B7 Models Please discuss all 2005.5 - 2008 B7 A4 topics here...

Curiosity - In-Dash Display Unit

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2016, 05:58 AM
1st Gear
Default Curiosity - In-Dash Display Unit

Hello all, I am fairly new to this forum as well as overall new to forums in general, however, I seek information regarding the information display unit located in front of the steering wheel.
Before I start with my question, I would personally like to add that I am well experienced with cars and have done my fair share of work towards them. I say this because I am aware with how 'nooby' it will seem of me to ask a question such as the following. Although, who knows, I may be wrong and this is realistically a frequently asked question. In any case, my question is as follows.
I have a 2006 Audi a4 B7 and I've had the pleasure of running into a few people around my city that drive the same B7 as my own or sometimes newer. One thing I tend to notice with all of their cars is that the dash information display unit looks different then mine, might I even say uglier... Although their car is in some cases newer. I was wondering if my display comes with the select package of the vehicle or did the previous owner modify the display in a way. To add to this concern I also realized the rear of my trunk has a kind of indented lip to it that none of the others seem to have. I am not fully loaded and I know this because I don't have the auto fold-in mirrors or the auto dimming rearview, nor am I S-Line. However, I am not base, I get my sunroof and radio bonuses.
For the sake of understanding more of what I mean and since I am not physically at my vehicle during the time of this text being written. I have found pictures on google to expand more on what I am saying.

The picture below is that of an Audi a4 2006 with what appears to have the exact Dash Unit that my car carries.
https://s16.postimg.org/y0jvif639/pic.jpg

This picture is that of an Audi a4 2006 but with the display I see on all the other Audis I've run into
https://s18.postimg.org/gi61x3mw9/maxresdefault.jpg

As you can see the one found on most Audis that I've seen is a tone of red and only red being used as well as the symbols for break, oil, and coolant look more like 8-bit whereas in mine it has more definition, I might even say more ppi (pixels per inch)

Any explanation would put end to my long search in order to rest my curiosity.
I thank you all in advance, I can't wait to start using the forum regularly

Side Note: I am planning on starting my own tutorials here on the forum for common issues known with these cars due to the fact that my car has been through all of them and I managed to fix each and every one of them before the problem escalated.
Cheers
Kevin

Old 12-08-2016, 07:19 PM
1st Gear

i think that display is based on the radio options installed. i have a 2008 with the symphony (base) radio and i have the red display, not the color one.

Old 12-10-2016, 05:57 PM
1st Gear

But I too have the symphony base radio and I have the color display..

Old 12-16-2016, 05:16 AM
1st Gear

I have the ugly red one in my 08....