B6 Models Please discuss all 2002 - 2005 B6 A4 topics here...

P0706 Code PRNDS Flashing

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2011, 02:07 PM
1st Gear
Default P0706 Code PRNDS Flashing

I’m just looking for a little confirmation / clarification. I have a 2005 A4 1.8t CVT Cabriolet and have been getting the flashing PRNDS intermittently for the last month. I have only experienced drivability problems on two occasions. The first was the reason I noticed the problem. I accelerated up to speed (50+ mph) then the car acted like it was in neutral, The engine would only rev as I coasted down the street switching from N-D-S and back. SEL and shift indicator were flashing. The indicator changed as I shifted but the transmission would not engage. Even after coming to a stop it would not engage. I shut it off and restarted the car and the car drove normally. I still had the SEL constantly on and the indicator flashing as I drove away. The indicator stopped flashing a few minutes later. The codes I pulled were P0507 - Idle Air Control System RPM Higher Than Expected and P0706 - transmission range sensor circuit - range/performance After clearing the codes I have not had the P0507 again. The other drivability issue was also a onetime occurrence. I pulled into a parking space and the car acted like I had a manual transmission and stalled because the transmission would not disengage. P07056 was the only code and the indicator was flashing. The current state is the car drives normally, but the code P0706 is generated only when the transmission is put into park. If the codes have been cleared then "PRNDS" are indicated normally. R does not light up when selected and P causes the flashing and the SEL to come on.
I’m fairly confident that the TCM is bad and needs to be replaced by reading the numerous postings. But I have a few questions as to how I should get the repair done. Choice #1 is the dealership which I’m sure would be the easiest and most costly. #2 would be me doing the repair in my garage, which I am quite capable of with the right information.
My first question is – Does the TCM need to be reprogrammed after installing, and if so does it have to be done by the dealer? I have seen conflicting posts on this matter.
#2 What type of fluid does the CVT require? I have Amsoil Synthetic transmission fluid, will this work? Or do I need to use OE fluid?
#3 Does anyone have a used TCM for a cheap price? Budget does not allow the dealer fix so I’m willing to chance a used part at this time.

Last edited by Cuda66; 04-08-2013 at 09:32 AM.
Old 06-22-2011, 06:04 PM
rwb
1st Gear

You just need to get your tcm rebuilt. There are two or three places that do it for around $650-700. If you go to audi it will be $2000 plus two weeks. As for your idle air problem, check your vacuum lines to see if one is leaking.

Old 07-08-2011, 09:02 AM
1st Gear

I’m just looking for a little confirmation / clarification. I have a 2005 A4 1.8t CVT Cabriolet and have been getting the flashing PRNDS intermittently for the last month. I have only experienced drivability problems on two occasions. The first was the reason I noticed the problem

Old 07-08-2011, 09:03 AM
1st Gear

p0706

Old 07-08-2011, 09:07 AM
1st Gear
I’m just looking for a little confirmation / clarification. I have a 2005 A4 1.8t CVT Cabriolet and have been getting the flashing PRNDS intermittently for the last month. I have only experienced drivability problems on two occasions. The first was the reason I noticed the problem

Old 07-08-2011, 03:29 PM
rwb
1st Gear

The po706 is your transmission range sensor. Your TCM needs to be rebuilt. Since you don't seem to understand this take your car to an audi pro and have them tell you.

Old 04-02-2013, 03:11 PM
1st Gear

Hi, I am having a similar problem with my 05 A4 CVT (TCM). And looking for contact info for those two or three places that can rebuild the TCM. Can you help?
Rick

Old 04-02-2013, 04:46 PM
4th Gear

i would look first for condensation in your tcm box. if not that have your tran fluid checked also.

Old 04-03-2013, 08:52 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by pa4ul
i would look first for condensation in your tcm box. if not that have your tran fluid checked also.
There is no way to get condensation in the TCM on a CVT transmission. The TCM is inside the transmission.

Old 04-03-2013, 08:54 AM
1st Gear

I finished the TCM repair / re-install at a total cost of $875.00. XeModeX in Canada repaired my TCM and it took less than three days to complete the repair. I pulled the TCM and shipped it on day one, they received, repaired and shipped on day two, I recieved it on the morning of the third day and installed it that afternoon.
Filling the transmission wasn't an issue either. I used a gear fluid oil pump (Item #40714 harbour frieght) to fill it. The tube fits snugly into the filler hole and didn't allow any overflow.
A new gasket was $10.00 from the dealer and I'm cheap so I reused the original bolts without a problem.
It's running fine and no more flashing "PRNDS"

Audi TCM Module Repair and Return - Xemodex Inc. | Xemodex Inc.

Quick Reply: P0706 Code PRNDS Flashing