B6 Models Please discuss all 2002 - 2005 B6 A4 topics here...

Something interesting that CVT owners should read

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2010, 01:22 AM
Default Something interesting that CVT owners should read

First off I didnt write this i found it here: http://www.audi-forums.com/b6-forum/...roblems-2.html

Just to share, I have been using Audi CVT for a couple of cars with the same fear. recently my friend's car ran into similar problem, Its 2005 model A4 B6, happens to all Audi CVT from 2002-2006 I think. First as foremost depends on your luck the TCU will goes, symptom Flashing PRNDS on the instrument panel, sometimes gear dont shift and cant move car. This is a US$2k fix, the gearbox need to be flushed to change the TCU in the gearbox, it will sure need one time change between 30k to 50k miles, depends how you drive your car.

After 10k miles the gearbox hunts/slip between 2nd and 3rd gear at light driving.

After persuading a close friend mechanic to explore the gearbox. the grear box was strip with ELSA WIN guide. The front input shaft with 6 Disc/ newer models will have 7 discs, Audi replacement part comes only with 7 disc, this cost US$2k to replace on exchange basis,(you send back your defective core for credit) the disc seldom goes worn if you drive sedately and engine is not upgraded in power/torque, tiptronic driving will wear the disc faster also, so far, no hardcore driving will cause the disc failure. Checked the disc were in good condition.

Remove rear cover and second rear cover till the section where the CVT chain and pulleys were exposed, replace OIL filter in this casing, car was 60k miles. filter was soak with metal dust, new oil filter cost $50.00 was replaced.
On the rear the valve body and pumps. the CVT runs on pressure oils from the valve body to control gearing. there is 5 seals were replace, which will inprove oil flow within the valve body(this can be fixed when changing TCU). does not cost much.
Fixed back the gearbox, 7 litres of Audi CVT, which is expensive about $20/litre. After fixing above, the CVT performs better than its was new, When driven it can wheelspin the front tyres, engine is on stage 3 MTM, 315cc inj + K03 turbo.

Thus if you enjoy your audi CVT, do change gearbox oil at 20,000 miles, semi overhual at 60,000miles. The Gearbox does not burnt out unless the oil is never change and punish with harsh driving. If you upgrade to 7 disc, I am sure the torque limit will be increase say 350nm.for newer CVT understand it can take upto 450nm. A replacement Gearbox on exchange basis is onout US$7k I think at most?

After above information and confirm test results, I no longer fear of owning an Audi CVT. I like the rubberband effect, and fast seamless gearchange once the car is underway. There is no rocket science in the gearbox, just need more tender car and awareness. Though I must agree, Audi is milking back $$ for the development until 2007 model which has less of the TCU failure.

Old 03-27-2010, 12:47 PM
Site Moderator

These are all covered in the TSB's, but since we don't have those posted here im gonna stick this for ya.

Old 03-27-2010, 01:20 PM

thanks, what are TSB's? (sorry im new to the forums and audi)

Old 03-27-2010, 06:49 PM
Site Moderator

Technical Service Bulletins, audi releases TSB's to technicians so they can diagnose and repair a specific problem if its going to be wide spread. There are 6 total for the CVT.....which is a lot. They cover bucking, hunting, surging, torque problems, not engaging, fluid issues and so on. If there is a problem with the CVT, there is a TSB for it.

Like that stupid commercial, there's a visine for that!

Old 05-05-2010, 03:10 AM

how do you know whether or not you have a cvt?

Old 05-05-2010, 04:10 PM
4th Gear

fwd non quattro= cvt. So on the tsb can i take my car to audi and they inspect it and still charge me for the work if something is wrong or they take care of it free of charge.

Old 05-15-2010, 09:53 PM
1st Gear

**** I wish I would've researched this before I bought my 2005 Audi CVT... I'm having a sputtering problem already and it has been only 2 months!

Old 05-29-2010, 03:10 PM

Hi Guys, I have an Audi A4 2.4 (non quattro) AUTO Cabrio and i overhauled the gearbox and installed it. Now When the car is in P it revs fine but as soon as I put it in D the lights near the gearknob all light up like there is an error and the car doesnt move. Any ideas Fellas? The dealership tells me the control module might be damaged. Thank you.

Old 12-03-2010, 12:01 PM
1st Gear

"Hi Guys, I have an Audi A4 2.4 (non quattro) AUTO Cabrio and i overhauled the gearbox and installed it. Now When the car is in P it revs fine but as soon as I put it in D the lights near the gearknob all light up like there is an error and the car doesnt move. Any ideas Fellas? The dealership tells me the control module might be damaged. Thank you."

Yep sounds just like the TCM unit has failed.

Old 12-16-2010, 03:35 PM
1st Gear
Thumbs up Precautionary Measures

I just bought mine 2 months back used. Definitely has a CVT which works great at the moment. I was a little nervous about buying it...being aware of CVT issues in this car. Reading this post i'm surprised my car has done 87,000 and the transmission feels good!

This doesn't feel right...why is cuz the previous owner was very careless with the car as i later discovered (Major leak in cam seals and cam adjuster seals which looked like he had ignored for a long long time, just got that fixed for a good amount of money)....

The car responds well diving hard...wheelspins and the order....and I tested all this extensively...The only thing that feels a little queer is when I shift the gear into Drive the car quivers a slight little bit....but maybe thats just me (I've never owned CVT or Automatic before....always stuck with stick shift)

this baby has lots of miles on her....don't want the transmission going down so if some issues can be avoided by smaller fixes right now...i'll be glad to take care of them...precautionary measures i can take?

Quick Reply: Something interesting that CVT owners should read