B6 Models Please discuss all 2002 - 2005 B6 A4 topics here...

Help! My Battery drained within 12 hours!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2012, 01:40 AM
1st Gear
Angry Help! My Battery drained within 12 hours!!

Please help. I'm just a chick and know absolutely nothing about cars, other than that the dealer I purchased my pre-owned 2002 model A4 is Ripping me off!

Within 2 days of driving the car off his lot, two of the power windows stopped working.

Drove around, fine, he said he'd replace some sort of switch for me.

Let the car sit for 3 days, completely flat!

He came, said the battery was flat, replaced it with a new one. The car started! Even the windows worked!!! I even drove around a bit (although noticed there was a new issue with the fuel gauge).

Soooo... I let the car sleep while I slept. Got up this morning, and it's FLAT!!! The immobiliser light is off, the key doesn't work, the windows don't work, and there isn't enough power for the engine to turn over.

What's the issue?

Old 02-17-2012, 09:31 AM
Tech Certified

I would get it back to the dealer & have them fix it!

It can be a long & complicated diagnosing battery drain problems.

If i were to throw a guess at it i would remove drivers sill plate & try & get your hand down under the carpet & see if there is moisture down there. If there is the seats & carpet will have to be removed & check if the comfort module took a swim.

Old 02-18-2012, 09:15 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by M5S5
I would get it back to the dealer & have them fix it!

It can be a long & complicated diagnosing battery drain problems.

If i were to throw a guess at it i would remove drivers sill plate & try & get your hand down under the carpet & see if there is moisture down there. If there is the seats & carpet will have to be removed & check if the comfort module took a swim.
Agreed

Also, I don't know why but I've been hearing a lot of stories like this and the fix ends up being a bad positive cable from the battery to the starter causing all sorts of electrical issues. Your best bet is to jump start the car, let it run for a few minutes, and have a load alternator test done, and a load battery test done. Good luck and let us know if/when you have it figured out !

Old 02-18-2012, 11:00 PM
1st Gear

Thanks a lot for your thoughts! We don't have a warranty, so I really hope Consumer Protection will force this dealer to re-coupe these costs... Will let you know how I go.