B7 Models Please discuss all 2005.5 - 2008 B7 A4 topics here...

Turbo Timers and EGT Sensors

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2008, 12:24 AM
1st Gear
Default Turbo Timers and EGT Sensors

I am looking at selling my 2006 Chevy 2500HD Duramax Diesel truck due to the cost of fuel. I know its going to be a Biiiiig change going from 460hp and 850TQ in a 6,500lb Tank and still able to go off road and tow 15,000lbsbut I figured it would be a good trade off for fuel economy. Besides if I want to go fast Ive got my other vehicle w/ the Big block 468 lol.

Ive been doing a lot of reading on this forum trying to get an idea whats going on with the ECU's setup etc etc.
On with the questions..

1. With Gas engines nobody ever seems to mention about EGT's or Turbo timers (make sure the turbo doesnt cook the oil and sieze up the berrings etc.)
2. Is there an EGT sensor gauge that I would need to install with an ECU upgrade? What is the tolerances on a gas motor?
3. Is there any Programmer that doesnt make you go though a space shuttle launch sequence to be able to shift between programs? IE: turn off the engine pat your head 3 times touch everybutton on the steering wheel / Dash etc. And require you to drive to some place and have them do the installation / upgrade for you.
4. What are the common problems with the 2.0T motors? Ive read that they use timing belts instead of Chains thus can snap at any time?? How often do they need to be changed?
(American muscle might be primitive, but they didnt skimp out on the important parts lol)

Below is the one that I have for my Duramax Diesel, I can shift between 6 settings and add up to 100hp and 275ft/TQ on the fly at any time with Digital displays of everything and is ~$650. It can be plugged in at any time and removed easily and piggy backs off the existing wireing harness. Itincludes a Turbo time, displays trouble codes, Engine Load, Backdown %, EGT's Calibrate for tire size, do 0-60 times 1/4 mile timesetc. Does anybody offer any type of setup??

Old 06-24-2008, 04:27 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: Turbo Timers and EGT Sensors

Anybody?

Old 06-24-2008, 05:08 PM
3rd Gear

i have never seen anybody use a turbo timer on this site. for your questions on reliability its pretty much the same as the 1.8 motor. i havent even seen a a b7 with a bunch of miles so i dont really know how long they will last.

Old 06-25-2008, 12:00 AM
2nd Gear

altthough a turbo timer isn't a neccessary item it is a great addition for your car and if you care about your turbo its well worth the 100 dollars to get one, as far switching modes from chip to stock (or valet) i think apr has a chip that has a switch using only the cruise control stalk and its not very difficult to remember the procedure,

as for problems i'll start with the biggest and work my way down, 1) timing belt, on the 1.8's tended to break aorund 90-120 thousand miles and audi recommends you replace it every 70,000 its a safe bet to do it around 60,000 just to be sure because if a timing belt break you destroy your engine beyond repair, second, i suppose the DV is a big issue being that they are made of cheap plastic and break regardless even if you chip or not however, very simple solution, a forge DV running about 250 now is made of steel and can handle the chip and pretty much whatever else youw ant to throw at it. everything else seems to work fine as long as you take care and basic matinence of your car. if you treat your audi correctly it will do the same back.

hope this helps

Old 06-25-2008, 12:03 AM
2nd Gear

I have a turbo timer on my car. It is built into my remote start/alarm system I installed on my car. It can be set anywhere from 2 minutes to 15 minutes and all I need to do is pull the e-brake when I get out of the car to engage it.
Many remote start systems have this feature. I had it on my last car (PT GT Cruiser 2.4L Turbo) with the remote start I had on it as well.
The starter/alarm I have now will work for both auto and manual transmissions cars. It works with the Audi cam bus so its not that bad to install and all you need to give up is a valet key (or the plastic wallet key)

Old 06-25-2008, 12:14 AM
1st Gear

So you actually have to leave the key in the ignition for it to work properly?

With the Turbo timer on the truck it was set to cool down the EGTs to a specific temprature or after a specific time limit 1 min - 20 mins.
All you do is pull the key out and the engine keeps running. if the brake / Accelerator is pressed, the engine shuts off.

Who makes your alarm that you installed onyour vehicle?
Do you have a EGT gauge? Typically when you setup non-stock ECU, you have higher EGTs as a result thus potentially more prone to turbo burnout. (not good! lol)

Old 06-25-2008, 12:24 AM
2nd Gear

You do not have to have the key in. When you are done driving, just pull the e-brake while the car is still on. Thats it! now the turbo timer will keep the car running as long as you have it set for.
The alarm is the Compustar ProP2W9000FM-AS

http://www.compustar.com/main.htm