B6 Models Please discuss all 2002 - 2005 B6 A4 topics here...

Help with code P0501 (ABS and ESP lights illuminate)

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2014, 05:52 PM
1st Gear
Default Help with code P0501 (ABS and ESP lights illuminate)

Good day. I have been trying to troubleshoot the following issue with not much luck with the hope of preventing a visit to the mechanic. Recently my speedometer and fuel gauges stopped working, and both the ABS and ESP warning indicators illuminated (note that the Check Engine light does not come on in my case). This intermittently occurs between starts of the vehicle. When the speedometer and fuel gauges are working, both ABS and ESP lights do not illuminate. I have researched the threads on this, and have seen some posts indicating cold Outside temperatures may be a contributing factor, but in my case it is still summer, and temps in the Northwest in recent weeks have been very summer like. I do not have a vag-com, but do have an ODBCII reader, which gave me a P0501 code, specifically noting: " Vehicle Speed Sensor _A_ Range Performance". Both ESP fuses are good (and I assume that ABS is also handled by the same two ESP fuses?). I have also read that in similar P0501 cases, replacement of the Vehicle Speed Sensor has not necessarily solved the problem, and that the problem could be related to the ABS sensor, or god forbid even the ABS module itself. Any guidance/instruction would be greatly appreciated from the expertise of board. Thank you!

Old 09-17-2014, 02:54 PM
1st Gear

Bump!

Old 09-24-2014, 04:30 PM
2nd Gear

Do you have aftermarket HIDs in the car?

Start with the cheapest and EASIEST solution. ABS modules can be rebuilt for about $200, but I would first start with the easy and cheap. Keep it simple. Since the abs module reacts with the ABS light and ESP light....ABS and ESP have different fuses. Your ESP can malfunction but ABS still works, it's happened to me.

Also, since your speedometer seems to be affected...it could be something interfering with the EMF shielding...have you lost a shield somewhere under the hood? Hence why I'm asking about HIDs...the ballasts sometimes aren't shielded correctly. But, if you are ONLY getting the P501 code, don't over think, replace the sensor first, clear the codes, and see what happens. Note if the code comes back immediately, or only after a short drive. START with the CODE...you only have ONE....most of us end up with a bunch.....it could be speed sensor on ONE wheel, speed sensor ring......but none of these have anything to do with fuel gauge and speedometer.

From what you are describing, however, with the fuel gauge and speedometer, and it being intermittent...note exactly how it happens and when....it seems more like something is 'interfering' rather than broken.

Also, did this all occur right at the same time? Were you driving? Just start up the car?

Last edited by markymarc; 09-24-2014 at 04:33 PM.
Old 09-24-2014, 04:34 PM
2nd Gear

16885/P0501/001281 - Vehicle Speed Sensor (G22): Implausible Signal
Possible Causes
Wiring/Connectors from/to Vehicle Speed Sensor (G22) faulty
Wiring/Connectors from Transmission Control Module (J217) to Engine Control Module faulty
Vehicle Speed Sensor (G22) faulty
Possible Solutions
Check Wiring/Connectors from/to Vehicle Speed Sensor (G22)
Check Wiring/Connectors from Transmission Control Module (J217) to Engine Control Module
Check Vehicle Speed Sensor (G22)