car about 200-300 miles before this first started and found that the Crank Pos Sensor is directly behind the oil filter. I'm wondering if maybe I'm getting oil intrusion in the connector??? Who knows?

I've sort-of narrowed it down to these thing: ECU taking a ****, Throttle pedal contact (drive by wire bad), bad relay, or the Crank Pos Sensor. Any other ideas out there? I'd hate to start throwing parts at it without know exactly what it is and Audi is clueless also.

Old 05-25-2012, 08:26 AM
1st Gear

Hey dustin.hinton, did you figure out the problem? Because I am having a similar problems with you.

I have 06 A3 1.6, in Moscow, Russia. But in my situation, when these two lights(Epc and tracktion) turn on, no matter how much I push the throttle, the car accelerates very slow(like a heavy truck accelerates). I brought my car to an Audi dealer in moscow, they found nothing. They told me I have to bring the car right after this problems happens. But when it happened it was always 2 hours away with the traffic, so I didn't risk to drive 2 hours with the problem.

I thought hot weather might cause it, but no! it was 9 Celsius degree(cold) this morning, I had the problem in a minute after I started driving. I turned off the engine and I couldn't start it back. I tried few times to start, it didn't work so I waited about 2 minutes. After, it worked. I drove the car to nearest metro to go to work. When I came to pick up the car, it was alright on my way going back home.

I have been told maybe gas pump, using low quality gas, or some censors that I don't really know how to say in english. Maybe in english "brake switch or brake switch sensor" or "engine speed sensor"

Today, it is the first month of this car. So still new to me If you know help me please

Old 05-29-2012, 03:57 PM
1st Gear

UPDATE***
I just picked up the car from the dealership today and so far, so good! They told me that I had water intrusion in the ecu. 3 of the pins were badly corroded and discolored greenish. So they replaced it. I'm hoping this will eliminate the problem but I'm still concerned that the wire harness may have damage as well. They said its good to go so only time will tell.

Old 05-30-2012, 10:32 AM
1st Gear

Thanks for the update

Since I wrote it I am not having problems with the car. I am thinking mine could be the low quality gas. I hope it was the reason.

Good luck for you and I hope your car doesn't make any problems again.

Old 02-27-2017, 11:58 AM
1st Gear

I have a 2007 A4 3.2 and have been having this same issue for a good year now. I had the gas pedal and wiring hardness to the throttle body changed and has been great since Sep 2016 and the problem is now back again in Feb 2017. I have the car at the dealership now and they told me next steps would be to replace the full engine wiring hardness which I think is ridiculous and wont do it, told them to investigate deeper and come back with a common sense next step as paying $4k for new wires is not going to happen. This is Audi they should put some effort into actually investigating the issue and not just changing parts because that I can just do at home.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: EPC and Traction Control light (LIMP MODE)