B6 Models Please discuss all 2002 - 2005 B6 A4 topics here...

Need Immediate Help- '04 A4 Needs New Engine

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2011, 11:22 AM
1st Gear
Default Need Immediate Help- '04 A4 Needs New Engine

New to the forum and only an Audi owner of 1.5 years.

On a long drive two weekends ago, my 2004 Audi A4 suddenly flashed low coolant. Upon noticing it, the heat gauge was all the way up, and the car began to shake like it was shutting down. A little steam came out of the car. We managed to turn the car off, before it shut down on its own. All of this happened in what was only one to two minutes.

The car currently has 74,000 miles on it. I have only drive about 9,000 in the past 1.5 years. The car was in excellent condition and had been routinely serviced by Audi dealerships.

The Audi dealership that it was towed to said that the water pump broker, causing the timing belt to seize. The timing belt seizing caused valves to warp, etc.

The dealership said it was an unfortunate accident that couldn't have been prevented and suggested that I look into getting a new engine, as repairing my current one would prove to be more expensive.

Currently, the are offering me a remodeled engine for $6,500-7,000 with parts and labor. The remodeled engine I think had 69,000 miles on it and has a new timing belt and water pump.

Any suggestions as to whether this is a good deal and if the new engine is the best route? Appreciate any help, thanks.

Old 08-10-2011, 11:55 AM
Former Sponsor

I think remodeled is the wrong word for your situation. You didn't say if you have a 4 or 6 cylinder engine either. Another engine for your car would be new and very expensive. Another is a remanufactured engine from a dealer or possible other source, and that engine plus labor would be in that 6500-7000 range you mentioned. But a reman engine would have zero miles on it as would a brand new one.

You mention a remodeled engine with 69k on it, you must mean a used engine. If that's the case I'd say your 6500-7000 quote is too high for a used engine with that many miles on it.

So what engine do you have, and what engine is that shop really trying to sell you?

Old 08-10-2011, 12:08 PM
1st Gear

Jeff,

Remodeled, was the wrong word. I think they used the word rebuilt. I have 3.0L, 6-cylinder.

They said the engine had 69,000 miles on it, had a new timing belt and water pump, and came with a 2-year/22,000 mile warranty. I think there was also some credit given for any future labor cost in the warranty

The other option they had offered me was an engine with 45,000 miles on it for about $5,400 total with labor and parts. The warehouse they were ordering it from, however, dropped the engine while trying to ship it..

Thanks

Old 08-15-2011, 05:22 PM
1st Gear

5,400 seems way too much for a engine with actual miles on it, i mean you can if the local nappa place can get one for you, they would get you a engine with 0 miles and im pretty sure a hundred thousand mile warrantly for like 4k, i've always found that the dealership charges alot but im pretty sure its only because their labor is ridiculously expensive, if I were you id look around at other local places first because odds are you will find something cheaper that will last longer, I had my a4 mess up on me about a month back, my piston rings just said f*** it and died on top of my head-gasket messing up and the head was warped by 13 thousandths which is apparently ridiculous but i put it back togethor myself and it wasnt easy but i managed to do it for under 500 bucks since i did the labor myself, my point try a local place first its always cheaper when you have options

Old 08-16-2011, 09:56 AM
Banned

a water pump should last longer than that. maybe a bearing in the pump seized up?

my friend bought a used subaru and a bearing for the cam seized and the engine got fried the same way. he ended up getting an engine from the scrap yard. $2000 installed.

Old 08-19-2011, 12:22 AM
1st Gear

Same thing happened to me. 04 A4. Water pump failed causing timing belt to break causing bent valve. Paid $1800 for timing belt, water pump and warped valve.

Old 08-27-2012, 12:48 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by audiblacky
Same thing happened to me. 04 A4. Water pump failed causing timing belt to break causing bent valve. Paid $1800 for timing belt, water pump and warped valve.
Thank you for the info audiblacky, did you get this done at the dealership? The same exact thing just happen to my car yesterday and I am freaking out a little. Thank you for any more info.