B6 Models Please discuss all 2002 - 2005 B6 A4 topics here...

poor gas milage after chip and injectors upgrade

Old 08-21-2011, 10:30 PM
1st Gear
Default poor gas milage after chip and injectors upgrade

I just got an awe exhaust chip injectors dv, and carbonio intake. The chip n dv were done on june 6. I just got the injectors n chip upgrade on aug 15 then i put the exhaust and intake on, on the 17th. Before the upgrades i used to get 400 miles (give or take my driving) on a tank. i just filled my tank n im at 1/2 tank and @ 150 miles, so im only going to get 300. is this normal? any help will be appreciated.

Old 08-22-2011, 06:26 AM
1st Gear

Two things come to mind..
You're probably gassing it all over the place, revving it out and whatnot, I know I would be. That's not really mpg friendly so a drop is to be expected.

Second, and this is purely speculative since I'm new to the Audi game, but with the Honda's I use to mod you would always have to reset the ecu after any upgrade. You've done your ecu mod 1st and hardware after that, so your ecu is running along saying wtf without a 'reset'.

I'm not saying pull the battery terminals because I don't know what that will do with Audi's, but definitely talk to whoever did your ecu for the next step. The problem is there, the ecu isn't 'self-learning' so those extra mods are throwing it off without a reset or retune.

Old 08-22-2011, 10:31 AM
1st Gear

To (hopefully) clarify what tthrock said, when you installed bigger injectors, unless you changed the ECU programming to account for that, the ECU doesn't know the injectors are bigger, and is therefore treating them as if they were stock. This means you're getting larger amounts of fuel all the time, not just at WOT/high boost, which of course means your fuel economy would suffer (plus you'd be running rich). I'd contact your tuner and see what they have to say.

If, on the other hand, you did change the ECU to account for the bigger injectors, then my guess falls in line with tthrock's - you're probably playing with your newfound power, which will of course use a bunch of gas. (I think we all would be, at least at first.)

Old 08-22-2011, 06:50 PM
Banned

who told you to get new fuel injectors, dummy?

Old 08-24-2011, 10:15 AM
4th Gear

Originally Posted by olstyn
To (hopefully) clarify what tthrock said, when you installed bigger injectors, unless you changed the ECU programming to account for that, the ECU doesn't know the injectors are bigger, and is therefore treating them as if they were stock. This means you're getting larger amounts of fuel all the time, not just at WOT/high boost, which of course means your fuel economy would suffer (plus you'd be running rich). I'd contact your tuner and see what they have to say.

If, on the other hand, you did change the ECU to account for the bigger injectors, then my guess falls in line with tthrock's - you're probably playing with your newfound power, which will of course use a bunch of gas. (I think we all would be, at least at first.)

Actually that is not true about putting larger injectors on the car seeing that the B6 ECU uses the wide band 100% of the time to adjust how much fuel is sprayed. It can in fact adjust for larger injectors but only so big.

Originally Posted by esandes
who told you to get new fuel injectors, dummy?
Tuners offer a Stage 1+ for the B6 1.8t which calls for larger injectors since the tunes also run more boost. The Stage 1 tunes do not require larger injectors.

If you would have read his post you would have noticed that he said he got the car chipped June 6th with the DV install and then on Aug 15th the larger injectors were installed and the chip upgraded, which means he had the ECU reflashed with a stage 1+ tune since he already had the Stage 1 tune.

Not really a good idea to call someone a dummy if your not going to completely read the persons post.

Last edited by Mike-2ptzero; 08-24-2011 at 10:21 AM.
Old 08-24-2011, 08:24 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Mike-2ptzero
Actually that is not true about putting larger injectors on the car seeing that the B6 ECU uses the wide band 100% of the time to adjust how much fuel is sprayed. It can in fact adjust for larger injectors but only so big.
Even at idle and in steady-state cruising? That's kind of surprising. (Learn something new every day.) Regardless, however, most of the commonly chosen injector upgrades out there are at least 35% bigger than the stock ones. How big is too big for the stock ECU to adjust for, and which ones does the OP have vs what his upgraded ECU expects?

Old 08-25-2011, 02:24 AM
4th Gear

ECU can add/remove up to 25%.

Old 08-25-2011, 10:53 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Mike-2ptzero
Tuners offer a Stage 1+ for the B6 1.8t which calls for larger injectors since the tunes also run more boost.
really? that sounds fishy. my chip increased the boost and I never needed new injectors. in fact, even the stage 2 or 3 tunes from other chip tuners don't require new injectors. a bigger fuel pump is often required for heavy tunes (stage 3) but not injectors. maybe that's why he's having issues? maybe his tuner has no clue? my APR tune and stock injectors are running fine so good luck trying to figure out that the problem isn't the unneccesary injectors. he should put the stock injectos back and i'd bet he'd have no issues.

Old 08-25-2011, 11:04 AM
4th Gear

really? that sounds fishy. my chip increased the boost and I never needed new injectors. in fact, even the stage 2 or 3 tunes from other chip tuners don't require new injectors. a bigger fuel pump is often required for heavy tunes (stage 3) but not injectors. maybe that's why he's having issues? maybe his tuner has no clue? my APR tune and stock injectors are running fine so good luck trying to figure out that the problem isn't the unneccesary injectors. he should put the stock injectos back and i'd bet he'd have no issues.
Not to bust your ***** but you really should do your homework, I pretty much deal with this stuff every single day of my life.

The tuners offer a standard chip for the stock injectors which they all tend to call stage 1 that pushes the boost to just over 1 bar, they then offer a stage 1+ tune that is for larger injectors which is usually the 225TT 386cc Bosch injectors and then also bump the boost up even more.

Even a quick look at the APR web site APR - High Performance Development for Audi, VW and Porsche Vehicles. will show you that there is in fact a Stage 1 (Stock injectors) and Stage 1+(upgraded iinjectors) right on their web site for the B6 A4 1.8t.

APR Audi A4 B6 1.8T - APR ECU Upgrade

Stage I ECU Upgrade gives you 215 horsepower and 245 lb-ft. of torque. APR's ECU Upgrade is the best power per dollar modification on the new 1.8T and gives it just the extra edge these cars lack from the factory without pushing the limits. With factory like smoothness and drivability APR's ECU Upgrade will fill the void in an otherwise excellent car..

Stage I+ software, along with larger fuel injectors, provides even more horsepower and torque, raising the output to 235 and 275, respectively. While not an extreme upgrade, the Stage I+ gives the A4 a bit more performance without sacrificing drivability or smoothness. For optimal results, our cat-back exhaust system is highly recommended with the use of the Stage I+ system.

93 Octane
STG I - ECU Reflash
STG I+ - ECU Reflash, APR Injectors

* Stage I+ requires APR Fuel Injectors. Stage I+ software is a FREE upgrade for existing stage I customers.

Stage I
91 octane = 209hp / 236lb-ft
93 octane = 215hp / 245lb-ft

Stage I+
91 octane = 229hp / 271lb-ft
93 octane = 235hp / 275lb-ft

Stage I+ Injector Pricing Guide
APR Stage I+ Injectors SA000071

Info for Unitronic for the B6 A4 1.8t
http://unitronic-chipped.com/audi/en...18t_163hp.html

STAGE 1
STAGE 2

Stage 1
STOCK POWER: 163HP / 166LB-TQ
UNITRONIC STAGE 1: 205HP / 230LB-TQ

Description: Performance Software Precisely Engineered to Run 16.5psi of Boost on a Completely Stock Car

Gas Type: Optimized for 91 Octane / 95 Ron gas

Installation: Flashed directly through the (OBDII) Diagnostic port of your vehicle (10-15 minutes).
Flash time is an approximation and may vary in some cases.

Required Hardware: None

Stage 2
STOCK POWER: 163HP / 166LB-TQ
UNITRONIC STAGE 2 : 225HP / 255LB-TQ

Description: Performance Software Precisely Engineered to Run 18psi of Boost.

Gas Type: Optimized for 93 Octane / 98 Ron gas

Installation: Flashed directly through the (OBDII) Diagnostic port of your vehicle (10-15 minutes).
Flash time is an approximation and may vary in some cases.

Required Hardware: ◦Audi TT 225HP Fuel Injectors (386cc)
◦Turbo Back Exhaust System
◦Cold Air Intake / Short Ram

Recommended Hardware: ◦Upgraded (DV) Diverter Valve
◦Upgraded Intercooler

GIAC also offers a Large Injector K03 tune for the B6 A4 1.8t. They list that option for each year of the 2002-2005 A4 1.8t.
http://www.giacusa.com/programs.php?mpid=3

Last edited by Mike-2ptzero; 08-25-2011 at 11:19 AM.
Old 08-25-2011, 12:49 PM
1st Gear

It's not fishy at all. It's actually quite simple: for any given injector, there is a maximum amount of fuel that it can flow. Raise the boost and you're pushing more air into the engine. At some point, the stock injectors won't be able to flow enough fuel to maintain an appropriate air/fuel ratio. If I recall correctly, the stock injectors are pretty close to maximum duty cycle even with a Stage 1 tune. Once you go to Stage 1+ or beyond, you need appropriately larger injectors.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: poor gas milage after chip and injectors upgrade