B6 Models Please discuss all 2002 - 2005 B6 A4 topics here...

Looking for help on switching to European

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2017, 11:52 PM
1st Gear
Default Looking for help on switching to European

So i'm looking to switch from Japanese, to European. And i've found that the A4 suites my needs, which is to ultimately stance it (i've seen some very clean builds out there). But I heard some negatives about the 1.8 turbo version engines, like they aren't that great and don't last long. Although, there still is this one Audi that has me in googly eyes, and would like some info on it. The link to it is: Gold Status // Josh?s Fitted Audi A4. | StanceNation? // Form > Function . If anyone could give me an I.D. on the certain year & such, give me like some info on what I should know. I'm seriously considering switching over to Audi, thank you for your time!

Old 02-28-2017, 04:55 PM
1st Gear
Default Hi

Hi,
I did a lot of homework while searching for my used Audi A4.
Are you looking for new or used? If used, what range of year?
I recently went from American/Japanese cars to an Audi A4 Cab Quattro and made sure it had the 3.0 Litre with the TipTronic trans.
From everything I read, the 3.0 is the stronger engine with less issues and the MPG isn't that much lower than the 1.8 Turbo model.
My thoughts:
I have never owned a car that had such an amazing feel to it! Suspension, tight steering, acceleration and a fantastic array of interior comforts and controls like NOTHING I have ever known.
(my wife recently purchased a New Subaru Imprezza that didn't have anywhere near the extras as my 2004 Audi A4 Cab Quattro. When her and I took it for the test drive she commented: "my, this feels better than my car and it's 13 years old!" Perhaps I was lucky as the only option that isn't working is the rearview mirror dimmer and compass indicator. )
I've never been fond of leather, but this car made a believer even on cold winter days. Here's why: It's heated seats, both driver and passenger, have 6 settings to heat them! )damn, this was German engineering in 2004!!!( It's a shame it took American cars how long to achieve this and at what price?) Granted, the Japanese had these on Subaru's at least 6-10 years ago as standard on most of their cars.
My experience with Japanese vehicles came from the result of buying a used 1990 Ford Probe, manual trans with a 3.0 from a best friend some years ago for 1,200 dollars. It was made in Japan, by Mazda and sold in the USA under the Ford badge. It had 124,000 miles on it at the time. She lasted til just after hitting 240,000 miles and the only things I had to deal with were: Brakes every two years (less than 200 dollars each time), mufflers every two years, and one blown brake line. I had no clutch, engine or trans issues at all. The only thing that killed that car was Northeast Ohio winters and rock salt eating away at it. The last time she was on a lift, my best friend told me this: "you hit one more bad pothole or railroad track and the back end is going to fall off!"
About a year and half ago I started watching BBC's Top Gear. It got me to thinking: Perhaps German Engineering is better... You obviously know Japanese build quality, reliability and the fact they had a philosophy: 'If we can sell cars from 9AM to 10PM each day, why not have our Service Bays open the same hours to accompany this?" When they started doing that it was a Game-Changer to American car makers! It's as if they challenged American car makers: If we can do this to support our products, can you? I applauded this, though my sister, a Steel Worker, really hated this. lololol.
Here's a list of things I love about my 2004 Audi A4 Cab 3.0 Quattro:
Incredibly handling, tight steering.
The feel of the steering wheel in my hands. (sounds wonky, I know.) It just felt beyond comfortable.
Digital Climate controls for her cockpit. My wife is post menopausal, yet sometimes wishes for COLD when I wish for heat. This vehicle covers it seamlessly!
Seat controls: Amazing choices including Drivers side Memory settings allowing for 4 different drivers. Frankly, til i got this car, i didn't such a thing existed!
Telescoping steering wheel with Tilt function.
Because I got the Cabriolet, you can actually raise or lower the top in under 23 seconds. That truly can be done while stuck at a red light. and if the light changes quick, just keep your speed under 18 MPH so it can complete its task.
Bose Stereo System. Well, Bose has been the leader in Audio for how many decades? Well, the sound is fantastic. Just yesterday I loaded 3 CD's into her. It worked flawlessly! I also tried the cassette deck and played a 1992 tape that sounded better than it had on my home stereo! On FAcebook, after I got my Audi, I placed a photo entry titled: I Finally bought a BOSE Stereo system for a few Grand and look what came with her!
Because it's a Cab, which makes mounting a ski on the roof impossible, there is an area in the trunk where you can place skis into it. You have to lower the rear seat center console first. Granted, you wouldn't want slush and snow to enter the drivers compartment. They made a bag to cover your skis as you insert them through the center!!! Again, thinking 13 years ago: That's some damned great thinking/engineering!!~!
Well, CalBreezy, I have to make dinner for my wife shortly and must stop writing.
I hope what I had to say helps you in your deciding.
Have a good one!
-Mark

Old 03-05-2017, 01:21 PM
1st Gear

We've got both a 1.8T (Passat) with around 190K miles, and an '05 A4 3.0 with about 170K. Both are robust engines, however the 1.8 is more prone to sludge if non-synthetic oil is used, and the turbo might need to be replaced eventually. We recently changed the turbo, which was not working at all due to a burned out wastegate valve. I prefer the V6 sound and feel, however the 1.8 turbo motor actually has easier power increase potential. Previously, I had a 2.8 V6 A4, which I sold at over 270K miles, running perfectly. No matter which engine, the front suspension control arms and tie-rod ends often need replacement after high miles. I've changed those on both A4s and last month, the Passat. I've bought two kits from CXRacing, the last time off Amazon for $100, with zero complaints.

Regarding Japanese cars vs. Audi, between my wife and I, we've owned Nissans, Hondas, Toyota, plus I once worked for Mazda R&D, but prefer driving Audis. However, a VAG-COM diagnostic scan cable is highly recommended whether you do your own maintenance or not. And don't buy a car with the CEL on without having a scan to tell you what the problem is.