B7 Models Please discuss all 2005.5 - 2008 B7 A4 topics here...

Important Facts to Know - Sticky?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2010, 12:13 AM
2nd Gear

Any person with a wrench ca change almost all of those in an hour or so total. Super easy. The Cam follower is harder but easy if you have good directions.

Do these yourself. Even a novice can do these. Easy jobs in easy to get to locations.

Old 02-17-2010, 11:52 PM

You bought an A4? Did you check out the rough idle when you first put it into drive? I bought one too....now I am regretting it. Hope your car runs better than mine!

Old 02-18-2010, 12:21 AM
2nd Gear

I own 2 2.0t tubo cars from VW / Audi. Thats where I get my knowledge. Mine run fine.

Old 02-18-2010, 07:44 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by trinella
You bought an A4? Did you check out the rough idle when you first put it into drive? I bought one too....now I am regretting it. Hope your car runs better than mine!
wait- the salesman said that was normal and they all idled like that- is that not true?

Old 03-06-2010, 09:47 PM
Default Check your CAM Follower!

PLEASE everyone with a B7 2.0T....Check you CAM follower. I just got burned big time with mine at 74,000 miles. The follower was destroyed and was hollow when it was taken apart. Do not ignore check engine lights. I did for about a month and probably could have saved the fuel pump if I had caught it early. Also, the dealer will try to rape you on this repair ($123.00/hour labor rate) to the tune of $2300.00 for this repair. I had it towed out and had a local euro repair shop take care of it for about half of the dealer quote. Mine was the first they had seen and during the time that I dropped off my car and picked it up from repair, 3 others had been brought in for the same complaint. I love my car but have a very bad taste in my mouth with Audi. I plan on writing a letter to Audi North America explaining my situation and am hoping for a positive response. Thanks for listening to me vent...

Brian

Old 03-07-2010, 11:12 PM
2nd Gear

I keep telling people that these are no joke. I have seen one at 90K miles with a hole in it like yours.

BTW if your FP failed as well this would have been a great time for an APR unit if you would have wanted to ever go stage 2 + and were paying for brand new parts. Brian I hate to burst your bubble but if they only changed your follower and FP you could have done this job in about 1 hour and under $200 if you did not have to replace the cam. GTI fuel pumps are the same and you can find low mileage used pumps from guys who went APR for $100-$150 and a new Cam follower for $60.

You did not mention it but I am betting your cam was also messed up but doesn't sound like it was replaced or mentioned to you. With that much damage you are bound to have a damaged cam.

I wish you would have posted before you had it fixed.

Old 03-13-2010, 09:09 PM

Originally Posted by 2wdBlazer
I keep telling people that these are no joke. I have seen one at 90K miles with a hole in it like yours.

BTW if your FP failed as well this would have been a great time for an APR unit if you would have wanted to ever go stage 2 + and were paying for brand new parts. Brian I hate to burst your bubble but if they only changed your follower and FP you could have done this job in about 1 hour and under $200 if you did not have to replace the cam. GTI fuel pumps are the same and you can find low mileage used pumps from guys who went APR for $100-$150 and a new Cam follower for $60.

You did not mention it but I am betting your cam was also messed up but doesn't sound like it was replaced or mentioned to you. With that much damage you are bound to have a damaged cam.

I wish you would have posted before you had it fixed.
2wd, sorry i didn't mention it in my other post but I did have to replace the camshaft as well. Total replaced parts included Camshaft, Cam follower, high pressure fuel pump and valve cover gasket. What exactly is an APR unit? I'm a novice mechanic, but not a tuner...yet...

Old 03-14-2010, 01:33 AM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by Brian2417
2wd, sorry i didn't mention it in my other post but I did have to replace the camshaft as well. Total replaced parts included Camshaft, Cam follower, high pressure fuel pump and valve cover gasket. What exactly is an APR unit? I'm a novice mechanic, but not a tuner...yet...
APR takes a brand new Stock Fuel Pump from Audi / VW and rebulds them to their specifications to produce the best aftermarket Fuel Pump for our cars. Its about $1000. Or they can rebuild your stock one that has mileage for about $500. They have a pretty classy operation with a special clean room and very strict tolerances and attebtion to detail. One spec of dirt or mis calculation on this pump can starve your engine of fuel and boom, no more motor.

This pump or one of the the cheaper options out there (Not a part to skimp on) is required for stage 2 plus chip tuning wich is about 15-20 hp more than regular stage 2. It also cures fuel cut problems that some have has with regular stage 2 but then you would just go to stage 2 plus programming anyway. This pump is also required for any larger than stock turbo application which this cars need! Heavy *** cars!

Old 04-13-2010, 12:39 PM
1st Gear

Good thread, I should have come sooner...

Are all the brand recommendations in the OP still valid?

I am primarily looking to DV, PCV, and possibly Boost Gauge.

I hear a lot of guys mentioning Forge DV...does this one require maintenance as described above? I am totally fine going with revision D stock.

Thanks!

Old 04-15-2010, 02:13 AM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by SlackJaw
Good thread, I should have come sooner...

Are all the brand recommendations in the OP still valid?

I am primarily looking to DV, PCV, and possibly Boost Gauge.

I hear a lot of guys mentioning Forge DV...does this one require maintenance as described above? I am totally fine going with revision D stock.

Thanks!
Everything is still spot on.

DV = Stock D
PCV = BSH
Gauge = I like Eurojet's Electronc over other mechanical choices out there but it's all personal preference.

Quick Reply: Important Facts to Know - Sticky?