B6 Models Please discuss all 2002 - 2005 B6 A4 topics here...

Low Oil Pressure warning light, oil level is fine though & also engine light is on

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2011, 10:31 AM
1st Gear
Default Low Oil Pressure warning light, oil level is fine though & also engine light is on

Last time when i got the oil changed, i used Mobil Euorpean Formula 0W-40. I dont think its a sludge problem. I checked oil level, its fine. BUT i been driving the car for two weeks with the coolant light on and low oil pressure light came few days ago. Also the engine malfunction light also came on. The dealer recommended me not to drive. What can i do? Help plz

Old 06-02-2011, 08:25 AM
1st Gear
Default Oil light

Stay Home? Soon we will all be at home and our A4 will be in the shop. I recommend we all become A4 mechanics, there's plenty of work and the pay is good.

Don't get me wrong I love my A4, bought it new in June 2002. drives great, gets OK mileage. but over the last couple of years the oil light comes on and goes off. The electrical has had problems since day one. Roof opens. Speakers turn off and on. Now the windows go up and start back down. The dealer can't find a problem to fix.

We ate the original tires off the car in 25K because the new car wasn't aligned properly.

A couple of years ago it did almost shut down for an oil pressure light. 1000 miles from home. The repair did yield some junk on the oil pick up screen.

Old 06-02-2011, 11:45 AM
4th Gear

u r damaging your engine driving around like that. what did the oil look like when u changed it. discolored in any way. gunk foamy looking? for one i would not drive my car around with all that u are describing. U will damage your engine permantly and be out 5 grand.

Old 06-03-2011, 06:38 AM
1st Gear

Oil was fine since its the recommended one and yesterday i checked oil level it was below C so i added a quart now the level is fine. I dont know if the oil light still appears. Now im just waiting for coolant to come which is very low!

Old 06-03-2011, 12:54 PM
1st Gear

I wad the same problem with the oil pressure warning indication. I had to replace a sensor that reads the pressure and oil level in the engine. Don't know the sensor name from the top of my head but the sensor was only 78$

Old 06-04-2011, 05:02 PM
1st Gear

Be careful my 3.0 motor had what looked like black sand covering the bottom of the oil pan. The burnt oil pieces would get drawn onto the pickup tube screen and cause oil starvation.
Have seen 1.8t that did something similar but it was small pieces of nylon from the cam chain tensioner that blocked the oil pick up screen causing oil starvation and motor failure.

Old 06-18-2011, 04:57 PM
1st Gear
Default Oil light comes on

Have any of you thought to put an oil cooler on your car?

Old 07-02-2011, 08:12 PM
1st Gear

Ok just got my oil pressure problem fixed. It was the oil pressure sending unit. Audi replaced it, reprogrammed my ecu and that got rid of my check engine light. No lights on so far! (knock on wood)

Old 07-03-2011, 10:50 AM
1st Gear

We have changed the oil pickup tube changed twice in three years, the oil pressure sending unit once. Latest change was the oil pump and the pickup tube. 130 miles later the oil pressure light comes on and goes off. And on & off four more times in 550 miles. Drove on and still going.

The light comes on will decelerating like an off ramp or sometimes while in a low speed zone say 25 - 35 mph, or a long down hill grade. Rpm usually around 1500 when light cones

Old 09-04-2011, 09:38 AM
1st Gear
Red face Final results to oil light coming on

So the finish this saga, the mechanic would not give up. he finally dropped the pan and pulled the crank. one cylinder had a worn rod bearing (where the rod is connected to the crank.) he gave me the parts. he replaced all the bearings on the crank. that has done it. no problems since. this can all be traced back to a few years ago, I believe. the first time the oil light came on and the car nearly stopped running, literally. my wife was two driving days from home. the oil pickup tube was changed and the junk in the pan was stuck to it. oil was not being pulled through as needed, probably starved one cylinder of a little oil. I have the junk that was in there. some of it was the little orange tabs that are found along the length of the dip stick. for some reason these nubs have fallen off.

any one seen a dip stick fall apart? a friend just bought an 03, the first thing I looked at was the dip stick, the handle or pull ring was broken off, the plastic on these can't take the environment found in the engine or even under the hood. probably the heat.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it. so, when your check engine light comes on, go deep, drop the pan and start as deep in the engine as the oil gets pumped. in the end it will save you money and time.

Last edited by Idaho A4; 09-04-2011 at 09:46 AM.

Quick Reply: Low Oil Pressure warning light, oil level is fine though & also engine light is on