B7 Models Please discuss all 2005.5 - 2008 B7 A4 topics here...

What's best Audi for me?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2017, 06:46 AM
1st Gear
Exclamation What's best Audi for me?

Hello!

I hope I'm posting in the right place...

Since I have a scoliosis (1.73 m and about 64.95 Kg weight, and I actually need to do pilates...), then it is priority good safety scores in IIHS (really good), besides a good driver's position, especially for long trips. The proposed use: cars with high safety, well-built, quiet, fit for long comfortable journeys and that occasionally to take and give rides. The spending ceiling is $8000 (up to 100 000 miles), paid in cash, without installment payment. Yes, it will be my first car and, despite this I intend to stay with him for several years.

I'm thinking in: Audi A4 B7, Audi A3 Typ 8P or Audi A6 C6. I know that Audis with four-cilinder turbocharged engines are not so expensive to maintain, at least from RepairPal. Any cronical problems with them that I must to attempt?

PS: I still learning to speak English... sorry.

Last edited by Lanpenn; 01-14-2017 at 03:20 PM.
Old 01-14-2017, 02:21 PM
2nd Gear

For comfort an luxury I would rank the cars you listed like this: A6 > A4 > A3
For price and maintenance it's the opposite: A3 > A4 > A6

I had a 2002 A6 (c5) and it was a real autobahn cruiser - comfy and great for long rides but I was missing the punch for city driving. Sounds like in your case that is exactly what you are looking for so A6 would be great choice. You can certainly find something in that price range you are looking for (if you pick c6 gen.) just keep in mind that even if the car is cheap, repairs and maintenance are still as expensive as day 1.

Any common issues with the model you pick are probably taken care of by now but you have to consider the age factor. Many of the parts will start to fail on you after 6-10 years so make sure you have money left after you buy the car as I can guarantee you will need to do some repairs within 1 year of purchase.

Once you narrow down your choice of car with a specific engine/year, we can probably take a closer look at common problems for that car - right now there are just too many models to consider to give great advice.

Old 01-14-2017, 03:33 PM
1st Gear

Many of the parts will start to fail on you after 6-10 years so make sure you have money left after you buy the car as I can guarantee you will need to do some repairs within 1 year of purchase.

So if I substitute all these parts then will be necessary to change them again in ten years? If I find a Audi with <100 000 miles with all scheduled maintenance performed? Well, if I mention other non-Audi models then I would be out of forum rules.

Old 01-16-2017, 11:44 AM
2nd Gear

I don't think mentioning or talking about other models in comparison to the car you are looking at would be against forums rules - we are still keeping it in relation to Audi
Every car you are going to look at (Audi or not) will have issues and will require maintenance. Many parts are only designed to work for 5-10 years. I specifically did not mention which parts as it completely depends on which car, engine, year and of course previous maintenance.
Just keep in mind that a German luxury car has many more whistles and bells compared to some other Japanese or American cars which also means those parts are more likely to fail. It's always funny to read that a Toyota lasts forever and costs less in maintenance - well of course they do, half the parts don't exist in comparison to Audi's, therefore they cannot break!

That being said - a well maintained Audi will be much more trouble free but consider that some of the parts just haven't failed yet when you buy a used car. Always keep some cash on-hand for repairs if you like your Audi - it will certainly need it

Old 01-16-2017, 06:47 PM
1st Gear

Thanks for reply. I'm really interested in 2009-2010 Passat or 2009-2010 Jetta too... these cars suffer also from excessive oil consumption?

Old 01-17-2017, 10:42 AM
2nd Gear

I'm not familiar how well a Passat or Jetta runs or what their common issues are. Even though both belong to the same group of of VAG they are not identical. However I would compare the Jetta with an A3 and Passat with the A4 - overall though with less luxury than the Audi counterparts.
You mentioned excessive oil consumption, would you shed some light on that? Yes there are some engines and model years where Audi (and VW) has some oil consumption issues but most of them have been corrected by a recall. I drive the S4 with a 3.0 Supercharged engine that was having oil consumption issues but by the time I bought it (used) it was already fixed and I do not have to fill up oil in between oil changes at all