B6 Models Please discuss all 2002 - 2005 B6 A4 topics here...

Water in oil, head gasket looks good

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2012, 07:05 PM
1st Gear
Default Water in oil, head gasket looks good

2001.5 A4 1.8T FWD Manual (AWM)

I'm replacing the head gasket but am looking for feedback on anything else that may explain water in the oil as the old gasket does not have any obvious failures. We haven't put everything together yet so perhaps everything will be fine with the new gasket but I wanted to get some ideas now in anticipation of the problem not being solved with the new gasket.

The history:
  • Approximately 3 weeks ago a oil warning light came on. I wasn't with the car at the time but believe it was the low oil warning light. It was noted that there was foam on the dip stick. Oil was added immediately and then the oil changed later that day (it was due)
  • There appeared to have been some oil leaking from somewhere as there were a couple small puddles under the car noticed the first couple days after the oil change. It then seems to have stopped leaking or slowed dramatically
  • About a week ago (after the car had sat unused for about a week), the oil pressure warning came on. The car was parked and it was again noted that it looked like there is water in the oil. We had the car trailored home
  • Drove the car a couple miles to a friends house to do the head gasket replacement with no warnings from the car during the short drive

Notes:
  • When draining the oil for the head gasket replacement, the oil looked pretty good (not milky brown). I believe that's not unexpected though as the "bad" foamy mix doesn't drain
  • The oil in the head around the cam shafts all looked good
  • No "steam cleaned" pistons
  • No cracks seen in the gasket, head or block
  • There is some foamy looking oil seen in some of the hoses. For example, in the oil pickup lines coming from around the oil filter (haven't taken the filter off yet and looked in it)

Last edited by brob; 02-07-2012 at 05:05 PM.
Old 02-02-2012, 09:41 PM
Tech Certified

You should have compression tested it before taking anything apart.

The only thing you can do it go ahead with the replacement and hope for the best

Old 02-03-2012, 03:01 AM
1st Gear

Hope its not the oil cooler.

Old 02-03-2012, 12:37 PM
1st Gear

might it be a warped head? Not sure if that's possible with these heads but have seen it before in other vehicles. You wouldn't see cracks anywhere and the gasket would look ok but it just doesn't seat right due to the warp, especially when it starts to heat up.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Old 02-07-2012, 05:19 PM
1st Gear

How can I test the actual oil pressure myself to see if it truly is low or perhaps is more of an electrical/switch issue?

We got everything back together but have doubts the actual problem has been fixed. We haven't been able to drive it enough to look for water in the oil as the low oil pressure warning light is coming on. I'm assuming the low oil pressure warning and the water in the oil were related but am keeping in mind that they could potentially be separate issues.

So, got the head gasket replaced but are unsure if that was the cause of the water in the oil problem. The "breather connector" (seen here https://www.mjmautohaus.com/catalog/...oducts_id=3813) and the elbow piece connected to it going into the oil cooler / filter location area had the foamy oil in them and don't believe there is actually supposed to be oil in those lines. I believe this suggests further that it may be a problem with the oil cooler. We didn't see oil in the coolant though, which I believe you also see (along with coolant in the oil) if the oil cooler goes bad.

What I'm looking for now, and haven't found on the little bit of searching I'm done so far, is how to test the oil pressure myself (with a gauge I assume I can buy/rent). If the actual pressue is low, my understanding is that it will take tearing back into the motor and probably get costly to fix. My hope is that the pressure actally is fine and that it's just an electrical/sensor issue. I'm hoping I can get this thing diagnosed a fixed for a couple hundred dollars tops (on top of what I've spent already).

Old 11-12-2021, 05:43 AM
1st Gear

Ak sa stretnete s prerušením svojho penisu, potom by som vám poradil https://slovenska-lekaren.com/upit-g...evitry-online/ vynikajúcich online lekární, toto je stránka, ktorá ma doslova zachránila. Testovaný na sebe, liek je účinný a nespôsobuje vedľajšie účinky.