B6 Models Please discuss all 2002 - 2005 B6 A4 topics here...

Trany problem - P0706

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2008, 12:16 AM
1st Gear
Default Trany problem - P0706

2002 Audi A4 1.8T w/ automatic (tiptronic) FWD. I just got this car and the PRND is blinking. When you first start the car and went to "D" (drive) or "R" (reverse), the car would hesitate to run. But after a few seconds, it will run fine. When I checked the car's error code, it gave me a 17090 or P0706 - transmission range sensor circuit - range/performance. I have read the forums and could not find a definite solution to the problem. What could be the part that needs to be fixed/replaced??? Please help....

From what they say, the Transmission Control Module (TCM) is causing it and needs to be repaired/replaced. I know it will be very expensive to let the dealer fix it. So if anyone of you guys knows how to repair/fix the problem, I really appreciate the help. I am located in LA.

Last edited by crissycut; 11-18-2008 at 02:30 PM. Reason: add info
Old 11-24-2008, 01:55 PM
eek
1st Gear

Similar problem with identical car except PRND is always on when i put it in drive. I had the engine shampooed, we think water got into the TCM connector.

Old 11-24-2008, 02:23 PM
1st Gear

Same issue here.. with same car. How much we talking for part and/or repair? Is it still safe to drive the car in its current condition aswell??

Old 11-24-2008, 07:13 PM
1st Gear

Well there is a tech service bulletin out for those two codes. The codes for the bulletin(labeled 37-07-15 released on October 10th, 2007) refer specifically to the CVT transmission, describe precisely what your cars are(not) doing, and I could not find info that states otherwise. Real easy to tell if you have TIPTRONIC or MULTITRONIC. Multitronic has 6 available "gears" to chose from whereas Tiptronic has 5 "gears" both allow you to shift the transmission even though its an automatic. If its kicking out those codes I suspect you (if you're all getting the same codes) all have the Multitronic transmissions(CVT) and the good news is because there is a techbulletin released and the recommendation is to replace trannsmission control module. I believe because 1) a TSB has been released and 2)it is a driveability issue, the repair is at a significantly reduced cost or even free of charge. I cannot guarantee that but when you talk to an authorized service center they can tell you. Check this recently posted thread and you may be able to ask him how much it cost if anythinghttps://www.audiforums.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=119046. Good luck I hope this helped!

Last edited by krystallbluea4; 11-24-2008 at 07:20 PM.
Old 11-24-2008, 07:29 PM
1st Gear

Also would you guys mind giving some info as to when (mileagewise) this started to happen and if there were any "warning" signs that something wasn't right?

How many miles on car when you purchased it?
How many miles on car when symptoms started occuring?
How many miles on car when tranny failed?
Had you ever had the CVT fluid changed?

Thanks for replying should you chose to do so. Been trying to compile some good info on the forums regarding the CVT transmissions (if infact that is what any of you have)It will be helpful to others with the same problems if you could be specific.
Good luck.

Old 11-25-2008, 07:58 AM
eek
1st Gear

It is ok to drive but the car stays in 3rd gear. With the tcm not communicating with the transmission it goes into failsafe mode. TRanny removed at 137000km. it is a 5 speed automatic

Old 11-25-2008, 11:54 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by eek
It is ok to drive but the car stays in 3rd gear. With the tcm not communicating with the transmission it goes into failsafe mode. TRanny removed at 137000km. it is a 5 speed automatic
3rd? I thought 5th.... hmmm.... So whats the resolution to fix this problem.. mines a Tiptronic... FWD. Is it something I can fix on my own?

I just want to be sure when im driving it im not ******* something up even more

Old 11-26-2008, 07:43 AM
eek
1st Gear
Default sleep

OK, First what is the condition of the trans fluid black or clear?
if clear -= hoist the car up and check the condition of the connector on the harness from the ecu, it is a round 16 pin mil spec female plug.
Get someone to check codes. Can they be reset after connector inspection?
If black -= Too much heat. I can give you a real good parts outlet in Florida. SOmetimes changing the fluid works. In my case it didn't. It is a gamble.

Mine was real black.

Old 04-23-2009, 06:17 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by krystallbluea4
Also would you guys mind giving some info as to when (mileagewise) this started to happen and if there were any "warning" signs that something wasn't right?

How many miles on car when you purchased it?
How many miles on car when symptoms started occuring?
How many miles on car when tranny failed?
Had you ever had the CVT fluid changed?

Thanks for replying should you chose to do so. Been trying to compile some good info on the forums regarding the CVT transmissions (if infact that is what any of you have)It will be helpful to others with the same problems if you could be specific.
Good luck.
Bought mine brand new. December 2003 but it's a 2004 CVT 1.8T
I already had two replaced under warranty. One around 15k and the other around 30k. Now I'm at 94k, no warranty. The TCM failure occured about 3 months ago. It went away for a month, then came back, and would come on every week or so. Now the error is coming on everyday.
I personally haven't requested the tranny fluid to be changed. However I'm **assuming** the Audi dealers that warranted and changed the TCM changed the fluid.

BTW, I created a Twiitter account: http://twitter.com/mybrokenaudi to tweet about my car's problems, and what im doing to fix it and how AoA is goign to help or not help. Please follow me, I'm trying to get enough followers to get us ALL leverage to get repairs like this reimbursed by AoA.

thanks,

Todd

Old 05-08-2012, 10:58 PM
1st Gear
Default A4 1.8T PRND flashing intermittently

I bought used audi A4 1.8 T cvt 2003 with 71000 miles, i drove it for 30 miles without any issues, tried to start car and PRND stared flashing. i changed the oil and spark plug, now the PRND is flashing intermittently. I dont see any issue with driving, cars goes above 40 mph with rpm being below 2000. I took the car for inspection to independent auto work shop he is quoting 2900 for replacing TCM and flushing transmission oil for fixing P0706 code, is this right quote for replacing TCM? I took the car out of this shop drove for 17 miles now check engine light and PRND are not flashing, could this be some issue with wiring? or with transmission oil? please help me with your valuable suggestion.

Quick Reply: Trany problem - P0706