B8 Models Please discuss all 2009+ B8 A4 topics here...

A4 Steering Wheel Vibration Problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2009, 01:57 PM
Default A4 Steering Wheel Vibration Problem

Dear All,

Sorry for the long post but I would like to share my story with Audi USA and look for some advice.

Bought a brand new Audi A4 Avant 2009 from the authorized dealer. Got all the warranty extenders etc.

Few weeks of using the car, noticed that there was an intermittent vibration on the steering wheel, specially and more pronounced at low speeds or when starting to move the car. I was not steering the car without moving it (while parked). It did not happen at all times but it got to the point where it felt really annoying and I did not expect to find this kind of a problem in a car of this class/reputation. On top of that, a number of rumbling and vibration noise coming from the console started to appear (if this was consequence to the steering wheel problem or not, I don't know).

We took the car is and everybody at Audi felt very concerned about it and said it was NOT normal. They kept the car for almost a month and a number of parts were replaced, including the steering wheel itself and other components of the front suspension. They got to the point where all four tires and wheels were replaced. Nothing seemed to help. They claimed that all those changes were directed by the engineers straight from Germany and at the end of the day they did not have a solution for us at that point. Claiming that this was not a safety issue, the car was returned to us. Regarding the vibrating noise inside the car, a rubber piece was replaced.

Had the car for a few more weeks but the vibration problem seemed to occur more frequently and more pronounced. Concerned about what impact this could cause on the car and eventually parts related to the suspension and steering mechanism on the long run, I took the car back to the dealer. The car was in for a few more weeks. Again, parts were changed and no fix was found. This time they claimed that a number of other 2009 A4s were also having the same issue. Again they said this was not a safety issue, therefore the car was returned to us. Since we were very reluctant to get this defective car back, the manager advised us that AUDI USA would contact us for a solution (#1 replacement of the car with an identical one, #2 option to get a different Audi, or #3 termination of the lease and refund). We thought that this was reasonable and we though that the problem would have a solution.

Audi USA called and left a message on the answering machine. We then spent the next month and a half calling this person (Mr. B), almost on a daily basis and leaving messages. The person was never reached and never returned the call. We got really frustrated and called the general Audi USA number. Once able to talk to someone, they were able to reach immediately Mr. B, which did not come to the phone to talk to us, but rather send the following message: "this steering wheel vibration is not a safety issue, it's a "feature" of the new 2009 A4 and there is nothing we can do for you, you should talk to the dealer that sold you the car".

Although they claimed this not to be a safety issue, this is clearly a defective car. First I don't think I can let my wife and kids ride in a car that only after replacing all the parts they came to the conclusion that this is not a safety issue. Second, it seems that they had no clue what they were doing when disassembling the car and replacing parts without a clear diagnosis of what was wrong with it in the first place. It makes me wonder if they were actually competent to put the car back together.

Another point is that this vibration problem really depreciates the car. I can imagine trying to sell this car and telling the prospective buyer that this vibration is a "feature" of the 2009 car and does not represents a safety issue

Well, the car is back on the dealer and no solution so far. The manager was very keen on trying to help and contact AUDI USA himself to get a solution. I am not taking this car back and will have to go to the legal way if necessary (after all, this already qualifies the car under the lemon law in my state).

I would like to know if anyone else has experienced a problem like that. I noticed another thread in this Forum about a similar problem that no fix have been found so far. Any thought would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Old 07-18-2009, 09:40 AM

Where are you located?
In the states, we have Lemon Laws for just this type of thing. The law varies from state to state but the basic premise is simple. If a dealer can not fix a problem after "X" number of tries, they either have to replace the car, refund the money or somehow satisfy the customer. If Audi USA is being very hard to deal with, ask to begin the arbitration process....and be sure to keep every bit of "evidence" you can from your service visits, emails, etc.
Good Luck!!

Old 07-20-2009, 02:22 PM

Thank you Poppy,

It does seem that the car is a lemon. We will be contacting a lawyer to have the car returned.

Old 07-21-2009, 12:27 PM

Yea their is no question that Audi did not do the proper testing in regards to the steering vibration. I think it has something to to with the servotronic speed sensitive steering and while you are stopped and cutting the wheel to get out of a parking space it starts to shutter.... It's like the power steering doesn't have enough juice to turn the wheels while the car is stopped, so the wheels shutter... whatever the reason is...it is because Audi didn't test enough and the steering is fucked up... I think the **** is about to hit the fan unless Audi starts sending out A4s with fixed steering... They are not going to want to have to redesign a new steering system and then install them on ALL the A4's out their already... that's just not going to happen... But I do think that it is just a shutter that the car makes when moving slowly and turning the wheel quickly and I don't think it's a SERIOUS safety issue like A4avant2009 thinks it is.

Old 07-22-2009, 11:44 AM

So I was backing out of a tight parking space yesterday, which required me turning the wheel from lock to lock so I tried to do it really slowly..I mean super slow and it didn't shutter like when you spin the wheels quickly...Although this is in no way a solution to the problem....you have to spin the wheel so slow that anyone in your car would make a comment about how slow you are turning your wheel....

Old 07-29-2009, 01:26 AM

Thank you for the reply Takethetest,

Although it does not seem to be a safety issue at the moment, I wonder the repercussion of this problem on the long run. I did not buy a car to keep it for 5 years. If it is defective, should be replaced. Same if you buy a blue car, next morning the car is purple... not a safety issue, but I bet you would want your blue car back. Next problem is resell value... It won't be easy to explain to someone trying to buy the car that this is no big deal...

Old 07-30-2009, 07:25 PM
1st Gear
Default I have the same problem...

Just confirming for others out there. I have the same exact problem with the steering vibrations at low speed.

Old 07-30-2009, 09:40 PM

Are you guys talking about very low speeds like when you are coming out of a parking space or low speeds like taking a right at a small street?

Old 08-02-2009, 09:15 PM
1st Gear
Default Mostly coming in/out of parking spaces

The steering wheel vibration tends to happen more when coming in and out of a parking spot. I have not noticed it taking slow turns but I wouldnt be surprised if it happens if I take a turn slow enough...

Who else is having these problems? I also have an Avant so I wonder if this is specific to the Avant's only..

Old 08-08-2009, 10:49 AM
1st Gear
Default another Avant owner, same problems and more

I have this thread problem, the shifting problem noted in another thread I started, and the tire vibration at highway speeds...is there a TSB to get tires replaced (either way I'm heading that direction.) In regards to the tire vibration, we took it to our local tire guy (this tire place is spectacular and our Audi is NOT). Anyway, long story short, he said that the Pirelli's either come in a good batch or a crap batch...and we have a crap batch...despite his efforts he could not get them in balance...so they are being replaced one way or another.
Not to get on another rant...but...I feel a little stupid stepping up and buying this beautiful blue Avant since a little over a year ago I had similar issues with a Q7...I guess lesson learned, unless something turns around this will be my last Audi.

Last edited by proforged; 09-07-2009 at 11:38 AM.

Quick Reply: A4 Steering Wheel Vibration Problem