B7 Models Please discuss all 2005.5 - 2008 B7 A4 topics here...

Cold air intakes, the facts.

Old 10-13-2009, 03:25 PM
4th Gear

Downwash... Gotcha... brainfart

Hey, you should come by homebuiltairplanes.com .. lotsa discussions, engineers, plane builders, generally good people, etc...

Old 10-13-2009, 07:27 PM
2nd Gear

I'll check it out; thanks for the link.

Old 10-13-2009, 09:26 PM
4th Gear

No prob.. c'mon over, you'll like it.

Old 12-03-2009, 01:32 PM
1st Gear

Being the "proud" owner of a Carbonio intake, is it awesome? No. Is it worth 400 bucks new? No. Does it do its job better than stock intake? Doubtful. Does it LOOK awesome? Sure. Does is sound cooler? yes.

Save your money on a worthwhile mod. From what I've read, our stock airbox is as efficient as it gets, and a K & N filter will probably do you just as well as any other intake mod available. There is no good heat shield available out there. Period.

Old 01-29-2010, 11:57 AM
1st Gear

What about this heat shield?

http://blinktekdesign.com/

Old 01-29-2010, 10:30 PM
Site Moderator

The heatshield on that 1.8T is useless, like i stated the intercooler does the job of cooling the intake charge. In the instance of your 2.8L, the stock airbox is about the most efficient thing you will ever find.

Old 04-29-2010, 09:35 PM

@auditech79..Hey I have an 06' 3.2L S line and I was searching for a good intake. I only found one thats made for an 06 3.2L engine. It's this: http://www.motorintakes.com/product/...m/Default.aspx
Is it worth it?Is this the only one that's built for an 06 3.2L?Because I read that you said it's a shot in the foot for a ram intake due to the higher density of cold air?I need advice on what to do because I want the sound, plus performance of an intake and can't find to seem anyone who knows about this.

Thanks!

Old 10-29-2010, 05:07 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by auditech79
Ok kids, I really shouldn’t have to make a sticky about this topic but there is some confusion on the boards about what a cold air intake really does equipped on a turbo/NA engine. We can start with basic physics.

1. Colder air is heavier than warmer air because colder air is more dense than warmer air. More dense means there are more air molecules in colder air than there are in the same volume of warmer air. Meaning more molecules results in greater mass and weight.
2. Warmer air will move to colder air.

Let's use a hot air balloon as an example. Hot air is in a state of excitement, meaning the molecules are moving around faster than cold air and they are spaced farther apart. The result is it will be lighter than the dense air surrounding the balloon so the balloon will rise. If you stop adding heat to the balloon, the heat will move to the cold air outside and will begin to descend back to earth. Now lets analyze this pertaining to an engine. I’ll start with an N/A engine first as its simpler.

N/A Engine equipped with a CAI.

Now, and engine that doesn’t have a turbo charger must rely on atmospheric pressure to supply air to the engine. That ratio is 14.7:1. Now if we use our example above colder air has more molecules, more molecules means more oxygen, engines burn oxygen, so the more you can cram in there the more power you can achieve. Since there is no turbo or intercooler on an N/A engine the only way to get colder air into the intake is to extend the pipe to the fenderwell or down below the engine where the air is cooler. On this example more oxygen is getting to the engine thus creating more power. On the flip side, you have extended the intake pipe about 3X the normal length meaning it makes it harder for the engine to pull the air into the engine. So a shorter length pipe would be ideal, but that would put the filter into the engine bay sucking in hot air. You would actually LOSE horsepower here because you are pulling in a lot less oxygen. In short, people using short ram intakes on an N/A motor are actually shooting themselves in the foot. The stock airbox is more efficient.

Turbo engines equipped with a CAI.

I know you kids love your APR Carbonio intakes but you should understand exactly why your car performs the way it does with it installed. So now you understand that colder air is more dense, so pulling in colder air should create more power on my 2.0T right?……..Not exactly. Turbo cars have these things called intercoolers. When air is sucked into the turbo and compressed the air is extremely freaking hot, like burn your damn face off hot. This gets pushed through the intercooler where the temperature is massively reduced then sucked into the intake. I want you to think about this for a second, will there be a difference sucking 10-15 degree cooler air than normal into the turbo that’s usually around 800-1000 (more if the freaking thing is glowing) degrees? Well you guessed it, its not. I can hear you thinking, well then why does it feel like my car gets up and goes better with it installed!? Well I can see why you would say that, the intake is shorter and has a higher flowing filter, thus decreasing spool time. That’s the only gain you will get from an intake, slightly increased spool time. If you put your car on a dyno, you would be lucky to get a 1 horsepower gain. So once again the best intake you could have is a short ram intake with a high flowing filter. Just look under the hood of a 600 horsepower EVO, you won’t find a cold air intake on that. Ever notice that turbo cars at the drag strip have one of the headlights removed? That’s because they are trying to ram as much air into the intake as possible. Case and point, if you want power, buy a good FMIC kit, a larger turbo, tuning, and a higher flowing exhaust. Beyond that, an engine build.
I came here, to do a little research on a friends pcm for him, and I ran into this statement. I didn't expect this from an Audi owner, much less a moderator. A lot of what you said isn't true. The basic theory was covered, but in practice, the statement's not true.
On the NA cars, you said the longer the intake tube, the harder it is for the engine to pull the air. That's only true, if your intake tube is A. too small, or B. has too many tight bends in it. If it's a well designed tube, there will be no restrictions. Most intake tubes I've seen for various cars, actually outflow the engine. As for NA cars, it would indeed be more beneficial to route the filter outside the engine bay. Then again, if it's just a 4 cylinder passenger car, you're not really gaining much anyhow. There's only so much pep you can produce, from a 4 cylinder passenger engine.
On the turbo cars (my specialty) it's true, they have intercoolers, but routing the filter outside of the engine bay, for an average of about 15 degree cooler air, still helps the intercooler with it's efficiency. It won't have to work as hard, and contrary to popular believe, the post IC air charge will be cooler. It's a fact. NOW, whether or not you'll get any appreciable gains from that, is another story. The cost difference between a short ram, and a true CAI, is usually around 150 dollars. Is it worth it for an additional 5-7 hp? Nope. Not for most people. We just jam a filter on the end of our maf tubes and call it a day. At around 400+ hp, we never feel the difference anyway. Overall, most of the time, the real benefit from a CAI, is the summertime, where there is a decent contrast between under hood air temps, and outside air temps. In the winter, (if you're in a cold state like myself) you're going to get your cold air regardless. Unless of course your engine bay is jam packed.
As for "ramming" air into an engine? Forced induction or not, at passenger car speeds, there is no "ram air". It's a farce. You can take every headlight out your car has, you're still not getting any more air into the combustion chamber, than it can pull in on its own, or get forced into it by a turbo charger. And you can take that to the bank. Only ricers take their headlights out, & I'm not trying to insult anyone. And if you see anyone that has a 600 hp car, with no headlight, they spent too much time on facebook, and not enough time on homework. I'll bet you your house on it.

Old 10-29-2010, 05:29 AM
4th Gear

Except.. if your drag racing, having the intake hanging out the front grill means you get the coldest air possible... that 5 degree difference could mean the difference between making the run or blowing the lid off... I agree trying to get a 'ram air effect' from it is stupid, at least till you get around 200 mph, but the cooler air charge cant be ignored...

Welcome to the forums..

Old 11-03-2010, 01:28 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Yearight
On the turbo cars (my specialty) it's true, they have intercoolers, but routing the filter outside of the engine bay, for an average of about 15 degree cooler air, still helps the intercooler with it's efficiency. It won't have to work as hard, and contrary to popular believe, the post IC air charge will be cooler. It's a fact. NOW, whether or not you'll get any appreciable gains from that, is another story. The cost difference between a short ram, and a true CAI, is usually around 150 dollars. Is it worth it for an additional 5-7 hp? Nope. Not for most people.
the stock system and CAIs on the market for these cars, or at least the 2.0T, take air from the front of the hood. it's a ram air system. i think ram air is more efficient than the fender well intake.

if carbonio, K&N and other companies claim these CAIs increase HP...where are the before and after dyno's (from an unbiased 3rd party)? i've scoured the internet in search of this and can't find it. carbonio claim their carbon fibre and tight sealing helps to increase air flow and shield the air from the hot engine better than the stock intake. well....show me the dyno and maybe then i would consider spending $300 on snake oil.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Cold air intakes, the facts.