B7 Models Please discuss all 2005.5 - 2008 B7 A4 topics here...

Xenon Flickering issue: The Solution

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2011, 07:46 AM
1st Gear
Default Xenon Flickering issue: The Solution

Hi Guys,

All the Xenon Guys are aware of this infamous issue that could end up being expensive to fix. Cheaper way around is to try the bulb replacement first but sometimes, the ballast is the root cause.
I decided to start a little investigation of what could be the problem and I finally was able to separate the board from the housing.

Well I am glad to tell you that I found the problem!!!!!
This ballast was totally shot: once powered, bulb was coming ON for a millisecond and that's it.
Replaced Transformer, capacitors, regulator and voila!!!
It seems that the components are made in Germany (same components used in the aircraft I am working on) and Mouser or other, don't carry them
A total of 4 components need to be replaced: 2 are faulty and 2 are weaken due to the faulty one

2 capacitors
1 transformer
1 Regulator

As previously said, I got these from my Company stock and we have specific parts numbers. I will need to go back to Engineering blue print to see if I can get a cross reference.
I hope by adding this, the post won't be locked, but for info, the total part cost for 1 ballast is $59, way better than a new unit !!!!

Well, if you have a flickering issue, the Community has now a solution!!

Name:  IMG_0256.jpg
Views: 11512
Size:  1.74 MB

Phil

Old 05-30-2011, 02:52 PM
1st Gear

Phil,

Thanks for the post. I just got an 05.5 A4 - my first Audi, and I LOVE LOVE LOVE it, however, the headlights are flickering/going out, getting the dropped error, et al. I'm bringing it back to the dealer tomorrow, hoping they will fix it, however, based on the volume of similar unsuccessfully resolved problems, I think that I'm going to end up having to take this into my own hands. Especially since there isn't a remaining warranty. The dealer has a 5 day/500 mile exchange policy, but I DON'T want to do that. It was hard to find the color I wanted with a manual transmission, that's also in my price range.

That being said, your post seems to be the only one of hundreds I've read that proposes a perscriptive solution. I'm fairly proficient at DIY projects, but was wondering if you could post some additional step-by-step instructions. I'm confident I can disassemble the headlight assemblies, but I'm not sure about after. Where is the board? What pieces in your photo above are the ones relaced? Is it difficult? Where can I get the Caps, Transistors and Regulators? I've also noticed that they seem to exhibit the problem more when they are cold. Once they've warmed up, it doesn't seem to be an issue - does this fit the MO of the above issue?

Also, being that new bulbs are pretty much the same cost, or more, than the fix you propose, which do you recommend starting with.

On a different subject, I've read that there is an additional fix of shimming the headlights with rubber shims. Do you know how this would be accomplished? Where to shim, what to use as shims, etc...

Thanks for the post!

Last edited by bmay1984; 05-30-2011 at 02:54 PM.
Old 05-30-2011, 08:34 PM
1st Gear

As explained in the original post, I can't provide any additional information regarding the components since I don't know the reference or value of the replacement parts. I need to access blue prints to get the information and I don't know when or even if I will succeed. The only thing I can help you with is if you send me the ballast and my Tech will repair them for you at cost. Cheaper solution since a single ballast cost $350. Ballast is located under the headlight, attached to the housing by 3 screws. You can try to replace the bulbs first, it's a 50, 50 deal.
Audi released a TSB for headlight vibrating at idle. The cure is to install shims on each side of the headlights. This has nothing to do with the flickering/dipped issue

Phil

Old 05-31-2011, 06:12 AM
1st Gear

I repaired my flickering with a simple replacement of both bulbs! that's it! didn't even take headlights out, fitted the bulbs with headlights in situ

So, it's not always the ballasts (control unit) so check the bulbs first or if you do it the other way around then you might be wasting time and money.

Cheers
Sarge

Last edited by Sarge786; 06-01-2011 at 07:14 AM.
Old 05-31-2011, 10:56 PM
1st Gear

Well I brought mine in, and the dealer replaced both free of charge, and so far, no issues. It's only been 3 hours, but crossing my fingers.