B6 Models Please discuss all 2002 - 2005 B6 A4 topics here...

2004 A4 1.8t FD vs. 2002 A4 1.8t quattro

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2010, 02:03 PM
Default 2004 A4 1.8t FD vs. 2002 A4 1.8t quattro

Hello everyone, new member to the AudiForums here.

I'm in quite the quandary. There are two A4s that I am interested in purchasing in my area, they are a 2004 1.8t with front wheel drive, 60000 miles, for 12000, and another 2002 1.8t with quattro, 70000 miles, and that one is going for 10900. Keep in mind that these are the set prices, and the dealerships have said they are willing to negotiate. Both vehicles have extensive care records and the recommended maintenance's were performed as well. I realize I did not include several other important options, really, I simply wanted opinions based on the information given. I could really care less about something like heated seats at this point. I'm scared that the FD will not be as enjoyable as the quattro, and I also live in MI, so it gets pretty darn snowy here. Conversely, I am concerned about the age of the 2002, as well as problems reported by 2002 owners that later B6 owners did not seem to have.

Regardless, I would just like opinions on what vehicle might be best for applying to the most of my criteria: performance, handling, fun factor, practicality (snow/inclement weather), longevity, reliability, and the such.

Thank you so much in advance, and I look forward to spending more time on these boards in the future, that is, if I become a proud Audi owner.

Chris

Old 06-01-2010, 02:32 PM
2nd Gear

get the quattro if its nice. research CVT, thats the trans in the FWD if its auto

Old 06-01-2010, 02:41 PM
1st Gear

yeah, i would go for quattro.

i have an '02 right now with 103k miles, i just put 10k on since ive gotten it and i've only had 2 minor problems.

Its all about maintainance, if you keep up with it the car will rarely break on you.

plus if you get cvt be prepared to spend 8k more dollars

Old 06-01-2010, 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by timmay074
yeah, i would go for quattro.

i have an '02 right now with 103k miles, i just put 10k on since ive gotten it and i've only had 2 minor problems.

Its all about maintainance, if you keep up with it the car will rarely break on you.

plus if you get cvt be prepared to spend 8k more dollars
Ah, yes, I did forget about the CVT. I do know what a CVT is, though, in terms of future costs, why would you say that they will be significant? I do realize, that, typically, CVT's are not known for longevity compared to traditional transmissions. I know that gear ratios are not constant, but how would that affect the performance of the transmission, and my experience as the driver? My apologies if these are silly questions, my area of study is in the function of the human body, not of cars.

Old 06-01-2010, 04:15 PM
2nd Gear

Research the CVT here and on audizine.com, you will find everything you need to know. They break constantly. Of course some last, but most dont.

Old 06-01-2010, 04:35 PM
rwb
1st Gear

The cvt's don't constantly break but they will all fail. If they do fail expect to have to replace the tcm for about $2000 if you have Audi do it plus about two weeks wait for the car to be back on the road. The quattro will have the five speed auto or the five speed stick either way it will be a better car than the cvt plus you will get the quattro all wheel drive system that is sturdier for more abuse. I have the cvt and I am going to have to get my tcm repaired or replaced.

Old 06-01-2010, 04:47 PM

This certainly answers all of my questions related to the CVT, thank you, everyone.

I believe the only question I am left with, then, is related to what I should specifically look for when going to check out/test drive the quattro? Furthermore, are there certain replacements or maintenances that I should ask about?

Old 06-01-2010, 04:54 PM
1st Gear

I'm very happy with my 2002 1.8t quattro. It's a great car and drives nicely. I got mine with 107K for $6800...

I'd say get that price lowered on the quattro and go for it!

Old 06-01-2010, 04:55 PM
2nd Gear

Ask if these have been replaced

most important timing belt
then good to know

coolant flange
steering rack
fuel filter
fuel pump
regular synthetic oil changes

check the passenger side of the bellhousing for gunked up fluid, thats a sign of a bad coolant flange. you can see this from the top of the engine. also, make sure every electrical thing you see works. check the card tray and the cup holder in the dash. if there is bad interior peel know that its expensive to fix.

really you may want to have it looked at by an audi dealer or an indie shop...

Old 06-01-2010, 05:28 PM

I appreciate everyone's help. Hopefully I'll be able to make this deal work out very soon, I've been in the market for picking up one of these beauties for quite some time.

Any more input would be also be valuable, feel free if you'd like to post any other seemingly important items.

Again, thanks and best regards.

Quick Reply: 2004 A4 1.8t FD vs. 2002 A4 1.8t quattro