B6 Models Please discuss all 2002 - 2005 B6 A4 topics here...

So what's the final verdict on the timing belt law suit issue???

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2010, 09:55 AM
2nd Gear
Default So what's the final verdict on the timing belt law suit issue???

Hey everyone,

I'm in Ottawa Ontario and planning on replacing my timing soon. I'm prepare to pay for it but I received a response in another thread implying that due to the class action suit taken against Audi, you can have your timing belt replaced for free.

See The last post made by SEKO here:

https://www.audiforums.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=156718

the last time I dealt with Audi Canada on this issue, I responded to the letter, brought the car in and they had me sign a paper stating that they have inspected the TB and advised me to change it.... THAT'S ALL!

Now I see that post and I'm wondering what's going on. Is Audi now replacing the timing belts for free or what? I'm a little confused and I really don't want to spend the money if I don't have to so what's the deal????

Old 10-11-2010, 10:22 AM
1st Gear

Look here.

Old 10-11-2010, 11:08 AM
2nd Gear

Sorry but that doesn't help. Does anybody have a CURRENT update on this issue?

Old 10-11-2010, 12:09 PM
2nd Gear

i actually got my tbelt done back in august, and was curious about the same issue so i asked the service manager.

according to him, if your tbelt breaks before 80k miles and however many years, you get a freebie. however, if you bring your car in and the tbelt is inspected, AND they make a recommendation that it should be replaced due to wear, then they are no longer liable.

its kind of f'd up if you ask me,but what else can you do?

Old 10-11-2010, 02:39 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by ilackav8
i actually got my tbelt done back in august, and was curious about the same issue so i asked the service manager.

according to him, if your tbelt breaks before 80k miles and however many years, you get a freebie. however, if you bring your car in and the tbelt is inspected, AND they make a recommendation that it should be replaced due to wear, then they are no longer liable.

its kind of f'd up if you ask me,but what else can you do?

What they dont tell you is that if your TB breaks before 80k they will replace it for free BUT they will not cover any damages to the engine sustained by the the TB shrapnel.

So get your TB changed no matter what at 70k tops 80k. Atst change cam lobes, pump the whole 9. Best $700 bucks you'll spend!

Old 10-11-2010, 02:46 PM
2nd Gear

Thanks Fuhgeddaboudit,

So is that 70,000 MILES or KILOMETERS?

Last edited by Pablo_Ottawa; 10-11-2010 at 02:53 PM.
Old 10-11-2010, 03:02 PM
1st Gear

Miles.

Audi tells you to replace TB at 90-100k miles. However, over the years through breaks and trials that number started decreasing to 90k miles, then to 80k miles. Most people who own or service Audi's will tell you to do it anywhere between 65k miles to 80k miles.

Don't take the chance. Do it if you are in that range. Also make sure you are present at the mechanics to witness all the work is done (ALL OF IT!!!!!).

Old 10-11-2010, 05:23 PM
1st Gear

Here comes a stupid question, I bought the car 3 months ago, no service records. How do I know if the last owner already changed the TB? I'm guessing the answer is take it to a dealership and have them inspect it? Thanks in advance.

Old 10-11-2010, 05:37 PM
Site Moderator

Nope, you just got worked by the legal system. They had the same problem on the B5's on the 1.8T engines. Audi created a recall to check the belts and had you sign a piece of paper if it needed to be changed. (98% did) What you just did is sign away audi's responsibility for your timing belt, basically you're fucked, its on you.

In my political opinion (just my view here) you shouldn't mess with large corporations/companies, lawsuits are a major mistake, and i mean that in general. Lawsuits will cost you more money and time than its worth, almost EVERYTIME, and trying to tack yourself onto a class action will most likely not pan out. The only time i would recommend going to court for anything is when something doesn't have a currency value, meaning its priceless, like your LIFE. Example: the big PG&E case that Erin Brockovich led that was later made into a movie, anything else is a fallacy.
Replace your timing belt on your own dollar and put it behind you already.

Last edited by auditech79; 10-11-2010 at 05:45 PM.
Old 10-22-2010, 12:51 PM
1st Gear
Default Timing belt

So i have the letter and service from previous owner. Belt was inspected at around 65,00 i think and said was OK. The letter says it is good up until 103,000 miles. If the timing belt breaks. I am sitting at 80,000 miles now. I think it is something i need to replace soon.

Quick Reply: So what's the final verdict on the timing belt law suit issue???