B7 Models Please discuss all 2005.5 - 2008 B7 A4 topics here...

Center black matte section of grille ... what part?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2010, 01:55 PM
1st Gear
Default Center black matte section of grille ... what part?

Hey guys,

Long story short I have a 2007 A4 sedan and cracked the matte black insert in the middle of the grille. What part is this? I searched on some of the parts sites, and THIS is the best I could come up with. Is that the right part? ("License Molding"). I don't have a front license plate, so its just the smooth front.

Thanks in advance!

Old 03-21-2010, 02:57 PM
Old 03-21-2010, 04:03 PM
1st Gear

Thanks! Looks like exactly what I'm looking for.

Old 03-25-2010, 04:38 PM
1st Gear

Part is arriving today. It looks like a simple 6 Philips screws hold it in place, and nothing needs to be removed to access those. Can anyone verify this? Just want to know how long I'll spend before I get into it, if possible. Looks like a 5 minute job though (thank god)

Old 03-27-2010, 02:56 PM

yup your right, just the ones you see, i bought one there myself,was a B.C. car and you don't need a front plate here in Alberta so i bought the one without the plate mount.

Old 03-31-2010, 11:53 AM

wow, props for finding this site. I just spend a small fortune on it. Thanks a lot Bitskyline

Old 04-01-2010, 04:54 PM

no problem. ive spend a bit on there, going to spend more when the visa ain't maxed hehe

Old 04-01-2010, 04:56 PM
1st Gear

I remember seeing this thread before I registered here...I'm liable to give them some of my funds too

For now, I am going to try a DIY and paint the shiny bits black on mine. If it fails, then I guess I know where to get a new one

Old 04-02-2010, 12:03 PM
2nd Gear

SlackJaw, maybe you've seen this too, but people have had good success using PlastiDip to paint their grilles black.

Old 04-02-2010, 01:55 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by eMacPaul
SlackJaw, maybe you've seen this too, but people have had good success using PlastiDip to paint their grilles black.
yes I believe I saw that in another thread talking about blacking out the front grille rings......in that same thread I believe I found an eBay source that had factory satin black front and back rings...They were inexpensive so I bought and installed those.

For the topic of this thread, I just completed a mod last night on the same part the OP is discussing...

I popped out the 2 "chrome" bars, sanded them, primered and painted with a flat/satin black. This was a small and easy mod, and replaceable if it fails but I am using it as a "acid test" to see how it holds up to road wear, as I would like to do the same treatment on the big chrome ring all around the grille and also intend to do the chrome trim around the side windows.

hey emacpaul, on the topic of plastiDip - is it as the name suggests, you have to dip it, or can it be applied by other means? :idk:

Quick Reply: Center black matte section of grille ... what part?