B7 Models Please discuss all 2005.5 - 2008 B7 A4 topics here...

A4 2007 2.0TDI Steering Groan

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2008, 03:44 AM
Default A4 2007 2.0TDI Steering Groan

I have had a steering grown on my 2007 A4 2.0TDI since new. The dealer said they never heard of it but after repeated complaints they replaced the rack. Still have the same groan.
After months of going back into the dealer they said they concluded it was NOT a FAULT but just a groan. They said the steering was safe to you BUT REPEATED IT WAS NOT A FAULT. They changed the racks under warrantly.

2 months ago they decided to send my A4 to Germany(!!) for a time frame of about 3 months!! I told them it was odd they wanted to send it to Germany for 3 months especially as they said it was not a fault in the car or the rack.

I told them I was not happy to be in a courtsey car for 3 months and said I will await a global solution to this deviation from normal steering perfromance.

It is funny how they say it is NOT A FAULT that it groans yet they are prepared to change the rack or send it to Germany.

Also it is funny how they say it is not a safety issue when they have no idea what causes the groaning.

My steering groans at slow manoeuvring and it is quite stiff and it also becomes very stiff in the last 2 turns to full lock (either way).

I keep asking telling Audi that when a part behaves differently from its required/designed function then that is a FAULT in the part. They insist it is not a fault.

I have been dealt by Audi Bedford (Vindis).

Next week it goes to Audi Milton Keynes (Wayside) for another rack change!

I have owned this A4 from new since June 2007 and I am fed up with going in and out of the dealer at great inconvenience.

Does anybody think this is not a fault?[/align]

Old 06-05-2008, 01:58 PM
2nd Gear
Default RE: A4 2007 2.0TDI Steering Groan

Maybe a power steering issue? My power steering got a leak that showed up a couple days after I got it (new). It made some noise and was difficult to turn. Then it started smoking.

Old 06-05-2008, 03:08 PM
2nd Gear

well maybe you should try bargaining with them and get a better car than you currently have to make up for it going over to germany for 3 months, as well as some other benefits

Old 06-09-2008, 10:37 AM
1st Gear

I was going to guess low power steering fluid as the culprit, but how could they not pick this up. I know my buddies old B6 S4 used to make all sorts of groans and that was from the low fluid level.

Old 06-09-2008, 03:45 PM
Banned

sounds like a power steering problem. i had an old lexus which had bad power steering fluid and every time i moved the steering wheel is just whined. i neglected to change the fluid until it was too late and the pump got damaged. i would have asked to have the fluid changed or have the pump looked at. whenever you hear that whine when you turn the wheel, replace your power steering fluid asap.

Old 06-09-2008, 04:47 PM
2nd Gear

quick questions, this is different from the noise that the car makes when the steering wheel is at full lock and make a type of noise when you are turning at full lock, because i have heard this noise on my A4 as well as on my friends S4 when he is turning his car at full lock... this is normall and different from the TDI noise problem right?

Old 07-10-2008, 03:06 AM

I have the same 2007 build A4 2.0TDI , 2008 compliance from new. Its almost 2 weeks old as of today. First 500k was fine and then the low groan/ knock noise at low speed, especially when turning slightly or when releasing the brake. No one in the car can notice it except for me and its sporadic as well . It appears to be coming from the passenger side front left side rack. Im sure when i take it to the dealer it won't make the noise. Have only slammed on the ABS to test when it was new. No off road use, a few bumbs on local roads but nothing special

The rims / tyres are stock standard 16 inch .No lowered suspension. Have had front wheel drive cars before . The only thing i did do was increase tyre pressure to 2psi below the maximum unladden speed ( in a vain attempt to make the steering a little lighter - it didn;t work ) . The pressure seemed low on delivery

Had told the dealer that the turning was very heavy at low speed to which he replied 'its just like that ' . When i test drove it he said it was 'serve tronic ' steering or some other jargon but . You know when you test drive it you never really test the repeated in out parking manouvres that you would in day to day life.

dissapointing effort audi . you wouldnt expect this on a 10k toyota yaris or honda even.

Will check the steering fluid .

Old 07-10-2008, 12:58 PM
1st Gear

Do you think this could be something covered under the Lemon Law? If it were me, I'd let them take the car to Germany. I would hate for you to get into an accident due to there being something wrong with the steering and then have Audi say "we tried toresolve the problem but the customer refused our attempt"

Old 07-10-2008, 01:54 PM
2nd Gear

ya you definitely dont want that to happen... i am sure you can work out a pretty good deal with audi for this as a result of having to have your car sent to germany

Old 07-10-2008, 02:33 PM

Hi, I have a 2008 A4 Avant with approximately 15,000 kmsand occassionally I've been getting a steering Groanunder slow speeds.The steering is also a little more difficult to turn when this is taking place. I haven't taken it back to the dealer as it is not a consistent problem as of yet. I recently had my carDPP'd using APR Software but I can't see this as being an issue related to thepower steering.Comments?

Quick Reply: A4 2007 2.0TDI Steering Groan