B6 Models Please discuss all 2002 - 2005 B6 A4 topics here...

HELP, Car won't Start/ crank!

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2013, 12:48 PM
1st Gear
Exclamation HELP, Car won't Start/ crank!

I have a 2003 A4 Avant 3.0L Quattro, automatic.

Now here's my issue, my car wont start, won't crank at all.

At first I thought it was a battery issue, but my security system still worked, the doors still unlocked/locked by remote, and all the dome lights dashlights when ya open the doors turned on and are as bright as normal. But either way I thought maybe it just didnt have enough juice to crank over. So I charged up the battery and still no luck.

So here's what I noticed after I put the battery back in.
It seems like the key isnt turning far enough to the start position. The steering wheel is not turned or locked while im trying to start it.

I also noticed that I can not put the car in neutral or any other gear, that its kinda locked in park? I cant imagine the car has to be running for me to be able to move it into neutral right. Im not being dumb, I am pressing the brake but it still wont shift.

Is it possible that somehow when i parked my car it didnt engage into "park" and is still in a gear which is making it not start?
Maybe it's the starter? But that wouldn't explain why it wont move to neutral.

No weird noises or warning lights before this happened either, just went to start it one day after driving for a few hours in traffic and this is what i get.

Anybody got any suggestions?

Old 06-22-2013, 04:06 PM
1st Gear

Now here's something weird, tried the car again a few days ago randomly before I went to work and it started up with no issues, no check engine lights, no problems. Drove it to work, drove it for awhile after work and its all good. Same with the following 2 days.
Until it hit yesterday afternoon. Still started up fine but the check engine light was on now. And its being a pain in the *** pulling it out of park and into drive, as well as drive to reverse(yes I have my foot on the brake all the way)
The only thing that has changed was that on wednesday,thursday, and yesterday morning it was rainy and cool out. And this has started acting this way since the sun has begun to shine and it warm out. Maybe some sort of sensor?

Old 05-26-2016, 12:26 PM
1st Gear
Default Audi Q7 wont crank/start

Had an Audi Q7 2008 3.6L come in with a similar problem. Inbox me for details on how to fix it. Had 100% success. All this done in Zimbabwe of all places.....

Originally Posted by cruukedeye

At first I thought it was a battery issue, but my security system still worked, the doors still unlocked/locked by remote, and all the dome lights dashlights when ya open the doors turned on and are as bright as normal. But either way I thought maybe it just didnt have enough juice to crank over. So I charged up the battery and still no luck.

It seems like the key isnt turning far enough to the start position. The steering wheel is not turned or locked while im trying to start it.

I also noticed that I can not put the car in neutral or any other gear, that its kinda locked in park? I cant imagine the car has to be running for me to be able to move it into neutral right. Im not being dumb, I am pressing the brake but it still wont shift.

Is it possible that somehow when i parked my car it didnt engage into "park" and is still in a gear which is making it not start?

No weird noises or warning lights before this happened either, just went to start it one day after driving for a few hours in traffic and this is what i get.

Old 08-06-2016, 02:10 PM
1st Gear
Default Please help

Originally Posted by fatso333
Had an Audi Q7 2008 3.6L come in with a similar problem. Inbox me for details on how to fix it. Had 100% success. All this done in Zimbabwe of all places.....
What is the solution? I've been to 3 different repair shops and spend too much money with no success

Old 10-23-2016, 09:21 AM
1st Gear
Default Audi A4 2006 1.8 convertible

Please help Audi A4 2006 1.8t convertible I drove the car somewhere and when I get home car don't start and crank the battery is ok and the day after I went and it start then trying to started a second time it won't start and crank the head light turn on when I turn the key everything turn on it just doesn't start and crank help me.....

Old 04-22-2019, 09:19 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by cruukedeye

With mine it was the communication port relay had the same problem it’s under the dash left side relay 406 or 409 Wouldn’t going to gear wouldn’t start it was a six dollar relay. Haven’t had any problems since.