B6 Models Please discuss all 2002 - 2005 B6 A4 topics here...

Timing Belt 'rip off?' - A4 Quattro 2003

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2008, 04:48 PM
Unhappy Timing Belt 'rip off?' - A4 Quattro 2003

Our Audi is just 5 years old with 41k miles and owned from new. Recently during a routine oil change, our Audi dealer (Biscayne Blvd, Miami) suggested (after inspection?) that the timing belt needed to be changed. My wife went ahead and did this.

My Father-in-Law has just visited and went crazy that this needed to be done..and even questions 1. Why they would even inspect it because a) It is not even close to the manual recommendation mileage of 105k b) How long would it take them to actual take off all the parts to inspect 2. Is this change in any way noram at this mileage 41k.

We are considering confronting the Audi dealership (after-the-fact) to challenge this.

Any thoughts or suggestions are appreciated.

Old 11-30-2008, 05:18 PM
Default Change depends on mileage and time, whichever comes first

Probably wasn't needed at 5yrs / 41K miles but would have been recommended by 6yrs anyway. The belts can deteriorate over time and if one breaks, valves can be bent leading to a big engine rebuild

Old 11-30-2008, 07:15 PM
3rd Gear

There is a law suit, and now Audi Dealers have to check the timing belts... It wasnt like that before btw. There is more info here on forums, search for "letter from audi" or something like that. Also, the best way to get all the needed info is Audi of North America.

Old 11-30-2008, 09:44 PM
1st Gear

It sounds like they were just trying to make a quick buck, but in the long run, like a4audi4fun said, it would be needed soon anyway. I would rather change my belt early than have it break on me. Especially being that these motors are interference motors.

Old 12-15-2008, 10:47 PM

Same thing here in NJ. i have a 2003 A4 with 48k miles and they wanted to replace the timing belt based on age. i did some research and there was some some sort of class action lawsuit so they now check at 40k and 80k instead of 105k. i would be interested if anyone had more info on this. Thanks.

Old 12-16-2008, 12:26 PM
Site Moderator

It depends on what the belt looks like, the dealer is less likely to sell you a timing belt that isn't needed because they have to record everything for all of AOA to see. Chances are they saw some lines in the belt so they recommended it, of course they want to get paid but they wouldn't do it unless they could get away with it.
The 105k recommendation has been changed to 80k at the dealer because of snapped timing belts. I would say since you have a 2003 it wouldn't be a very bad thing you had the belt replaced, especially if the car hasn't been garaged. Now if they didn't do the water pump, rollers and tensioners with it then they ripped you off.

Old 12-17-2008, 02:30 AM
1st Gear
Default Timing Belt

I took my 03 A4 Quattro to the dealler because it wasnt starting. there is a recall on fuel pumps and got it replaced for free, also the delaer said they have to inspect the timing belt. mine have 60k and I got it done because basically with the lawsuit they said you have a warrenty untill 105,000 miles. So if something happens with that its on them. also said that very common in these cars for timing belts to go and they have the lawsuit now to inspect them for free.

Old 12-17-2008, 08:53 PM
1st Gear

so, are you telling me that they just changed the 105k recommendation to 80k? if so, what lawsuit are you referring to? my 03 has 97k and I've been waiting to change TB. maybe I should do so now?

Old 12-18-2008, 08:32 PM
2nd Gear

No matter what you try. your father in law is not a mechanic. If you had asked for the old TB that they removed and inspected it yourself or even taken it to another mechanic to inspect it, then you might have had an arguement. The evidence is now gone. Don't waste your time.

Old 12-18-2008, 08:34 PM
2nd Gear

One thing guys.... How would you thoroughly inspect a TB???? I mean I know you can pop the dust cover off at the front of the valve cover but that only lets you see a fraction of the belt. How would you look at all of it without having to remove the bumper?????

Quick Reply: Timing Belt 'rip off?' - A4 Quattro 2003