B6 Models Please discuss all 2002 - 2005 B6 A4 topics here...

Headlight Bulb Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2008, 04:27 PM
1st Gear
Red face Headlight Bulb Replacement

Hi All,

I have recently been having my the bulbs in both headlights going out every few months, I think it might be due to my mechanic using "cheap" replacements.

I was researching and the replacement bulb that I'm supposed to get is a Halogen Bulb 12v 55W H7. It was easy enough to find that replacement on some websites, but I also saw some other options in terms of getting "better" bulbs ... the only thing is I'm not sure if it will work with my headlights right now?

Has anyone else had the same H7 55W bulb and used a better bulb?

I have a 2003 A4Q 1.8T ... any help would be great!

Old 12-28-2008, 02:21 PM

go to any local store and buy phillips bulbs as far as all my previous cars they were the best bulbs and havent failed me yet . any h7 will work with ur housings , when u install do not touch the bulb itself with ur fingers, the oil from your skin will create a hot spot and burn out the bulb A LOT quicker if not right of way so try not to touch it or wear latex gloves.

Old 12-29-2008, 09:37 PM

Is there a guide for replacing the headlights? I've been told by my service dealer that the installation requires removing the entire headlight housing. Is this tough? What tools are required? Finally, Phillips over Sylvania SilverStars?

Old 12-30-2008, 01:33 PM

yea the easiest way is to remove the assembly , there are three bolts that hold it i do not remember which tools you need a rachet, extension smaller metric sockets and im not sure but you might need a couple of torx sockets. as for a light its really your choice use w/e u like more

Old 12-30-2008, 10:11 PM

Go to a local auto store and pick a Sylvania bulb. When shopping, keep in mind (I've read) the more light output on a bulb the quicker they die.

I have standard halogens and bought the Sylvania Silverstars. They are brighter and a nice white. Mine lasted 2 years and I just replaced them a few weeks back. They were $30 for 2 but I like the look. They now have Silverstar Ultras for $10 more but I passed on it. Check out the Sylvania site.

As for replacing the bulbs, yes you have to pull out the entire housing. Don't be intimidated, it's easy. You'll need a Torx to do it but I forget the size (maybe 25 or 27?). There are four bolts but you ONLY REMOVE THE TOP 2. The remaining 2 are on teh bottom behind the light and you should find them with a bit of looking. You just loosen them up a few turns and the housing will slip out. It may be tought the first time but trust me, those are the only four bolts you need to touch. The last part of it is disconnecting the electric connection, which is self explanatory.

The bulb swap itself is quite easy.

Good luck and have fun with it!

Old 12-31-2008, 11:30 AM
4th Gear

Really u dont have to remove the housing. If u got small fingers u can unclip the cover on the back of the headlight housing. Just look with a flashlight and u should be able to see what im talking about. Once u unclip the cover the bulb housing and the bulb will be inside. U have to also unclip the little sliver metal bulb holder before unpluging the wire. To unplug the wire just give a nice tug and replace and reverse order. here sum pics to show u more or less. Also the silverstar H7 bulbs have a real nice output and when u put them in your highbeams they light up the street for a long way. I drive on country roads for work and they are by far the best in highbeams. Goodluck
http://www.a4mods.com/index.php?page...tml&category=3

Old 01-18-2009, 07:17 PM
2nd Gear

OK let's set the record straight here. I just changed my bulbs and YES you do have to remove the entire unit to properly replace the bulbs. The left side of the car (opposite the intake) is easier because there is more space but still, it is necessary. I've painstakingly done it on the left side without removing the unit and it was a royal pain in the *** so, if you want to cut yourself, swear and get all pissed off by all means don't bother removing the headlight units but if you want a smooth, seamless process then remove the headlight units and do it properly.

Pablo

Old 01-18-2009, 07:26 PM
4th Gear

well i changed mine and didnt have to remove the housing. the left side u can just remove the airduct and there is more room then the intercooler side. but hey if u cant do it than i guess u just cant do it.

Old 01-18-2009, 09:46 PM
2nd Gear

You're right. I can't do it... I swear wayyy too much

Old 01-19-2009, 12:11 PM
4th Gear

lol yea its all good man. i get in those moments when i just have to go break something. But i got real small hands too so maybe thats why. And i got a nice gash on my finger from changing the bulb the first time i did. But i will be installing hid soon soo more pics to come soon.

Quick Reply: Headlight Bulb Replacement