B6 Models Please discuss all 2002 - 2005 B6 A4 topics here...

Wipers will not park correctley

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2008, 04:01 PM
Default Wipers will not park correctley

Does anyone have experience with this problem? I have a 2004 a4 avant quattro. Wipers are parked straight up instead of in the proper position. Is there a switch or sensor that I can adjust? The problem started in the snow the other day, the wipers work fine on all settings, I just cant get them to park correctly. I tried a search and didnt see anything specific to this problem.
Thanks

Old 12-23-2008, 04:30 PM
Site Moderator

If you tried to wipe snow off the windshield you could have stripped the motor gear or messed up the park position. What you need to do is re-set the timing on the wiper motor. To do that you have to get everything out of the way, take off the wiper arms from the gears (may take a little bit of effort) take out the top half of the ECM box, push the ECM aside, and you should be able to see the wiper motor. There is a little 13mm gold nut sitting on top of the motor which holds the wiper arms to the motor. Loosen that nut with a wrench (pain in the butt BTW) to where its really loose. Activate the wipers until they park again. Tighten the bolt, before putting everything back together place the wipers back on the gears resting at the bottom of the windshield. No need to put the bolts back on the wipers here, go ahead and activate the wipers and make sure they park in the correct position. If they don't repeat the process.

Old 12-23-2008, 04:33 PM

thanks for the info

Old 12-23-2008, 07:27 PM

that was a huge pain in the ***!! for those who have the same problem please note that the proper position for the arm on top of the motor is 9 o'clock as you face the car.

Old 12-30-2009, 09:07 PM

Originally Posted by auditech79
If you tried to wipe snow off the windshield you could have stripped the motor gear or messed up the park position. What you need to do is re-set the timing on the wiper motor. To do that you have to get everything out of the way, take off the wiper arms from the gears (may take a little bit of effort) take out the top half of the ECM box, push the ECM aside, and you should be able to see the wiper motor. There is a little 13mm gold nut sitting on top of the motor which holds the wiper arms to the motor. Loosen that nut with a wrench (pain in the butt BTW) to where its really loose. Activate the wipers until they park again. Tighten the bolt, before putting everything back together place the wipers back on the gears resting at the bottom of the windshield. No need to put the bolts back on the wipers here, go ahead and activate the wipers and make sure they park in the correct position. If they don't repeat the process.

Do you have any pictures on how to do this or how it looks like?

Old 12-30-2009, 10:34 PM

Go here http://www.audiworld.com/tech/
You probably won't have to take the whole assembly out, just loosen the gold nut like auditech said. I used this writeup to fix my slow wipers, took about an hour for me.

Old 01-29-2011, 06:37 PM
1st Gear
Default Help...

My cars windshield wipers are not parking correctly either. I'm in upstate NY right now were its about 20 degrees outside with no garage. Is it worth it for me to do it myself? My family owns a body shop so fixing it eventually is not an issue but I wont be back home for a month or so. I can see from the pictures that it may be a little tricky. Is it just a matter of adjusting the timing and therefor adjusting that gold nut seen in picture ten of this article?
http://www.audiworld.com/tech/ext.html
I can see what it takes to get to that nut but is there anything else i would need to disassemble to repair it? If I had a place to repair it up here and all of my tools it wouldn't be a big deal but since I have no shop and limited tools it may be out of my reach right now. Any suggestions for a quick fix???