B6 Models Please discuss all 2002 - 2005 B6 A4 topics here...

Lever for convertible top trunk storage compartment stopped working

Old 06-25-2010, 08:29 AM
1st Gear
Default Lever for convertible top trunk storage compartment stopped working

Last night the lever that opens and closes the convertible top storage compartment inside the trunk stopped working. This is the bin that can be closed to give you more space when the convertible top is up (maybe some technical name for this?).

The lever itself is fine but something inside the mechanism is either broken or has become disconnected. Now the lever just moves back and forth but the compartment stays open, or in the down position.

Does anyone have any experience with this? I've searched around the web but unfortunately I can't find any posts discussing this problem.

This is on a 2005 Audi S4 Convertible although this part should be the same as any A4.

Old 06-27-2010, 07:57 AM
1st Gear

I had the same issue. I took the side cover off inside the trunk on the left side and found that the cable that raises the unit was moving freely as the attachment point it attaches to had broken. The attachment is plastic and it had snapped off. Poor design, should have been a metal attachement point.

Turns out you have to replace the entire unit that raises the panel and that was going to cost big $$$$ for parts and labour. So I fixed it myself with a simple U clamp and a small block of hardwood. I made a piece of walnut to fit against the brkt area where the cable enters and then clamped the cable to it. If you clamp the cable with enough tension on it when the panel is closed it holds fine and should never break again as the load is spread out over a wide surface.

You will see if you take the panel off that the surface where the cable enters is flat and you can use this surface to push against for bracing. Took a bit of fitting and fiddiling to get it to work but I've been using it for months now with no problems.

Bet I've got the only Audi with a Walunt brace keeping the car running.

Old 07-01-2010, 03:48 PM
1st Gear

Thanks, that's good information! I have no problem turning my S4 into a "woodie" if it fixes the issue.

I will give this a shot soon and see how it goes.

Old 07-26-2011, 05:58 PM
1st Gear
Default good info

SOunds like an easy fix.... trouble I am having is getting the little plastic vent off to access the mechanism, any trick to removing the vent?? This is also on an '05 A4.

Thanks

Old 08-19-2011, 05:17 PM
1st Gear
Default Pictures Please

This sounds like the very issue I have with my '07 A4. Does anyone have any pictures so I can try to make this fix?

Old 06-02-2012, 01:15 PM
1st Gear
Default Common problem

My 2004 A4 has essentially the same problem. A few times the cables just became detached. Now, however the plastic connection socket has broken and the whole thing needs to be replaced ($1200 quoted by the dealer). I'm attempting to just remove it but the system is showing a fault that the dealer cannot or will not clear without the trunk basket / shelf in place. I'm going to start another thread on the specific problem.

BTW, the first 2004 A4 I looked at while shopping around had this problem too. Very poor design. Everything else about the car is great.

Old 07-06-2013, 12:15 PM
1st Gear
Default Cable in roof release handle is not attached

Hi,

I read the below as my release handle is moving freely as described in the below post, I have found that the cable has come away from the release handle and is just hanging loose. Does anyone know how this is meant to attach? It doesn't look like the plastic attachment point is broken but I can't be sure as I don't know what it is meant to look like.

I have tried to upload an image showing the cable hanging down, hopefully it is attached

Thank you x

Originally Posted by wilsonbca4
I had the same issue. I took the side cover off inside the trunk on the left side and found that the cable that raises the unit was moving freely as the attachment point it attaches to had broken. The attachment is plastic and it had snapped off. Poor design, should have been a metal attachement point.

Turns out you have to replace the entire unit that raises the panel and that was going to cost big $$$$ for parts and labour. So I fixed it myself with a simple U clamp and a small block of hardwood. I made a piece of walnut to fit against the brkt area where the cable enters and then clamped the cable to it. If you clamp the cable with enough tension on it when the panel is closed it holds fine and should never break again as the load is spread out over a wide surface.

You will see if you take the panel off that the surface where the cable enters is flat and you can use this surface to push against for bracing. Took a bit of fitting and fiddiling to get it to work but I've been using it for months now with no problems.

Attached Thumbnails Lever for convertible top trunk storage compartment stopped working-photo-2.jpg  
Old 07-06-2013, 01:17 PM
1st Gear
Default Cable in roof release handle is not attached

Hi,

I read the below as my release handle is moving freely as described in the below post, I have found that the cable has come away from the release handle and is just hanging loose. Does anyone know how this is meant to attach? It doesn't look like the plastic attachment point is broken but I can't be sure as I don't know what it is meant to look like.

I have tried to upload an image showing the cable hanging down, hopefully it is attached

Thank you x

Old 07-08-2013, 03:01 PM
Former Sponsor

Here is a diagram if this helps you guys out

Name:  70813cabA4stowagetray_zpsf4815aaf.jpg
Views: 18216
Size:  76.8 KB

Old 10-14-2013, 08:44 PM
1st Gear
Post Photos of your Walunt brace repair

Hi,
I wonder if you can post or email me pictures of your repair so I can fix my broken storage box. I believe mine broke in the same place as yours. The cable is still attached but the part of the plastic side that held the cable down broke off. I would really appreciate it because while I am somewhat handy & enjoy fixing things, I am a visual person who feels more confident having diagrams & pictures to follow.
Thank you

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Lever for convertible top trunk storage compartment stopped working