B6 Models Please discuss all 2002 - 2005 B6 A4 topics here...

Symphony radio always on/CD changer running?

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2009, 01:30 PM
Default Symphony radio always on/CD changer running?

We bought a used 2003 A4 convertible this past weekend. Dealer had to jump the battery for us to drive it and was surprised by it. When we decided to purchase they put new battery in just in case. But they could not determine why the dead battery. After having it for a week, I think the cd changer continues to run after the car is off and key is removed. I can hear something running from the glove box, almost like the changer is moving cd's around, even when there are no cd's in the changer. Also, the radio can be turned on even when the car is off and no key in ignition. I can always turn the radio on without having the key in the ignition.

If I turn the ignition key forward the one click and then back off, sometimes once, sometimes three or four times, I can eventually hear a buzz that sounds like it comes from behind the steering wheel, and I know the cd changer or whatever is making noise from the glove box will go off. Then I still manually have to turn the radio off because it never turns off ever. I think this running cd changer may be what killed the battery. And it is annoying to have to turn the ignition switch on and off several times to get the changer to stop running. Any suggestions?

This is our first Audi purchase and absolutely love the car. Thanks for any help.

Old 05-24-2009, 04:34 PM
Default more information

We pulled the fuse to the radio, but can still hear whatever is running coming from glove box area. If cd changer is factory installed one, is it in the dash and if so, it would lose power when we pulled the fuse correct? So that would mean whatever is running when the key is out of the ignition would not be the cd changer? If we turn car off, then quickly turn up one click and then back and take key out, we can get whatever it is to stop running. The noise from the glove box sounds like zzzzoup, zzzoup, zzzoup.

Thanks-

Old 05-25-2009, 12:15 AM
1st Gear

That almost sounds like its the a/c vent controls. I know when I switch my a/c to defrost setting (top vents) I hear a noice like that, and when I put it back. I also hear that same noise sometimes right after I shut off the car. Try making sure that your a/c is completely off before turning off the car.

As far as the radio coming on without the key, that is normal. I do this whenever I'm detailing my car, that way I don't have anything else on. It will stay on for about 10 minutes or so and will shut off on its own.

Old 06-03-2009, 02:13 PM

I have this same problem -- anyone know what's happening?

I just got a 2002 A4 1.8T. It sounds like the 6 disc CD changer is constantly checking to see if there are CDs loaded. It doesn't seem to matter whether I am playing a CD or not. It's just a mechanical clicking and movement sound happening behind the stereo almost all the time.

It also continues for a period after the car has been shut off. I think it eventually stops though. I haven't experienced any battery issues and I never notice the sound after the car has been shut off for a while.

Loving the car, but a little concerned about what's happening back there.

Andrew