B6 Models Please discuss all 2002 - 2005 B6 A4 topics here...

Resetting convertible top and trunk

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2009, 10:09 AM
Default Resetting convertible top and trunk

Pulled into the driveway on Sunday and started to put the top down on my Cabrio and it froze midway. I was manually able to close it but the warning sound continues to honk and the idiot light and message the top is not secure remains on. In addition the trunk will not release electronically. Is there a way to reset this? I have checked the fuse and cleared out the trunk and I see nothing wrong.

Old 10-06-2009, 05:38 PM
Site Moderator

Pop the fuse panel and pull out the manual top locking tool (red handle) What you have to do is put the top through a full cycle. Start by locking the top in the closed position by using the access port above your head. (by the switches) Now unlock the top. Jump in the back seat and open the center hatch in the bench seat, you need to unlock the rear deck lid with the same tool by reaching up in the center access hatch and turning the tool until the lip pops up. Get out of the car, lift up the back lid and force the top into its resting place, put the rear deck lid back down and lock it down with the tool. Now do that in reverse until the top is back to its closed position. You must do this with the key in the on position. Once its all done, start the engine and see if the light goes off. The top should also work now. If the top works and stops again, there is a sensor/switch problem that has to be diagnosed.

Old 10-09-2009, 09:12 AM
Default Worked like a charm

Thank you

Old 12-05-2010, 02:07 PM
1st Gear

I've had to reset our top a couple of times after it stopped in progress.

In response to the initial post you didn't have the top fully locked in place. The exact same thing you described happened to me. I thought it was really strange when the trunk release didn't work with the fob. I thought I had locked the deck lid with the tool but apparently had not turned it completely. Once I did the warning light went out and the trunk release worked.

The following has worked for me in resetting the top:

With ignition off. Tilt the back end of the top up to allow the rear deck panel to open completely (if the window doesn't tilt use the tool to unlock the rear deck panel). Then fold the top into the rear deck/trunk as far as it will go by itself without actually having to push it down and close the deck lid.

Then lift the top up and out, lift up the back end of the top, fold the deck lid down (it stays up by itself and will "close" on its own with a gentle push to get it started), extend the top to the windshield. Using the tool lock down the rear deck and then the top to the windshield.

Turn on the ignition (not sure if this is mandatory but it ensures full power to the system as opposed to battery power) and use the console button to open top.

Last edited by htbomb; 12-05-2010 at 02:33 PM.
Old 11-09-2012, 04:31 PM
1st Gear
Default A4 Top problems...

Hi, I'm going thru this right now, but with some important differences. I live in FLorida, so I use my top up/down mech. almost daily. It has worked bis dato, perfectly. Yesterday, headed home, top needs to go down...I (stupidly...was in a hurry) pushed the "All windows down switch" AND pulled the top down switch at the same time...result? Windows went to half mast, AC went off, top did NOT come down...and, Warning light and irritating ppeeeeeeeeep tone and warning light. Went to do the manual reset thing...NO KEY! Idiot prior owner lost it I guess. Went to Audi, saw a guy in the svc lane, same car, borrowed his key...did the up/down thing THREE times ith the key on...no joy. Top does not work. When I pull the switch to lower it, it flashes (as if the top were in motion) windows go to half mast, and since this all has happened, AC doesnt work at alllllll. So...I suspect a switch or a sensor is stuck somewhere...anyone? Bueller? I dread taking it to Audi...if the replacement key costs 275-300$...God knows what a diagnostic and top fix will cost. Any help? Much appreciated. OH, have people stop listing the stupid "Turn your key three times BS"...Audi tech laughed in my face when I said that...it doesnt do jack...thanks!

TOP DOLLAR for a A4 Conv top key paid...

Old 03-05-2018, 01:08 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by desertsnake1991
Hi, I'm going thru this right now, but with some important differences. I live in FLorida, so I use my top up/down mech. almost daily. It has worked bis dato, perfectly. Yesterday, headed home, top needs to go down...I (stupidly...was in a hurry) pushed the "All windows down switch" AND pulled the top down switch at the same time...result? Windows went to half mast, AC went off, top did NOT come down...and, Warning light and irritating ppeeeeeeeeep tone and warning light. Went to do the manual reset thing...NO KEY! Idiot prior owner lost it I guess. Went to Audi, saw a guy in the svc lane, same car, borrowed his key...did the up/down thing THREE times ith the key on...no joy. Top does not work. When I pull the switch to lower it, it flashes (as if the top were in motion) windows go to half mast, and since this all has happened, AC doesnt work at alllllll. So...I suspect a switch or a sensor is stuck somewhere...anyone? Bueller? I dread taking it to Audi...if the replacement key costs 275-300$...God knows what a diagnostic and top fix will cost. Any help? Much appreciated. OH, have people stop listing the stupid "Turn your key three times BS"...Audi tech laughed in my face when I said that...it doesnt do jack...thanks!

TOP DOLLAR for a A4 Conv top key paid...
Hello, do you had any update for the problem you were having? how did you fix it? seems like we have simila problem. thank you...

Old 02-23-2020, 01:27 PM
1st Gear

Hi I am having the same problems but my roof is already in locked position. On my dash it reads soft top can not open. I have released the roof and folded it away into the open position. Then done the same but in reverse locked it all back into position but it still reads soft top can not open. Could this be a fuse problem or am I doing something wrong
thanks

Old 02-23-2020, 01:28 PM
1st Gear

Hi I am having the same problems but my roof is already in locked position. On my dash it reads soft top can not open. I have released the roof and folded it away into the open position. Then done the same but in reverse locked it all back into position but it still reads soft top can not open. Could this be a fuse problem or am I doing something wrong
thanks

Old 04-04-2020, 07:28 AM
1st Gear
Default Same

Originally Posted by Chrissy Allport
thanks

Hello! I have the same problem, Ive disassembled it but cant see what could be the reason of the fault. Maybe the mechanical engine of the roof went wrong? Have you found any solution? Thx

Old 07-17-2020, 07:47 AM
1st Gear
Default Same issue

I have some problems with B6 '03 cabrio too.
First it was working fine after resetting it manually by doing full folding cycle, but now it doesn't do anything and displays a message on the dash 'Soft top can't be used' if the button is pressed to fold the roof or 'the boot is open' if pressing the button to close the roof.
I'm suspecting few things:
Boot lid sensor is kaput because it doesn't show on dashboard when itsopit's open
​​​​​​Boot lid open button is broken because it doesn't open from the first time, more like 5th time you press that rubber button
All above + body comfort module or one of the control modules because windows are jerking when opening them in any direction.

Waiting for a VAG cable in post to connect to VSCD

Quick Reply: Resetting convertible top and trunk