B6 Models Please discuss all 2002 - 2005 B6 A4 topics here...

Oil Sensor Light

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2009, 03:43 PM
1st Gear
Default Oil Sensor Light

Hey guys,

I have an Audi A4 '03, having problems with an oild sensor light appearing on the display. I've had the sensor replaced and 5 days later it appears again:-)
I have been told that this model and others are prone to giving this problem. Even though the sensor is right is somekind of electric fault in the A4's

I have check the oil level & pressure so I know its ok. How can I knock this light off or is it possible?

I had my DOE/NCT car test and they would not test the emissions cause the light was on. Everything else passed with flyin colours so I really want to get this knocked off prob or at least temp so I can get the cert.

Any help/tips/advise from the experts.... Thanks a mill....

Old 07-27-2009, 04:56 PM
3rd Gear

what light exactly are you gettting? Low oil, or low pressure oil?
and how did you check your oil pressure?

Old 07-27-2009, 05:38 PM
1st Gear

Hi,

Thanks for your reply - I got a mechanic to check it as he had all the proper tools, PS gagues etc.

When I checked it with a VAG-COM device its telling me the following:
- Fault code 00562 - Sensor for Oil Level/Temperature(G266)
- 29-00 - Short to Ground

So the oil level & pressure is right so I wondering where I can go from here. Its the yellow light on the dash that I'm looking to sort out/knock off. Pic of oil can and sensor after in yellow.

Thanks again....

Old 07-27-2009, 08:13 PM
3rd Gear

well i was worried about the low oil pressure... because usually, thats a sludge.
Maybe there is an electrical gremlin.

Old 08-06-2009, 08:15 PM

I'm having the same problem, but mine is the beeping big red oil can that says oil. I had it all tuned up at Audi with oil and filter change, didn't drive it for four months, 1st time driving it this lamp lights up. I suspected that it was the sensor so I had my mechanic replace it.. Nope. Still getting the beep and still seeing the big red oil can. My mechanic can't turn it off with the VAG, he says that Audi will have to do it... What's up with that?

Old 08-17-2010, 10:11 AM
2nd Gear

Hey guys,

Getting the same issue. The yellow oil can is showing up along with the word sensor on my 02 B6. My question is; If it's a bad connection or wire issue then what can be done to repair it. Also, how hard is it to replace the sensor? I've done the speed sensor and it wasn't that hard to do.

I checked the oil level and it seems fine, replaced it in June, oil is a bit brown but not black and it doesn't smell burnt. Ran a scan and got the following results.

2 Faults Found:
00562 - Sensor for Oil Level/Temperature (G266)
30-10 - Open or Short to Plus - Intermittent
00562 - Sensor for Oil Level/Temperature (G266)
27-10 - Implausible Signal - Intermittent

am I correct in assuming that the words:
"Open or Short to Plus - Intermittent" AND "Implausible Signal - Intermittent"

mean it's an electrical issue???

I'm gonna disconnect the oil sensor and clean the contacts then reconnect it to see if that makes a difference. We'll go from there but in the meantime. Anyone have any suggestions??????

Old 10-17-2010, 09:44 PM
1st Gear
Default same issue

hi , today I got the same issue low oil warning light came up today. I did unplugged the lower( I just read that there are two sensors that could cause this issue) sensor cleaned it and put it back , did not change anything. Did you do anything with yours yet?
thank you

Old 10-21-2010, 09:02 AM
2nd Gear

Yup. I replaced it. The dealership sells it for 113.00 CDN but I ordered it from europaparts.com an it goes for 49.00 US. With the shipping and cross border fees I ended up paying around 100 CDN so it was a pretty good deal. I was a little concerned that I'd receive an after market knock off but it was the exact same part, what a releif!! The replacement was as simple as oil and filter change plus three screws and disconnecting and reconnecting the sensor... Nothing I'd call rocket science.

It's been 6 days now and no problems. I don't know what causes oil sensors to malfunction but I HIGHLY HIGHLY recommend keeping the oil in pristine condition. I replace my oil every 3000kms and use castrol syntec 0W30 (make sure it says "Made in Germany") as that is what the car left the factory with and also what is recommended. I never leave an oil change to a shop as shops have a way of putting in crap oil and even screwing up the most basic of basic procedures and when you screw up a 50 dollar oil change, you screw up an engine that can cost well over 5k to fix.

Learn how to do it yourself, you'll be glad you did and you'll know your car better

Good luck

Old 08-17-2011, 11:16 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by dempco
Hey guys,

I have an Audi A4 '03, having problems with an oild sensor light appearing on the display. I've had the sensor replaced and 5 days later it appears again:-)
I have been told that this model and others are prone to giving this problem. Even though the sensor is right is somekind of electric fault in the A4's

I have check the oil level & pressure so I know its ok. How can I knock this light off or is it possible?

I had my DOE/NCT car test and they would not test the emissions cause the light was on. Everything else passed with flyin colours so I really want to get this knocked off prob or at least temp so I can get the cert.

Any help/tips/advise from the experts.... Thanks a mill....
i have the same problem with sensor lights on. the problem with me is that when i changed my spark plugs last week i noticed that there was oil all over the engine block and down where the spark plugs are. is this a big problem. need help. or is the car a complete loss because of all the oil that is on the engine. i have a 2003 a4 quattro 1.8T.

Old 12-11-2013, 09:39 PM
1st Gear
Default Red Oil Can

Hey, went thru the same thing with my 03 A4. The light indicates low oil pressure, when ,mine was measured it was at 20psi, should be somewhere up around 80psi normally. I thought it might be the slug thing there famous for. I did some research and found one thing was the grid on the pickup to for that year was to small hence it can get clogged or at least reduced. I had my mechanic drop the pan, winds up the gears in the oil pump are plastic and one just chattered, reducing the flow of oil enough to trigger the light. It was a few hundred buck, but a lot cheaper than the 10k Audi wanted for a new engine.

Quick Reply: Oil Sensor Light