B6 Models Please discuss all 2002 - 2005 B6 A4 topics here...

Engine is shot!!! Is it the clutch or the turbo?

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2010, 05:09 PM
1st Gear
Exclamation Engine is shot!!! Is it the clutch or the turbo?

I've been having issues with my engine and its either the clutch or the turbo, hopefully someone here will help me know what questions to ask.

Driving "carefully", I wouldn't notice anything wrong with the car. However if I speed up suddenly, or accelerate from fifth gear in traffic (because im too lazy to drop it back to third, then back to fourth and fifth), the RPM gauge climbs rapidly, the engine revvs, and no power is transferred to the engine.

At first it appeared like a clutch issue, but couldn't this also be a turbo?

Also, when in cruise control; when cruising at about 70 or so, everything is fine. The car can accelerate, decelerate in moderation without problem. However, if up a hill, when it needs to accelerate quickly, everything described above happens rapidly. The RPM rises, no power reaches the car. Then, sensing this, the cruise control turns off, somewhat jerking the car a little with the sudden loss of (then acceleration).

Does that make sense?
What is it?

Old 05-05-2010, 07:34 PM
1st Gear

sounds more like a clutch issue to me....the fingers in your pressure plate and/or the clutch disc is probably worn out.... if these arent working properly the engine will not be able to transfer any power to the transmission resulting in the RPM's skyrocketing and the car going nowhere... I believe if the turbo was bad you wouldnt even get the sudden acceleration.... hope that helps

Old 05-05-2010, 07:47 PM
Tech Guru

agreed sounds like a clutch, but you would know for sure if you looked at your boost gauge and saw it to be boosting

there is a test you can do and that is to get the car going, get it to third and mash the gas, if the car pulls clutch is good, if rpms rise and car goes nowhere clutch

a little search would of helped alot

Old 05-06-2010, 03:17 AM
4th Gear

All clutch. If your turbo was bad the rpms would take longer to rise. So there is no way the turbo could be causing this issue since it doesn't have anything to do with the transfer of power from the engine to the transmission, only that clutch has that job.

By driving the car the way you do you are putting it in a very high load which is when the clutch is most likely to slip.

When all of this happens there should be a nasty smell when you get out of the car.